"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quite frankly, it wouldn't hurt any of us to follow these rules.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:20 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Constance, that is certainly right. Too bad we don't see much need for change until it has the almost immediate potential for harming our health. The things presented in this thread are very helpful and I appreciate all who have contributed the information.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Also, the American Diabetes Association offers a few cookbooks for sale on makiing healthy recipes. I think some of them are what we normally eat today, but with a few miner adjustments.

For those who still dream of having eggplant parm, which I still love and used to eat over spaghetti, a slice of toasted whole-grain bread can be substituted for the pasta.

Olive or canola oil still is good for sauteing veggies band making salad dressings because it has no saturated fats that would otherwise add calories.

Tropical and palmseed oils are a no-no.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who is also a diabetic. She told me that she had just made a heart-attack breakfast!! Do you all know what a heart-attack breakfast is? I'm sure that you do. It's fried or scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon and home fries, usually with toast as well. Sometimes, pancakes and or French toast is served with it also. Heart attack city!!

As everyone knows, that stuff is loaded with animal fat with produces cholesterol, and it also has a ton of salt. Guess I'll be eating fruit and cereal for breakfast from now on.

No more subs, pizza, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, or dried beans for a while!

~Corey123.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #44
Master Chef

I had an older friend who's husband had a really bad, hard to control type of diabetes. This was 30 years ago, and there weren't as many medications available as they are now.
Otto did well with Chinese food, though. These days, we have access to all kinds of Oriental foods, so there's an idea for you. If you go easy on portions, I don't think a little brown rice will hurt.

There ought to be a way to make pizza for diabetics. I'm going to work on that one, as it is one of my daughters favorite foods.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Not so much the tomato sauce on the pizza, but the crust is the main objection. I heard of a Sasarian crust (don't know if I'm pronouncing it right) pizza that supposed to have a lot less starch in the crust.

Is there any truth to that? Low-fat mozzarella can be used in place of regular
mozzarella though.

~Corey123.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #46
Master Chef

Corey, I've seen pizzas with crust as thin as a cracker. I think if you go with that type, you should be OK.
Tomato sauce does have some sugar in it. Some recipes call for spreading on tomato paste and sprinkling with your own seasonings.
Also, watch your toppings. Use ground turkey or turkey sausage for your meat.
There are also all those wonderful California style pizzas that don't even use tomato sauce. You could just brush the top with garlic infused olive oil, top with slices of fresh tomatoes, low-fat cheese and fresh basil.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
The doctor prescribed some Metformin, if any of you are familiar with that
kind.
Since he said that I'm just borderline (type 2) right now, this medicine should help keep the excess blood sugar under control.

~Corey123.
I used to take metformin for my Sydrome X and PCOS. I thought it was excellent. The good news for me isd that I am now able to me a little more active and control my diet more and I no longer need it, but its an ok drug.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Actually, there IS a pizzaria in Providence on Federal Hill called Sicillia's.

And thedy do have a crispy-thin pizza crust which I like a lot. But I'm not sure of the amount of starch that's in the crust.

I've always made my own homemade tomato sauce or marinara, as it's sometimes called. So I can control what goes in it. I never did like premade spaghetti sauce. And it's shelf life is very short, so if you don't try to use it up within about six months, the taste is gone.

It doesn't spoil, it just loses it's flavor and taste, becoming very bland and tasteless!

And yes, ground chicken or turkey IS a more healthful alternative to regular hamburger. I just bought some ground beef two weeks ago, vacuum-sealed it and put it in the freezer. But I usually drain the fat from it after its cooked to cut the calories in it.

Sauce can also be made with no meat and used as a vegetarian sauce as well over spaghetti squash. I do this when I'm making veal or eggplant parm.

~Corey123.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #49
Executive Chef

I went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up mainly fruits veggies, fuit-flavored water, 1% milk and diet soda.

No starches or sweets except for brown rice and low-cal sugar.
Not sure of the starch content that's in brown rice, but I heard that it's supposed to be the much healthier alternative to white rice.

~Corey123.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
the starch content that's in brown rice, but I heard that it's supposed to be the much healthier alternative to white rice
White rice is bleached and the fiber is removed.

Note that you will have to cook the brown rice longer and use a bit more water. About 2-1/3 cups water to 1 cup rice. Mine takes about 45 minutes in a rice cooker.