"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Flour Child

Do U Eat 1 in Each Color Category Daily?

It's All About Color...each color has different vitamins and nutritional value we need each day.
WE SHOULD EAT AT LEAST ONE FROM EACH COLOR CATEGORY DAILY!...do you?

Do you have a recipe or complete meal that utilizes at least one from each category?

RED:
red apples, cherries, cranberries, raspberries, red grapes, strawberries, red pears, watermelon, beets, red peppers, radishes, red onions, red potatoes, rhubarb and tomatoes, red wine

BLUE/PURPLE:
blackberries, blueberries, purple grapes, raisins, plums, dried plums and eggplant

WHITE:
bananas, brown pears, cauliflower, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, onions, parsnips, potatoes and turnips, white quinoa, great-northern white beans

YELLOW/ORANGE:
yellow apples, apricots, cantaloupe, grapefruit, lemons, nectarines, oranges, peaches, pineapples, tangerines, butternut squash, carrots, yellow peppers, pumpkin, summer squash, sweet corn and sweet potatoes

GREEN:
avocados, green apples, green grapes, kiwifruit, honeydew melon, limes, green pears, peas, asparagus, broccoli, celery, cabbage, green beans, brussels sprouts, green pepper, cucumbers, leaf lettuce, spinach and zucchini

BROWN:
almonds, walnuts, legumes, reddish-brown quinoa, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed, whole grain, dark chocolate (small portion)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
I try to fix "colorful" meals whenever possible. I'm a total nut for fresh fruits and veggies so that part is easy. I hate looking down at a monochromatic dinner plate. It may be a psychological thing, but I always feel like I'm "missing" something when everything on my plate is in the same color group.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Everymom

I do not eat in each colour category each day. I base my meals and my food choices on the Canada Food Guide.

Dinner is the only meal where I really work on this though, the other meals are a bit haphazard. Dinner always has a Meat, Dairy, Starch and two veggie choices. They rotate around but thats our gold standard for supper. I do however try to make sure our plates are not monochromatic. Thats more for aesthetic purposes than anything else though.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Cook

No we don't eat by color, thats just another gimmick, imho. We like fruits and veggies, and all meats. Moderation is the key. Eat what ya want, cut down on sweets.

Moderation, not color, imho. But very interesting thread. I do take color into play just for "eye candy". Looks are so very important in everything we do.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Flour Child

Your right about color for "eye candy", Big Al...i wonder if those who are color blind have smaller appetites since their meals are missing that "eye candy" element. Lot's of men are color blind.That would lend to criteria for explaining why they have less of a weight problem than women perhaps?

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior Cook

No, Mollyanne, cause we are LAZY! We will go hungry just so we don't have to get off the couch!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Your right about color for "eye candy", Big Al...i wonder if those who are color blind have smaller appetites since their meals are missing that "eye candy" element. Lot's of men are color blind.That would lend to criteria for explaining why they have less of a weight problem than women perhaps?
You've got to look at genetics and geriatrics and hormones (or lack thereof) in this equation too. Women of a certain age tend to have more weight than before. Men on the other hand tend to get a little leaner as they age.

I doubt its got anything to do with colors and color blindness. Neat thought though.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Flour Child

...it would make a good High School Science project..."Does the Vivid Color of Food Trigger Our Appetites?" and then compare color blind people with non-color blind. The sense of taste is still there but the psychological effect of visual color appeal would be a factor still...I would imagine.
...i have dibs on the next diet craze book..."The Blindfolded Diet"

Old 04-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Everymom

They actually have done studies on colors affecting appetite. Red is known to increase appetite and blue to decrease it. I'll see if I can find the link for you.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Eating by color is a viable tool to good nutrition. It also helps one follow the "eat food, mostly plants, not too much" rule of thumb that makes a whole lot of sense in today's over processed food world.