"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-15-2006, 10:46 PM   #71
Executive Chef

Black lungs? Are you a smoker?

I hope there's no bad news and that everything shows up normal or negative.
Please keep us posted.

Corey123.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #72
Master Chef

Yes, Corey, I've been smoking for 45 years. Also did a lot of damage to lungs in the greenhouse, due to exposure to chemicals, peat moss and vermiculite.
I'm trying to quit, but it's hard.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #73
Executive Chef

OMG!

Have you tried wearing the patch? I did for a few days , and I've been smoke-free for almost 12 years now.

~Corey123.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I went to the doctor last Tuesday, and he ordered a round of bloodwork and a chest x-ray. The nurse called me today and said that my triglycerides were 525, and my sugar was 281. My potassium was also extremely low.
They called in scrips for Tricore, Glicotrol, and raised my dosage on the potassium.
She was also insistant that I see the doctor next week, and passed me on to the receptionist, who made me an appointment for Tuesday. I hope it's not about the nasty looking chest x-ray...lungs are black.

Looks like it's time to change my wicked ways.
Connie, I just don't know what's going on. So many people are diabetic now. It truly is an epidemic. I never knew the extent of the disease, or how many people had the condition until I was diagnosed with it. I thought it was somewhat rare. Now I know so many people with it.

And that smoking thing, well I don't need to say anything more about that. Not being a smoker, but having a father who smoked almost until he died, and watching him try to kick the habit so many times, I know it's hard. I have a son who smokes and he's tried to quit several time now. I jsut don't understand why anyone in this day & age would start. I understand how people in the 50s, 60s, and even the early 70s would start. But everyone knows it's bad for you now. I just don't understand.

But I will pray for you, that you will be given the strength to beat the tobaco, and control the blood chemistry.

Seeeeeyal Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #75
Executive Chef

It's now an epidemic.

The effort to get many people to see if they have the disease, or are at risk of getting it are astronomical.

~Corey123.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:43 PM   #76
Sous Chef

Interesting thread!

Husband quit smoking about 8 1/2 years ago using Zyban. FYI, it is the exact same drug as the anti-depressant Wellbutrin (available as a generic). Insurance would not pay for Zyban, but would have paid for Wellbutrin. It was money well spent, but if we could hsve paid less it wpuld have been nice.

He was diagnosed with diabetes 1 1/2 years ago. He is on Metformin and Lipitor as high cholesterol and high triglycerides tend to go hand in hand with diabetes. We both went to diabetes education classes. He was given a diet, which he does not follow to the letter, but does follow the principles of it. He spreads his carbs throughout the day, instead of having just 3 larger meals. We learned that a serving of carbs is generally considered to be 12-18 grams. It is better to eat fewer "white" carbs (eg. refined white flour, white sugar, white potatoes) and eat more veggies, whole fruits, pastas and breads that are whole grain. He does watch what he eats and his control is very good. He A1C is usually under 6.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #77
Executive Chef

I'm also on Metformin.

It is taken during the main meal of the day.

~Corey123.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #78
DC Grandma

Same here Corey...
Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #79
Master Chef

When I went back to the doctor Tuesday, I got some good news. He said my chest x-ray was normal. I don't get it...but the x-ray wasn't on the light board when I saw it, so perhaps I just didn't see it properly.
I don't know, though. I have about decided that he's incompetent. He prescribed meds for the high triglycerides without noticing that I was already on Lopid, which I had been out of for a week before the tests...could have made a difference in the results. When I called today to ask if I should be taking both, they said, "Oh, No! Quit taking the Tricore!"
I had also been questioning him for some time about my potassium. He had me on 1/4 the amount I used to take. I was having horrible muscle cramps, not only in my legs and feet, but also my sides and belly. The minute they increased the amount, the cramps quit. My seizures also seemed to have stopped. When I asked him if they could have been caused by the low potassium, he just stared at the chart and said he didn't think so.

I do know I'm feeling much better. I have cut way back on the Carlton cigarettes (which are mostly air anyway), and have been eating much healthier.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #80
Executive Chef

So glad to hear it!!

Hopefully soon, you can ween yourself off of smoking entirely. It's hard, I know. I quit twice.

~Corey123.

~Corey123.