"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 06-11-2006, 04:13 AM   #11
Executive Chef
In our diabetic education class, we are told to count carbohydrates and that has become so much easier than anything we had done before. We aren't on a low carb diet, but we do count. What has surprised me is how healthy and still tasty a meal can be. Everything is available, but wise choices are what makes the difference. Fats haven't been a problem since the only fried food we have is chicken and that isn't often.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Ha, I tried counting the calories in what I normally eat, and I'm really not that bad, but it made me realize how much of a difference it makes when you eat whole wheat stuff bread of pasta instead of bleached, light mayo or cream cheese instead of regular, use pam instead of cooking oil, 2% milk instead of whole and so on. I never realized.

Corazon, since you have to fix meals for your kids, doesn't that help you? I mean since it's already made, you can take the time to sit down with them and eat well, right? Or are they not at that age yet?

biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Once you get used to it, it becomes easy.

First, you have to choose the correct amount of calories for your daily limit.

Then, you have to accurately calculate the calories in what you eat.

Third, you can lose weight by limiting your intake and by burning more calories by increasing your activity levels (exercise).
Well said!

Once, quite some time ago, I put myself on a 1200 calorie a day diet(?) to knock off a few pounds. Picked up a little calorie-counter booklet at the market checkout stand, and circled my fave foods. Foods were listed in catagories i.e. veggies, fruit, chicken etc., and planned meals accordingly. (I didn't exercise, because my lifestyle was active enough, and hey, I was in my 20s.) I made substitutions like, lite mayo - bout a tsp in a tuna salad, 1/2 tsp sugar sub in coffee, etc. My meals went something like this:

lunch - tuna, packed in water (very little or no mayo), tomatoes, lettuce
or half a cantaloupe with a scoop of cottage cheese, maybe a cracker or two.

Dinnner - grilled chicken breast (w lemon-pepper seasoning), steamed broc, baked potato - no butter - butter buds

Or grilled fish - salmon, a veggie (steamed - no butter - butter buds), salad or a potato.

Snacks - fresh fruits

There were many foods to choose from in the booklet that I liked - as long as you stay at 1200 (my # of choice) calories a day. 1200, aint much - so you won't have to count carbs or fat. At the time, it was a choice to change my eating habits - not just go on a diet. Lost the 10 pounds in about 6 weeks, and kept it off for years.

Your body changes as you get older. If you lick a cookie after 30, you'll have to run a marathon to take it off j/k. Good luck.

btw, recently I tried Nutrisystem - the food is bland & tasteless, and you have to add in veggie, fruit, dairy plus the cost of the food. The portions are very small. Some meals(?) I would try again, but over all a waste of money.

Added: Also took vitamins and drank lots of water.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #14
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I've got everything I cook in DietPro. I don't actively count calories, but I'm certainly aware of what I'm putting in my mouth. I also use it to adjust my recipes to be more heath conscious.

When I get into a food funk, I start actively tracking everything that passes my lips. And DietPro does a good job with it's food calendar. That usually gets me back on track.
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #15
Executive Chef
There's a small little paperback book out that's called The Calorie King: Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter. I bought one while I was at the Joslin Diabetes Clinic.

It costs about $8.00. You can probably get it by visiting http://www.CalorieKing.com. You might be able to find a ton of stuff there that is quite valuable!

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by biev
Corazon, since you have to fix meals for your kids, doesn't that help you? I mean since it's already made, you can take the time to sit down with them and eat well, right? Or are they not at that age yet?
Sometimes it helps. Aidan will eat simple things. Like if I make spagetti, he'll eat noodles. So if I'm eating cereal for dinner, I want to make sure he's eating something a little better and I'll fix him a little plate of whatever. Usually some kind of meat, dairy, a carb and a fruit or veggie. Like I said earlier though, leftovers are your friend.

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote