Do you or would you feed your kids canned peas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you feed your kids canned peas?

• Heck yes I would. They're feeding em to the dog right now!

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No way. It's child abuse!

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Maybe, if there wasn't anything else in the house.

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
canning intensifies the sweetness of peas to an extent I no longer like. (BTW, I never minded them as a kid, and peas and string beans were my fave veg at the time) I find the frozen baby peas acceptable.

When I was a kid.. I had a crazy cat. She loved to take baths and played fetch better than any dog I ever had. Her favorite dinner was canned peas. lol

I grew up on canned peas - so I guess they are a "comfort food" in a way. While I normally use forzen peas most of the time - when I want Grandma's pea salad or Mom's creamed peas - it has to be canned peas. Nothing else taste right.

greenish..

If I could find a canned brand that preserved the fabulous kelly green color of fresh peas, then I'd consider it.

But since I haven't had such luck...and because I won't shuck a pea pod...I go with frozen. Cheap, easy, and they still have a bit of bite.:punk:

Michael, did you post your grandmother's pea salad? That was my first post when I came here - Pea Salad. Thanks a bunch.

Since I don't like peas at all & hubby & the kids only like canned peas, I use them most of the time. I do use frozen or freash peas for stews & stir frys though.

I eat canned peas all the time! The only other one that will eat peas here, is my youngest. We fight over who gets the last of it. I had to start warming 2 cans once he got bigger and eats like a horse :eek:)

I don't like canned peas, they taste too sweet to me.

I do use frozen peas occasionally, but only the petit pois type and cook them for half the recommended cooking time. Then they taste almost 'real'. :cool:

I don't like peas unless they're freshly shelled from the garden and uncooked. Strange, I know. :sleep: To this day I scoot the peas out of a dish onto the side of my plate. And it's still a great point of teasing from my family! My mom is always inviting me over for pea salad. :sick: My son gave me grief about having to join the army in order to be served peas. LOL

I can't think of any other vegetable I won't eat.

:heart:
Z

Constance said:
Actually, nutrition experts say there is no difference in the nutritional quality of canned, frozen and fresh vegetables.

i read an article about a study done about this. and what i wondered was... how well cooked were the fresh veggies that they compaired to canned? when you cook vegetables, some of the nutrients are lost, right? when i cook veggies i leave them crisp, usually just a quick steam, to try to preserve the good stuff in them. when something is canned it is cooked during the canning process, probably quite a bit more cooked than if you had picked fresh veggies and given them a quick steam. so canning vs fresh aside, one would think that lightly cooked (fresh steamed) veggies would have more nutritional value than more heavily cooked (cooked in the canning process) veggies.

Fresh foods vs. frozen or canned. Many people wonder if frozen and canned vegetables are as nutritious as fresh vegetables. The answer to this question depends on both the time between the harvesting of the vegetable and the canning and freezing process. Generally, vegetables are canned or frozen immediately upon harvest when their nutrient content is at its peak.

The way vegetables are prepared at home can also affect the nutrient content. Vegetables of any type (fresh, frozen, or canned) that are boiled in large amounts of water for long periods of time lose much of their nutritional content compared to vegetables that are lightly steamed.

To be more specific, therefore, vegetables that are fresh from the farm or just picked are more nutritious than their frozen or canned counterparts. However, frozen and canned vegetables are an acceptable nutritional alternative. Just be careful of the amount of salt added to canned vegetables; try to buy those without added salt. And, don't overcook any vegetables.

This was taken from the following site:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002095.htm

I don't have any negative memories of canned peas. Asian families don't eat it much, at least canned peas alone. I guess I wouldn't mind feeding it to my kids.

I prefer frozen most of the time (baby peas), but I also love canned peas. Especially for creamed peas. As for other vegetables, I prefer frozen for most, but for some reason I prefer canned spinach to frozen. It's funny, my family had switched to frozen, which was good, but one day my mom admitted that she liked canned better. I said that I did too, so after that we usually had canned. Canned vegetables have more salt in them (and the "no salt" versions are disgusting), so frozen are better for you anyway. They are usually frozen right after being picked, so they are closest to fresh.

:) Barbara

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
My kids hate peas. Canned, frozen, and fesh. As a child, canned peas were the only kind we ate. To this day, when I plan on having a pork roast and roast potatoes, I buy a can of Del Monte canned peas to go with it.

I love canned peas! Childhood favorite.

I generally eat fresh or frozen and would probably NOT feed kids canned veggies of any type. Double standard, I know, but I probably wouldn't give kids baloney and a lot of other stuff we ate as little ones.

Great replies people! I see a recurring trend here. I think that the people who grew up eating them grew fond of canned peas. My parents must have given up on me long before that point! :LOL: I think it is very interesting, what we eat. How many foods do we eat today based on yesterday's necessity? So many traditional foods we love would never even be considered given today's wide range of easily attainable substitutes. Another thing that is very apparent is that you all are very creative with otherwise banal fare. Good work! :chef:

Drew

A youth's opinion.

Canned peas are disgusting (I am a kid so I know).:mad: Frozen are cheaper than fresh and quicker to prepare (In a family of twelve if it saves time it becomes an adopted principle). :ROFLMAO:

Cameron:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom