"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, Corey. My brother developed chronic heart failure this spring and went through the same thing. They didn't tell him it would take 5 months but actually, that's how long it took for him to be approved. He had to get forms filled out by his doctors and then, later, they asked him to be examined by one of their docs, who agreed with my brother's docs. I don't know if you can hang in there financially but eventually, you will probably be approved.

My brother was just about ready to contact one of the attorneys who specialize in this. I think that's a good idea if you get turned down, but be aware that they get a portion of your check every month for as long as you receive disability. That is their fee. I'm not saying they don't earn it, just that you should be aware that is what the fee is. I think one of the links someone posted is to MA legal aid, which is different than a private attorney and should be free.

It's sad that it is so hard to get benefits when you need them. I mean, this is an insurance program that we have all paid into from our first pay check! Good luck, friend, and keep us posted.

Thank you so much. Sorry to hear about your brother. Is he now receiving benefits, as well he should be?

Yeah, I just found that out myself after waiting almost three months, which they told me that would be the max.

Yeah, they had no problem at all snatching funds from everyone's paycheck every week. Now when it comes time for people to request the money, they give you a hard way to go and a short time to make it!!

Like the commercial says; It's my money, and I need it now!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Yes, he did get approved and has started receiving benefits. He got his first regular check almost 6 months after he first applied. Isn't that shameful that our own government makes people wait for benefits they have already paid for? They told him he would receive the retroactive check 60 days later. Anyway, he was never turned down, even though we were sure he would be since it took so long. But apparently, that's the norm. How long has it been since you applied, Corey?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
Head Chef

I agree the system is definitely broken. It is designed to break one financially (& emotionally). If you can work (even put a hot dog in a bun), then they consider that gainful employment. Still, if you can work - work. Five months is nothing. Try waiting a year - you can lose everything. Apply for SSI! Yes it is retroactive, but by then one is close to destitute & at the end of one's rope. Move in with friends or family. Please follow up on the link I provided. Edit to say get an attorney that specializes in SSDI. If your assets are $2000 (own a home or savings) you will not qualify for SSI. You have health insurance, & that is definitely a good thing!!! Pretty much, unless you are in final stages of renal failure, aids or cancer - don't expect anything. If you are too ill to take care of yourself, try a board and care. They will take your whole disability check, and don't think you want to be there or in section 8 housing - if it even exists. It's a terrible system. Work if you can & follow up w the links I provided. Good luck. BTW, don't expect your attorney to do everything for you. Get your medical records, and make several copies.

It is a terrible thing to work all one's life & be denied over & over again. Write your congressman. If you qualify for SSI (Medi/Medi) you may qualify for IHSS - if you are unable to cook or take care of yourself. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
Master Chef

While waiting for SSDI to get it's act together contact the utilities companies. I don't know if they have it where you live, but here in VA, the electric company has a program for the working poor that helps them with their utility bills. You may be able to set up some type of payment plan different from the normal billing. Any government run agency will have paperwork and approval waits. Maybe check some faith based charities like Salvation Army. They may be able to help now while you are waiting. Since you are apparently computer literate, you may try to find a job as an online order taker for QVC or some such company. One of my son's high school teacher made extra money staying home in the evenings and weekends taking phone orders from companies. He did Best Buy, Office Depot, Pizza Hut etc. and would make good money sitting in his own living room! That may be a way for you make some money with out the physical stress.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I ran into a former coworker this afternoon and I told her about my heart condition and financial status.

She told me that her uncle went through a similar experience, only that his condition was much worst than mine. She says that he had to have TWO by-pass surgerys, can't work at all, was ordered by his doc not to, can't lift anything too heavy or it might bring on an attack and kill him, and after all that, he was denied his disability. Twice!!

Yes all, you wait for what seems like all of your life to get what you soley deserve, and then the lazy gov't makes it so blasted hard for you to do so!

The woman told me that he had to assign his lawyer on the case. Then, and ONLY then, was he able to win the case!

I filed for disability, but they got me down for SSI (supplimental security income. What if I was of leagal age to retire and get straight social security? Would I have to go through this same ordeal? Would there be just as much red tape and bull like there is now?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
...I filed for disability, but they got me down for SSI (supplimental security income. What if I was of leagal age to retire and get straight social security? Would I have to go through this same ordeal? Would there be just as much red tape and bull like there is now?
Not sure about the latter, Corey. The SS office or site (link) may have the answer. SSDI is total disability - no matter what your age. SSI, as you said is Supplemental income. It may depend on how many years you worked & how much you contributed to SSDI to be eligible. SSI may qualify you for programs you may not be eligible for thru ssdi i.e. County funded? Not 100% sure. As I understand it, no matter how much $ you contributed to SSDI (thru work), there is only a certain amount you can collect/be eligible for. There may be an advocate or ombudsman (sp?) you can ask/talk to.

If you are a Veteran, perhaps the VA can help. Just a thought.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
Executive Chef

A friend of mine is on SSI, something that he and his late twin brother received during childhood. It it also less money than disability. But yes, the two ARE DIFFERENT.

Supposedly, you can also get this if you're in extreme hardship and you need some financial help to try to make ends meet, which is the case with me. Then I think maybe they expect you to find or look for work still, but I'm NOT going back to work once I'm on disability or SSI - whichever one I get!

I've worked ever since 1966, and it was a very long 40 + years. I want my money. I earned it the honest way, and I deserve to be dignified. I want what's rightfully mine and that's that!!

Honestly, I think also, that part of the reason they want to deny people so quickly is that they hope applicants will probably croak before being approved, and to them, well, that's just one less person who would have been getting financial help!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #18
Master Chef

Corey

Did you see the link I posted for you? Free legal help. Contact them now.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Thanks. Yes, I DID see it and I'll contact them immediately. Thanx again!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
I think also, that part of the reason they want to deny people so quickly is that they hope applicants will probably croak before being approved, and to them, well, that's just one less person who would have been getting financial help!
This is so sad but that's exactly what I think, too. I think they delay as long as possible because some folks will literally die while waiting.