"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
View Poll Results: Would you feed your kids canned peas?
Heck yes I would. They're feeding em to the dog right now! 16 43.24%
No way. It's child abuse! 14 37.84%
Maybe, if there wasn't anything else in the house. 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2005, 09:48 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
Frozen vegetables are soooooooooooooo much healthier than canned.
Actually, nutrition experts say there is no difference in the nutritional quality of canned, frozen and fresh vegetables.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Actually, nutrition experts say there is no difference in the nutritional quality of canned, frozen and fresh vegetables.
i read an article about a study done about this. and what i wondered was... how well cooked were the fresh veggies that they compaired to canned? when you cook vegetables, some of the nutrients are lost, right? when i cook veggies i leave them crisp, usually just a quick steam, to try to preserve the good stuff in them. when something is canned it is cooked during the canning process, probably quite a bit more cooked than if you had picked fresh veggies and given them a quick steam. so canning vs fresh aside, one would think that lightly cooked (fresh steamed) veggies would have more nutritional value than more heavily cooked (cooked in the canning process) veggies.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Fresh foods vs. frozen or canned. Many people wonder if frozen and canned vegetables are as nutritious as fresh vegetables. The answer to this question depends on both the time between the harvesting of the vegetable and the canning and freezing process. Generally, vegetables are canned or frozen immediately upon harvest when their nutrient content is at its peak.

The way vegetables are prepared at home can also affect the nutrient content. Vegetables of any type (fresh, frozen, or canned) that are boiled in large amounts of water for long periods of time lose much of their nutritional content compared to vegetables that are lightly steamed.

To be more specific, therefore, vegetables that are fresh from the farm or just picked are more nutritious than their frozen or canned counterparts. However, frozen and canned vegetables are an acceptable nutritional alternative. Just be careful of the amount of salt added to canned vegetables; try to buy those without added salt. And, don't overcook any vegetables.
This was taken from the following site:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002095.htm
Old 10-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #34
Head Chef

I don't have any negative memories of canned peas. Asian families don't eat it much, at least canned peas alone. I guess I wouldn't mind feeding it to my kids.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:20 PM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I prefer frozen most of the time (baby peas), but I also love canned peas. Especially for creamed peas. As for other vegetables, I prefer frozen for most, but for some reason I prefer canned spinach to frozen. It's funny, my family had switched to frozen, which was good, but one day my mom admitted that she liked canned better. I said that I did too, so after that we usually had canned. Canned vegetables have more salt in them (and the "no salt" versions are disgusting), so frozen are better for you anyway. They are usually frozen right after being picked, so they are closest to fresh.

Barbara
Old 10-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
My kids hate peas. Canned, frozen, and fesh. As a child, canned peas were the only kind we ate. To this day, when I plan on having a pork roast and roast potatoes, I buy a can of Del Monte canned peas to go with it.

I love canned peas! Childhood favorite.

I generally eat fresh or frozen and would probably NOT feed kids canned veggies of any type. Double standard, I know, but I probably wouldn't give kids baloney and a lot of other stuff we ate as little ones.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:33 PM   #37
Cook

Great replies people! I see a recurring trend here. I think that the people who grew up eating them grew fond of canned peas. My parents must have given up on me long before that point! I think it is very interesting, what we eat. How many foods do we eat today based on yesterday's necessity? So many traditional foods we love would never even be considered given today's wide range of easily attainable substitutes. Another thing that is very apparent is that you all are very creative with otherwise banal fare. Good work!

Drew
Old 11-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #38
cartwheelmac

A youth's opinion.

Canned peas are disgusting (I am a kid so I know). Frozen are cheaper than fresh and quicker to prepare (In a family of twelve if it saves time it becomes an adopted principle).

Cameron
Old 12-21-2005, 07:58 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Three little words: No, No, and No. Did I make myself clear?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 AM   #40
Sous Chef

I'm guilty! They are easier!