"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Diet with low oil/fats quantities?

In the last couple of years I started cutting the quantities of fats (basically extra virgin olive oil) that I use when preparing my recipes. Usually I use a single tablespoon of olive oil, or a similar quantity of butter, for each recipe (for two people) and non-stick pans. And I try to avoid recipes with those succulent cheese!

This heroic strategy ends on saturday night and starts again on monday… The sunday lunch is sacred!!!

Is there anyone else following this virtuous route?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

no... but I like your idea of giving yourself a day with no guilt.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
no... but I like your idea of giving yourself a day with no guilt.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Head Chef

I have been dieting all my life, and most of those diets have been low-fat. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and my whole eating style has changed.

I watch carbs now instead of fat--strong portion control of all breads, sugars, starchy vegetables. I don't worry about fat (much). Fat makes me feel satisfied, so I do use butter or olive oil on my veggies and don't necessarily trim all the fat off my meat.

I have lost 50 pounds this year, pretty much painlessly. Lots of veggies, plenty of meat, and an ocasional treat of bread or pasta. I never have had a sweet tooth, so I don't miss sugary stuff, and I am perfectly happy with diet soda.

I am not a nutritionist, just a person who has fought her weight all of her life, and tried every diet known to mankind.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I have been dieting all my life, and most of those diets have been low-fat. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and my whole eating style has changed.

I watch carbs now instead of fat--strong portion control of all breads, sugars, starchy vegetables. I don't worry about fat (much). Fat makes me feel satisfied, so I do use butter or olive oil on my veggies and don't necessarily trim all the fat off my meat.

I have lost 50 pounds this year, pretty much painlessly. Lots of veggies, plenty of meat, and an ocasional treat of bread or pasta. I never have had a sweet tooth, so I don't miss sugary stuff, and I am perfectly happy with diet soda.

I am not a nutritionist, just a person who has fought her weight all of her life, and tried every diet known to mankind.
I changed my eating style (that was simply non existent... I just ate what I liked when I liked) when I was diagnosed with Gout. Then I decided to adopt a weekly based menu, and I'm not a nutritionst, too. I just rotate all the kinds of food that I need. So i started eating friut and vegetable, previously neglected, and fish too. I cut oil and fats to cut calories, basically, and the same goes for bread, pasta and wine (). In this way I lost 33 pounds in a year, and know I'm increasing the calories daily intake

And I did not try any specific diet, because I don't believe so much in any of them...
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Wine Guy

I have also cut quite a bit of fat out of my diet. At the same time, everything I've read indicates that you do need some fat, but it's important to make good choices with regard to the types of fat you consume. Extras virgin olive oil is a good choice. But even butter and cheese can be included in moderation. If you consume small amounts of dairy and meat from grass-fed (vs. grain fed) animals, you are increasing your omega-3 intake. Just don't put a stick of butter in everything you eat. Fish oil is another healthy option.

I've lost 23 pounds in the last 3 months without dieting at all. I still eat until I am full, but the difference is in the types of foods I eat. More veggies, less meat.

And I haven't given up wine. But I have cut back to a glass a day instead of three or four.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I have also cut quite a bit of fat out of my diet. At the same time, everything I've read indicates that you do need some fat, but it's important to make good choices with regard to the types of fat you consume. Extras virgin olive oil is a good choice. But even butter and cheese can be included in moderation. If you consume small amounts of dairy and meat from grass-fed (vs. grain fed) animals, you are increasing your omega-3 intake. Just don't put a stick of butter in everything you eat. Fish oil is another healthy option.

I've lost 23 pounds in the last 3 months without dieting at all. I still eat until I am full, but the difference is in the types of foods I eat. More veggies, less meat.

And I haven't given up wine. But I have cut back to a glass a day instead of three or four.
Thank you for your precious advice, Steve.

And I still drink wine, but only when I go out and on sunday.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Before going any further cutting fats, you should really read this article:

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie? - NYTimes.com

Cutting fats usually makes dieting and weight loss more difficult. As previously mentioned, it's about what fats you eat. EVOO is as good as mono-saturated fats go, but animal fats, like tallow, lard (from a butcher), and even butter, are generally better for cardio-vascular health.

You should be trying to reduce your insulin levels by cutting wheat, other grains, and potatoes if you want to lose weight. Bread and pasta should pretty much be avoided completely.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusKayak View Post
Before going any further cutting fats, you should really read this article:

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie? - NYTimes.com

Cutting fats usually makes dieting and weight loss more difficult. As previously mentioned, it's about what fats you eat. EVOO is as good as mono-saturated fats go, but animal fats, like tallow, lard (from a butcher), and even butter, are generally better for cardio-vascular health.

You should be trying to reduce your insulin levels by cutting wheat, other grains, and potatoes if you want to lose weight. Bread and pasta should pretty much be avoided completely.
Thanks for the link Mobius and for your advice. Now I understand that I need to learn, from a strictly scientific point of view, what on Earth all this food does inside my body when I eat it... It looks like every single scientist and doctor and dietist has a personal agenda: everything is good for someone, averything is bad for someone else!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

One reason most diets have you cut out fats is because fats contain more calories than proteins or carbohydrates. A gram of fat contains 9 calories while a gram of either carbs or proteins contain only four calories. Thus, if you can fill up on fat free alternatives, you cut your caloric intake 56% while still eating the same volume of food.

Tags
diet