Disability (SSDI).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Have any of you filed, are on, or are about to receive disability benfits from the Social Security Administration?

I applied for it in October due to the heart condition that I developed and was diagnosed with last year. It's one of the health issues that qualifies a person to receive disability benefits. I tried to continue working, but I just couldn't do it because I'm much too exhausted, wicked tired and breathing heavily. Plus I can only walk so far.

And I was just told that a decision won't be told until about 5 months from the time that I filed for it. The process seems to be a long slow dragged-out one!

As it stands right now, I can't work, am presently only living off a small monthly pension, can't pay the full monthly rent and can barely do anything else!

Does anyone know the exact amount of red tape involved in trying to get approved for monthly disability insurance payments?

Why does the SSA put people through so much crap to get what they earned and saved up throughout their entire working careers?

I understand that your doc has to furnish proof of your condition, as well as the amount of medicine involved to at least control the conditions so that things don't get worst.

I STILL have to at least look for part-time employment, which is no easy task at all. It's awfully frustrating looking for work all day, that being told that I'm not qualified, especially when my resume PROVES that I am. I spent the last two sumers doing this and have gotten nowhere. My most recent job, I lost due to no fault of my own.

I've even applied for public housing, since being disabled also qualifies people for low-income disabled housing. But there's red tape involved in that as well. I am haowever, receiving food stamps and Mass Health now.

But it's just the money issue. I STILL have to pay rent and utilities, which I can't do because of the extremly low income I'm getting. Your suggestions, please?:ermm:

Last edited:
Do you have any friends or family you could bunk with for a while? You could pay your way by cooking meals and doing lite housework.

No.

But I was told by a friend whom I haven't seen in a while, that in order to really qualify for low-income housing, I would have to let the lanlord bring the case to court and bring evidence that I'm unable to pay due to seriously low income.

Supposedly, the court would allow a couple of months for me to find another apartment.
I would then supposedly be able to take this info the the housing authority and they would move me along to get an apt. and meet the deadline faster.

But I think the landlord won't do that, seeing that I'm at least TRYING to pay him. But also, just being disabled is supposed to be enough to qualify me for low-income handicapped housing.

I have to climb up four flights of stairs to get the my present apt., which leaves me very winded, tired and exhausted. Being in a apt. that accomodates the disabled has one or more elevators to help me avoid using the stairs, especially if I'm placed on a much higher floor apt..

Being disabled, elderly and having young children living with you who are not able to work yet, is top priority. Low income, in their eyes, is not so important until or unless you are about to lose your place of residense.

To be declared leagally disabled, so I'm told, all it takes is verification from my doc. So it seems like being disabled would get me in faster than the other three.

Last edited:
Corey, I'm so sorry you are ill & struggling with this process. Go to the yellow pages & get an attorney now. In all likelihood (not in every case), you will be turned down 2 or 3 times. The final time you may have to go before a judge. Get ALL your Medicaal records together. The process can go on for a very long time. Re low housing - see if you qualify for SSI - Medical - fill out the forms. Here's a link I hope will be helpful:

Social Security Disability Coalition

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, that ridiculously long 5-month waiting period is so stupid. All because they make you go through mud and high water to be allowed YOUR money that was deducted from YOUR paycheck every week, that you've scrimped, saved and are forced to pay into during all those years of having jobs!!

But if I'm even denied just once, and haven't found work yet, I STILL eventually will get a low-income apt. anyway. Whichever comes first.

And yes, I've heard that people were turned down at least a few times before being approved. Several people I know went through that. But they were eventually approved. And denials CAN be appealed. Also, from the time that you sign up, your money is retroactive, meaning that you'll get it all in a lump sum- a big fat juicy check, once approved to receive the benefit. I'm estimated to receive, roughly about $1,203 a month, so multiply at x 5, and that would be so sweet!!

I AM already covered with the state health program, and I AM getting food stamps and that DOES ease the burden a little bit, but as far as actual money goes, it awfully blasted hard to come by, since I can't even find a part-time job, much less anything else.

And if I was in low-income housing for the disabled, it would DEFINITLY ease the problem even more, as you can't be charged more than about 30% of your income for a low-income disability apt.. I hope to be in one, at least by late winter or early spring.

But at this time, I cannot afford to pay market rent. The pension, once it has been approved, which it was, is permanent, but it's just not enough to even get by, much less make do!

Which is why a low-income disability apt. would do nicely, at least until disability kicks in.

Oh, and BTW, I tried getting financial assistance for the state and was turned down! They claim that the small pension I'm getting is too much!
Since when is $540 a month too much when you have to pay $700.00 a month for rent plus utilities?! They DID however, suggest getting a low-income apt. though. That is where the disability comes in.

Last edited:
I hate the system. There are all kind of people who take advantage of the situation, cheat and steal(sp?) from the government, but when person gets really sick forget about, that person gets nothing. I hate them.

There is a special program to help with utility. You need to go to welfare office and start asking a lot of questions. And they do not want to volunteer any information. Be prepare that you will have squize the info from them.

I know my ex-husbands case too a very long time. From my own personal experience working with disability claims at the doctors office it seems they always deny the first attempt even with the severest of cases. I do know my ex did receive a huge check for all the back payments that he should of been receiving but again that was a long time coming. And I should mention he did have a lawyer also.
Good luck and I'll pray for you.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, Corey. My brother developed chronic heart failure this spring and went through the same thing. They didn't tell him it would take 5 months but actually, that's how long it took for him to be approved. He had to get forms filled out by his doctors and then, later, they asked him to be examined by one of their docs, who agreed with my brother's docs. I don't know if you can hang in there financially but eventually, you will probably be approved.

My brother was just about ready to contact one of the attorneys who specialize in this. I think that's a good idea if you get turned down, but be aware that they get a portion of your check every month for as long as you receive disability. That is their fee. I'm not saying they don't earn it, just that you should be aware that is what the fee is. I think one of the links someone posted is to MA legal aid, which is different than a private attorney and should be free.

It's sad that it is so hard to get benefits when you need them. I mean, this is an insurance program that we have all paid into from our first pay check! Good luck, friend, and keep us posted.

I hate the system. There are all kind of people who take advantage of the situation, cheat and steal(sp?) from the government, but when person gets really sick forget about, that person gets nothing. I hate them.

There is a special program to help with utility. You need to go to welfare office and start asking a lot of questions. And they do not want to volunteer any information. Be prepare that you will have squize the info from them.

Yes CharlieD, I couldn't agree with you more!!

The system definitely IS broken and it needs to be changed badly. And yes, it's those theives and con/rip-off artists that have ruined things for EVERYONE who signs up for any kind of finanancial help!!

Some people, I won't mention race, live in one apt with two or three families together an every adult probably gets a welfare check, so they are living like Kings and Queens!

Then there are or were those who used to sell their food stamps to get money for drugs and booze. Still others find any means to try to cheat the system, while those like you & I have slaved and worked most of our adult lives, and when we are not able to work and try to get financial assistance
from one of these well-known sources, they want to play games and then deny us our dignity to live our golden years respectfully!!

These stemmers need to be weened out and bre forced to go though a CORI check when they try to file for any type of assistance!

Thank you all for helping, and please, keep it coming!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, Corey. My brother developed chronic heart failure this spring and went through the same thing. They didn't tell him it would take 5 months but actually, that's how long it took for him to be approved. He had to get forms filled out by his doctors and then, later, they asked him to be examined by one of their docs, who agreed with my brother's docs. I don't know if you can hang in there financially but eventually, you will probably be approved.

My brother was just about ready to contact one of the attorneys who specialize in this. I think that's a good idea if you get turned down, but be aware that they get a portion of your check every month for as long as you receive disability. That is their fee. I'm not saying they don't earn it, just that you should be aware that is what the fee is. I think one of the links someone posted is to MA legal aid, which is different than a private attorney and should be free.

It's sad that it is so hard to get benefits when you need them. I mean, this is an insurance program that we have all paid into from our first pay check! Good luck, friend, and keep us posted.

Thank you so much. Sorry to hear about your brother. Is he now receiving benefits, as well he should be?

Yeah, I just found that out myself after waiting almost three months, which they told me that would be the max.

Yeah, they had no problem at all snatching funds from everyone's paycheck every week. Now when it comes time for people to request the money, they give you a hard way to go and a short time to make it!!

Like the commercial says; It's my money, and I need it now!

Yes, he did get approved and has started receiving benefits. He got his first regular check almost 6 months after he first applied. Isn't that shameful that our own government makes people wait for benefits they have already paid for? They told him he would receive the retroactive check 60 days later. Anyway, he was never turned down, even though we were sure he would be since it took so long. But apparently, that's the norm. How long has it been since you applied, Corey?

I agree the system is definitely broken. It is designed to break one financially (& emotionally). If you can work (even put a hot dog in a bun), then they consider that gainful employment. Still, if you can work - work. Five months is nothing. Try waiting a year - you can lose everything. Apply for SSI! Yes it is retroactive, but by then one is close to destitute & at the end of one's rope. Move in with friends or family. Please follow up on the link I provided. Edit to say get an attorney that specializes in SSDI. If your assets are $2000 (own a home or savings) you will not qualify for SSI. You have health insurance, & that is definitely a good thing!!! Pretty much, unless you are in final stages of renal failure, aids or cancer - don't expect anything. If you are too ill to take care of yourself, try a board and care. They will take your whole disability check, and don't think you want to be there or in section 8 housing - if it even exists. It's a terrible system. Work if you can & follow up w the links I provided. Good luck. BTW, don't expect your attorney to do everything for you. Get your medical records, and make several copies.

It is a terrible thing to work all one's life & be denied over & over again. Write your congressman. If you qualify for SSI (Medi/Medi) you may qualify for IHSS - if you are unable to cook or take care of yourself. Good luck.

While waiting for SSDI to get it's act together contact the utilities companies. I don't know if they have it where you live, but here in VA, the electric company has a program for the working poor that helps them with their utility bills. You may be able to set up some type of payment plan different from the normal billing. Any government run agency will have paperwork and approval waits. Maybe check some faith based charities like Salvation Army. They may be able to help now while you are waiting. Since you are apparently computer literate, you may try to find a job as an online order taker for QVC or some such company. One of my son's high school teacher made extra money staying home in the evenings and weekends taking phone orders from companies. He did Best Buy, Office Depot, Pizza Hut etc. and would make good money sitting in his own living room! That may be a way for you make some money with out the physical stress.

I ran into a former coworker this afternoon and I told her about my heart condition and financial status.

She told me that her uncle went through a similar experience, only that his condition was much worst than mine. She says that he had to have TWO by-pass surgerys, can't work at all, was ordered by his doc not to, can't lift anything too heavy or it might bring on an attack and kill him, and after all that, he was denied his disability. Twice!!

Yes all, you wait for what seems like all of your life to get what you soley deserve, and then the lazy gov't makes it so blasted hard for you to do so!

The woman told me that he had to assign his lawyer on the case. Then, and ONLY then, was he able to win the case!

I filed for disability, but they got me down for SSI (supplimental security income. What if I was of leagal age to retire and get straight social security? Would I have to go through this same ordeal? Would there be just as much red tape and bull like there is now?

Last edited:
...I filed for disability, but they got me down for SSI (supplimental security income. What if I was of leagal age to retire and get straight social security? Would I have to go through this same ordeal? Would there be just as much red tape and bull like there is now?

Not sure about the latter, Corey. The SS office or site (link) may have the answer. SSDI is total disability - no matter what your age. SSI, as you said is Supplemental income. It may depend on how many years you worked & how much you contributed to SSDI to be eligible. SSI may qualify you for programs you may not be eligible for thru ssdi i.e. County funded? Not 100% sure. As I understand it, no matter how much $ you contributed to SSDI (thru work), there is only a certain amount you can collect/be eligible for. There may be an advocate or ombudsman (sp?) you can ask/talk to.

If you are a Veteran, perhaps the VA can help. Just a thought.

Last edited:
A friend of mine is on SSI, something that he and his late twin brother received during childhood. It it also less money than disability. But yes, the two ARE DIFFERENT.

Supposedly, you can also get this if you're in extreme hardship and you need some financial help to try to make ends meet, which is the case with me. Then I think maybe they expect you to find or look for work still, but I'm NOT going back to work once I'm on disability or SSI - whichever one I get!

I've worked ever since 1966, and it was a very long 40 + years. I want my money. I earned it the honest way, and I deserve to be dignified. I want what's rightfully mine and that's that!!

Honestly, I think also, that part of the reason they want to deny people so quickly is that they hope applicants will probably croak before being approved, and to them, well, that's just one less person who would have been getting financial help!

Last edited:
I think also, that part of the reason they want to deny people so quickly is that they hope applicants will probably croak before being approved, and to them, well, that's just one less person who would have been getting financial help!
This is so sad but that's exactly what I think, too. I think they delay as long as possible because some folks will literally die while waiting.

Back
Top Bottom