"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Not really...anymore. Over the last several years I have avoided the uncomfortable, stuffed feeling I would get after overeating. The closest I ever come anymore to overeating is at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. However, I don't really overeat then either. I have learned to take smaller portions of all the yummies. Even as tempting as it is when we go to our favorite all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, I don't overeat there anymore either. Guess it proves that you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Not really...anymore. Over the last several years I have avoided the uncomfortable, stuffed feeling I would get after overeating. The closest I ever come anymore to overeating is at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. However, I don't really overeat then either. I have learned to take smaller portions of all the yummies. Even as tempting as it is when we go to our favorite all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, I don't overeat there anymore either. Guess it proves that you can teach an old dog new tricks.
How small is small? I take small portions but I do like to try a little bit of everything. That's where I get into trouble! I heard (was it here ) that the first three bites are what tastes the best. I find that true. I Use that as a guide for avergae meals, but when there is a big variety even one of everything is too much. Now, I'm admittedly not the most decisive person, so this makes buffets, dimsum and choosing what to leave on the Christmas saide dishes very very hard, almost odd apearing.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I did it today! We went to a wedding that was 2 hrs away.
The morning got away from us and it was a race to get there on time. Finally all the pics were over and we got to the reception at 3pm and I was starving.

They asked me to get the buffet started....and I did! I overfilled my plate to the point that Mr HB was making fun of me but I finished it. We aren't big eaters but I did my share of damage today.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

I overeat. I think my problem is that I love food. I love the taste of all sorts of food. I don't continue eating because I don't feel full. I just love to taste the flavors. If you could just spray the flavor into my mouth I would not need to overeat.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #25
Master Chef

I've quit eating until I am stuffed. I feel terrible for hours after that, and I've read that that's when a lot of people have heart attacks. In fact, my uncle had a heart attack last year after having a Philly cheese steak sandwich for supper. (He's OK now.)
I'm also not a snacker, unless I'm actually hungry, and I seldom drink sodas.

On the other hand, I'm a big, strong, German farm girl (5'8"), and have a hearty appetite when I'm feeling well. Six days a week, all I have for breakfast is a small carton of yogurt. But on Sunday, when DH makes brunch, I eat 2-3 fried eggs on one piece of toast, 3 pieces of bacon, and another piece of toast with jelly, plus a pint of skim milk.
Of course, I've gotta have my beer. I have switched to Miller Lite, because it's the lowest in carbs. Good beer, too.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #26
Cook

I stopped stuffing myself about 4 months ago and i'v lost 56 lbs and I feel alot better not always being the one that killed the buffet
Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #27
Head Chef

I overeat when, because of a lack of time, industry, or opportunity, I've gone too long between meals and then eat way too much of one thing. If I prepare a well balanced meal with whole grains, beans, fruit, veggies, and a little meat and dairy, there are plenty of leftovers and I feel great.

It's when I come home starved and quickly throw together a half pound of pasta with an easy cheese sauce that I really get into trouble.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #28
Sous Chef

I was watching a show and they said that it takes you about 20 minutes to feel full. so if you eat rather slowly and really taste the food, you won't be tempeted to get up and go for seconds.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
I was watching a show and they said that it takes you about 20 minutes to feel full. so if you eat rather slowly and really taste the food, you won't be tempeted to get up and go for seconds.
Yep, this is me, I eat slowly and definately get full within twenty to thirty minutes. I eat small portions, several times a day and it works for me. If I over eat my stomach gets bloated, I feel heavy, and lack the motivation to move about and exercise. So, in answer to your question Redkitty, no I do not over eat.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #30
DC Grandma

When I eat I never feel full..wonder if that is id a diabetic problem../

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote