DIET TIPS, TRICKS AND PRODUCTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkstream

Senior Cook
Diet Tips, Tricks And Products

I am starting this thread in the hope that it will become a resource for all who are on
or need to maintain a diet for whatever reason.

The idea is to list tips, tricks and products that you have found helpful through
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE in maintaining or creating a diet. Do not post things you
have not tried, but merely read of or heard about. The object here is to provide
positive help and support to members of the forum in a practical way, on a day to day
basis.

When I was forced into the position of dieting and major weight loss, I found it very
difficult at first. I had to completely reinvent my entire cuisine. Neccessitiy being the
mother of invention, I devised some useful dodges, acquired, and developed new
techniques and recipes. Overall, they have been successful to a degree I would
scarcely have imagined possible. Some I read about and applied, some I invented for
myself, only to find later that others had invented it before. Some, I believe are
original, or at least less well known.

In order to be effective, it will be necessary to state the kind of diet the tip, product, or
trick applies to. This is because while some tips etc. may have multiple applications,
it may not be useful for someone who is on a low carbohydrate or gluten intolerance
diet to learn how to incorporate increased amounts of complex carbohydrates and
whole wheat products into their diet.

Additionaly, some USEFUL PRODUCTS may be generic in type, ie dry cure no fat
eye round (loin) bacon. So it is best to describe it like that, rather than say “So and
So’s� low fat bacon, when the nearest store to you that actually sells it is 4500 miles
away (as the crow flies), and you could not import it anyhow (well, at least legally),
even if you could order it.

On the other hand, some brand names are almost completely globalised by now, (and
apart from Coca Cola) I mean something like Hellmans mayonaise. So there is no
harm in specifying “Hellmans� 30% low fat mayonaise. BUT bear in mind it MAY
not be the same product in different regional markets. (That will be interesting ;)).

So there you go. Hope you like the idea and are going to contrtibute, or at least read
and inwardly digest.

A sample post , in the kind of format I think it would be helpful for evereyone to
adopt follows.

And I’m not giving away all my tips and secrets in one go! ;)

ti.gif
ee.gif

Last edited:
DIET:

glucose and cholesterol control, and weight loss

TIP:

Almost all baking products can be modified by altering the extraction rate to 50%.
Simply use the same amount of flour as you usually would, but substitute HALF of
the white flour with wholemeal.

It gives a nutty flavour, but in these proportions is acceptable in MOST products. (But
do NOT think of making wholewheat croissants!!!)

TRICK:

When making sauces that require animal fats, and in particularly BUTTER, make
them with either full bodied or tastless olive oil in the smallest amount neccessary for
the sauce. THEN USE MR. SLIVER. A TINY sliver of butter, added to the sauce at
the end will enhance the flavour by a factor of 600%. It will count for virtually
nothing, because you have not made the sauce (as you SHOULD have done) with
butter alone.

PRODUCT:

Hellmans Myonaise 30 % fat. ABSOLUTELY neccesary for your breakfast BLT with
whole wheat bread. DO NOT EVEN THINK about BLT without it.

Have a nice day.

ti.gif
ee.gif

Last edited:
In keeping my blood sugar levels stable to prevent myself from getting hungry I ate the recommended 6 meals a day. I know everyone knows this but few are really doing it. A well-balanced snack including some sort of protein, complex carbs, no sugar, etc.

Like a whole wheat wrap with grilled chicken and a little no fat cream cheese mixed with some low fat ceasar dressing for a spread. Add some lettuce and eat the whole thing.

a couple slices of turkey from the deli (roast), a piece of low fat Swiss, on a rye crisp

6 oz. of 2% cottage cheese with a small individual container of no fat flavored yogurt (I used Bryers).

The snacks need to be well-balanced - it's the key for not getting hungry.

Well, I guess that one went down like a lead balloon.

No help here.

ti.gif
ee.gif

Last edited:
Maybe not - it might just take time before people find something that they feel might be a useful bit of information.

I just had a diet Coke with lime. IMO,,,,,very good. Doesn't have that "diet" taste.

Calories 0

Total fat 0g

Sodium 40mg

Total carbs 0g

Protein 0g

We love the diet coke with lime, Wasabi. DH always has trouble getting diet soda when we eat out. He says it tastes different than diet in a can, but now he orders a diet with a slice of lime, and it does the trick! You wouldn't believe, though, how often it comes out with a slice of lemon instead! :roll:

the ONLY drink I have bought (apart from TONIC WATER) is diet coke.

Disgusting.

If fresh lime juice could wipe out the flavour of ASPARTAME I would be more tha grateful.

Still, it is a real pain to have to squeeze 1/2 lime into your can of cola , JUST to make it drinkable.

BUT it is PROBABLY better than nothing.

ti.gif
ee.gif

Last edited:
Dark....They sell diet coke with lime. You don't have to add lime. Try a can, you might like it.

I thought that the diet w/ lime tasted funny, like what a mixed drink tastes like ( I don't drink much), but it reminds me of that...

wasabi said:
I just had a diet Coke with lime. IMO,,,,,very good. Doesn't have that "diet" taste.
I'm with you Wasabi. I love diet Coke with lime.

my diet tip:

-I try to keep several hard boiled eggs in the fridge during the week, so I have them to add to my salad. Nice way to kick up my usually boring salad. :)

@ Wasabi

Are you saying that there is a variety of diet Coca Cola with added fresh lime juice in the can?

REALLY?

Not a sniff of it in my location.

Does not surprise me though.

About NOT being able to get it.

ti.gif
ee.gif

Last edited:
They usually test-market products like that. Then if the people in a few areas like it, they open it up to the whole market.

:) Barbara

My tips:

For soda, I drink Polland Spring carbonated water, lemon flavored. There is also orange, lime, and non flavored versions. No salt, sugar, fat, etc.

When I buy canned chicken broth ( I dont make my own), I buy salt free. I figure I can add my own amount of salt, but I dont use much salt anyway.

When a recipe calls for white sugar, say if your making a dessert, you can substitute brown sugar and part white sugar. I have not tried sugar substitutes.

When cooking with oil, I always use canolla, and sometimes olive oil.

I avoid red meat, and opt for chicken or fish most of the time. If I buy hamburger, it is always 90-95 % lean.

snacks for the family that I buy are pretzels, sunchips, make my own popcorn with just a dot of canolla to cook it and a bit of butter on top, nuts, trail mix, granola bars.

I love almost every vegetable, but my family doesnt, so I make things like chili with veggies that everyone likes.

I bake most things, or saute with a touch of canolla oil, rather than deep fat frying.

I eat three meals a day, small portions, and eat slowly.

I eat before I go grocery shopping!

I avoid caffeine

Thats about all I can think of for now...hope that helps someone.

Oh yea, use egg whites as often as you can, rather than the yolks if your concerned about cholestoral, as I am. I make egg white omelets with my favorite veggies and add Newmans brand salsa for lots of flavor.

This week I learned something interesting and -- to me, anyway -- very useful. I pass it along for you to make use of, if you like.

As you know, the body uses the food we eat as fuel. But it has preferences in which food type it burns first, so food types are always burned in the same order:

1. Alcohol
2. Carbs
3. Protein
4. Dietary Fat
5. Stored Fat

In other words, stored fat will not be burned off until the first four groups are burned.

This tells me several things. First, no matter what plan you follow, alcohol is bad-bad-BAD. What I especially didn't know is that the body burns protein before it burns fat. So low-carb doesn't mean lotsa protein. :cry:

I don't mean to convey disrespect for anyone's preference as to diet plan; to each his own, and what works for you is good. But knowing this about the burn preferences, I honestly can't see how a low-fat regimen can work as well as a low-carb one. It would seem that if you eat carbs to avoid fat, you're delaying the burning of stored fat until those carbs are burned, yes?

Which kinda means that frankenfoods like Snackwells are also bad.

Anyway, that's the skinny, ha-ha.

Cats

From a posting in another food forum, DS. If I get time in the next coupla days, I'll see if I can find out more about where that poster got the information.

Cats

that's exactly the reason why you get a beer belly. beer is loaded with carbs and alcohol, so it burns the alcohol while turning the carbs into stored fat.

Back
Top Bottom