"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
Master Chef

During the summer I don't sit down for a traditional lunch. What I do is pack foods in my lunch box that I can grab and eat throughout the day. I actually find that my body functions better eating this way. A big lunch at noon just makes me want to take a nap. Meals should never be totally skipped. Don't forget that your body needs fuel to work properly. Always eat something even if it is a piece of fruit or a carton of yogurt. Also, don't forget to drink plenty of fluids, preferably water.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:36 AM   #12
Head Chef

I find skipping meals altogether is a bad idea, at least for me. I tend to get so hungry then that I'm not careful about what I eat. Going 12-14 waking hours without eating often leads to eating something I shouldn't simply because I'm too hungry to care.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:42 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I never really had a habit of eating proper "lunch", or any midday meal. I like my breakfast and late dinner, but during the day, I just nibble on something like yogurt, fruit, crackers and cheese, ice cream etc. as I feel like them, I don't really cook or sit down properly (I mean not in front of the PC) to eat. I just don't get in a mood for "meals" during the day.
When I was working full time too, I only had a little something to snack on, I prefered to wait until I get off work, then relax and enjoy my food at home. It's been working fine for me for years this way, but then again maybe my biological system doesn't belong to the majority, just like my sleeping habits...
Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 AM   #14
Sous Chef

The only days I skip my meals is wednesday and at lunch time unintentionally. This is because I am very busy and forget to get myself something to eat. I pick up the kids and prepare lunch for them, when they are eating, I get their after school activities' outfits ready, and before I know it, it's time to get running again for drop off, or if I am lucky, they will have left something for me which would be cold. Last wednesday, I put the leftovers in the microwave to heat up and forgot it until the evening when I was cleaning the microwave after dinner.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:55 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I know that when I skip meals I feel faint and tired and moody. I also tend to chew on my fingers, fingernails or lips a lot. And you're right about getting too hungry and starting to snack on just about anything... like pickles, or preserves out of the jar. I think I'm always battling some kind of eating disorder. When I work I have a hard time eating at all. I sit in front of my lunch and stare at it until my break is over. Come to think of it, I did that all my childhood at dinner time
Old 03-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by biev
I know that when I skip meals I feel faint and tired and moody. I also tend to chew on my fingers, fingernails or lips a lot. And you're right about getting too hungry and starting to snack on just about anything... like pickles, or preserves out of the jar. I think I'm always battling some kind of eating disorder. When I work I have a hard time eating at all. I sit in front of my lunch and stare at it until my break is over. Come to think of it, I did that all my childhood at dinner time
If you feel that you have a disorder, talk to a doctor and a dietician so that they can help you understand your fears about eating and help you with a diet that you can handle without the anxiety. Don't want to see you get sick. Take care!!
Old 03-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm not a big fan of breakfast. But every now and then I get a hankering for it. Its not that I intentionally skip it I just don't think about it. As far as the rest of the meals there are times when I am so busy that it curbs my hunger and I don't realize I haven't eaten. I tend to only eat when I'm hungry so if the hunger pains are curbed by my working around the house then I don't think about it. But get me in front of the t.v. and a cooking show is on my hunger pains go into overdrive.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:29 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
If you feel that you have a disorder, talk to a doctor and a dietician so that they can help you understand your fears about eating and help you with a diet that you can handle without the anxiety. Don't want to see you get sick. Take care!!
I don't feel like spending that kind of money to have someone tell me not to skip meals... It's not so bad right now, I work at home for the moment so I have time to cook. I think I've got this thing under control for now.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:02 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by biev
I don't feel like spending that kind of money to have someone tell me not to skip meals... It's not so bad right now, I work at home for the moment so I have time to cook. I think I've got this thing under control for now.
But biev, if there is a suspicion of eating disorder, what you CAN'T afford is risking of ruinning your health. Your problem may extend far beyond the matter of simply skipping a meal or not, but it is the way of life and how you treat it. If you don't feel comfortable going to the doctor, try to do some research and read about this problem and solutions and educate yourself first. Talk to your hubby and get his support. The positive thing is that you recognise the problem now, it is time to look at it straight on, and seek for a way to get out of this. I am sure you can do this... and don't be afraid to talk about it, the support is one thing you will never lack here... best wishes, and think about what yummy treat you will have for the dinner!!
Old 03-31-2006, 06:45 AM   #20
Master Chef

I've been where you are, and it is so bad for you. Eating every four hours is fine. We've become a nation of eating disorders and diabetics because we tend to not eat for too long, then eat too much, or eat garbage. I didn't have periods for over a year; believe me, I understand eating disorders, and you're headed that way. Your husband is the one with problems, not you. Eat good food every four hours.

Don't get me wrong; I do occasionally skip a meal because I'm simply not hungry, so don't think about it (most often, breakfast).

But you are trying to mold your body's natural needs to someone whose body's needs are definitely different from yours (supper at 3 a.m.?). Sometimes to make a marriage work you need to agree to disagree. Please eat when you need to eat. You can always sit with husband at 3 a.m. and keep him company with a few bites. Trust me, 3 a.m. is not a normal time to eat dinner, and if your body wants food at noon, 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., then feed yourself good food at those times.