"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
When I eat I never feel full..wonder if that is id a diabetic problem../

Not sure if it's a diabetic problem marge. I wonder what it means when I get full on small amounts of food? Someone help me and Marge!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:07 AM   #32
Cook

I eat 'ideally', six days a week; counting every calorie, and every gram of protein (something which becomes automatic pretty quickly), drinking only water. Whole foods mostly; and throughout the day, so there is no lack eating. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, cottage cheese..... One day a week is mine - all mine. Soda, licorce jelly beans, cashews, sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil.....anything and everything:)) This is combined with a modest excercise program of walking, stretching, and swimming - three sessions of each a week. So far, no problem keeping off the 47 pounds that I lost. The only downside was that I ate 'ideally' seven days a week during the weight loss period, which was ok, I ate just fine, even with the calorie limit, but I did look forward to when the splurge day could be added. It was only a few months.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:00 AM   #33
Senior Cook

I tend to overeat more times than I care to admit, which has landed me seriously overweight now. I'm now watching what I eat (in the terms of now doing portion controls - or trying to ), and am now eating until I'm pleasantly/comfortably full instead of the stuffed/miserable feeling I get when I realized I've over-eaten yet once again. What I don't eat, if I'm at a restaurant, I take home in a take-home box and have again for breakfast the next day (or take to work for dinner that night if I have to work that night). I'm now finding that my jeans are riding looser and I'm starting to exercise (me- the original "I'm allergic to exercise" girl) by walking at a walk park, and I'm starting to use stairs when I can.

But, yeah, getting stuffed is not a pleasant sensation at all.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber

Not sure if it's a diabetic problem marge. I wonder what it means when I get full on small amounts of food? Someone help me and Marge!
Not sure about you Amber, but I get full on small amounts too. Marge that empty, crawl in the refrigerator and eat everything feeling has happened to me..It comes when my blood glucose drops below normal range of 70...I will also get shakey, sweaty, irritable and forgetfull numb lips...At the first sign of being cranky and wanting to eat..I test myself..You can't let your glucose get down much lower Marge or you can be in trouble...I'd ask my doc, but also some diabetes meds will cause a drop in glucose if you DO NOT eat when you take them..That is dangerous..If you plan not to eat, don't take them.

kadesma
Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #35
Master Chef

Not as much as I used to. That M-word has killed my sense of smell, so I'm simply not tempted as much as when I was younger. I still like my booze, though, so still consume too many calories. And the one thing that really still tastes and smells good to me is blue cheeses. But mostly I'm cooking to meet my diabetic husband's needs rather than just cooking what tastes good to me, so we're eating overall less.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #36
Cook

I have an obese husband and come from a family of obese members and have quite a few friends who are morbidly obese, and I look at them and say, No Way, do I want to go through what they must go through on a daily basis.

I hope that I broke the cycle in my family. I am not skinny minny. I stop when I am full, and put food back in the serving dish, or just throw it out if I cannot put it back.

Thee only time I do over eat is on Christmas when my Cuban mother-in-law makes her traditional holiday dishes: Marinated pork, black beans, yucca, plantains and Cuban bread. Yummo!

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #37
Sous Chef

Red face I do

If I have fresh baked bread with garlic and pepper olive oil for dipping, good cheese and a decent red wine. I try not to bake bread often. The smell seems to be what triggers it. I really do hate that over-full feeling.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #38
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have benn eating small amounts throughout the entire day for so long now that my stomach has shrunk, so my eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach. Going to a buffet would be a total waste of money for me. I would never hear "YOU GO NOW! YOU HERE FOUR HOUR!"
Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #39
Master Chef

I for sure over eat, don't know how to stop. By the time I get home I am tired and very hungry, so it's eat and go to bed. Bad combination.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #40
Senior Cook

I am a stess eater. The past two years have been particularly difficult, so I've packed on 30 pounds in that time. I'm a stay-home mom so I have time to eat all day. Fortunately, I finally figured out what my "triggers" are and am now on my way to losing the extra weight and getting back to normal portions again.

Congrats to all you guys who have lost weight and who stop eating when your satisfied!

My DH is in the same boat. I've noticed however, that since I stopped serving dinner "family style", and started putting dinner on the plates and then bringing the plates to the table, that our portions have really been cut in half! No more spooning extra servings of dinner, when I make up our plates, I just put the leftovers in the fridge right away.