Do you overeat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
Wasn't sure where this should go but figured this was as good a place as any! So my question is, do you find yourself over eating? I don't do it often but sometimes I just find myself eating to much and then feeling awful after for hours.

Why do we do this? We know we've eaten enough but yet we keep eating.

Tonight for example, I drank red wine with dinner, which already does my stomach in. Then ate just a little to much and now I'm in misery!

I know this is how many people become seriously overweight, I know its bad, I know enough to not do it very often. But then here I am, sitting on my sofa rubbing my belly!

Blah! :(

Not in a long time - but that doesn't mean I don't go back for more later! When Iam full thats it for me have always been this way.

My cousin always used to say about me:

"I wouldn't say he eats a lot but he's the first to the dinner table and the last to leave and he doesn't talk much!"

I am addicted to eating. If there is food on the table, it is my single-minded mission to eat it all.

In a restaurant, I want an appetizer and dessert along with the entrée. If the soup looks good, I want that too. Sadly, along with old age comes diminished capacity. I can no longer eat as I used to.

If I could manage good portion control, I could control my weight but that doesn't happen often.

I always eat off of a "small" plate. I have done that for years. I think my problem is the snacking between meals.:-p

I made a nice meal for a Friday. Did we over eat? The chicken was done before sides and before dinner time. We had a chicken sandwich and then went on with our work for a couple of hours. Dinner time came and we ate and now we are full. Time for some personal time. Computer, video game or a dvd movie. Before long it will be time to hit the evening chores and we all have a few that cannot wait for tomorrow.....walking the dogs, visiting friends, playing basketball, mowing the lawn, or some shopping.

I will over eat if it is something that I really enjoy... I tend to eat more of that item that is deemed one of my favorites which usually ends up in the misery you mentioned.

Here is one thing that drives me nuts and can't get a handle on.... I am certain this is true about any mexican resturaunt that you go to in the US, but they serve chips and salsa prior to the meal and I always eat way to many of them (specially if the salsa is good and spicy and the chips are warm and crispy), and then when the meal comes, I eat 2 bites and I'm full!!!! UGH!!!

sattie said:
Here is one thing that drives me nuts and can't get a handle on.... I am certain this is true about any Mexican restaurant that you go to in the US, but they serve chips and salsa prior to the meal and I always eat way to many of them (specially if the salsa is good and spicy and the chips are warm and crispy), and then when the meal comes, I eat 2 bites and I'm full!!!! UGH!!!

People with kids actually ask them not to serve the complimentary chips/dip. Don't you wish they would take your order after you eat the chips/dip and just charge you for an appetizer and a drink?

Sattie, I have the same issue with all the bread and butter restaurants serve before a big meal! I hardly ever eat bread anymore, which is one reason I was so full last night.

UncleB, I'm feeling much better this morning and since I stayed up for a bit before bed last night, I wasn't so full.

Robo410 said:
yes I have the same issue as Andy M. I am fighting it and intend to win.

Me too!:ohmy: Problem is my fight is so half hearted I can only blame myself:)

I know I overeat - mostly always. I have a problem which I very rarely feel full - I can eat and eat and eat - I amaze people. Not good as the I am aging and the metabolism is slowing down. Lately I have been trying to cut my portions down.

I cdertainly have a problem non overeating with varety, buffets, dim sum. I always over eat at dim sum joints. I find it really hard to judge when I am full or undeed when I am hungry. I just don't seem well wired for it any more. (I put a lot of it down to past bad eating habits and my nuerological problems, I have bad proprioception too). Thus I can forget to eat for long periods of time until I feel physically sick, and don't want to eat. I try really hard to eat regularly as a result. My appetite is fuelled by desire for taste and texture rather than satiation as a result. So, conversely, at multi course meals I find it hard to remember not too eat everything, because its not til I hurt I'll realise I'm full.

New things are hard: when I first came to Italy I wanted to eat everything in the first week, I now accept if I lived here a Life time I would not taste everything in the world I want too!

I love the small plate technique: I do it too Joanne! I fnd that visually judging is an easy way to help my mind make the decision before my body!

My husband is a binger, he'll eat staggaring amounts at a sitting, but he's neat and trim (now!). I think the nature of office work and long hours encourages this "eat big when you can" attitude. I really like that when he works he can have proper meals sent to his office through the night, rather than big bags of crisps to gorge on.

The other thing DH and I note is that as two people living together we never need buy the family sized packs of anything! It might work out cheaper per gramme, but it encourages overeating and it doesn't really work out cheaper than buying the appropriate amount for us!

Bread before a meal is a killer. I eat smaller meals at home than out anyway (I rarely cook three courses mid week! and often corporate dos have six courses or more!). Bread is doubly tempting because we rarely have it at home. That one tempting bread bowl is more than enough for a meal. I find it hard to discipline, but now only eat the bread if it is worth it for the taste experience.

I will often ask for chips etc to be removed if it is DH and I!

Alternatively I have found a grea way to have the fun without thee pain: we find a cocktail or glass of wine and apperitivo is enough for us midweek, a small late of crostini and a drink is a good light supper!

I do over-eat but only when I cook Kenyan meals that I grew up eating and I miss so much.When I go back to Kenya to see my family, My mum prepares my favorite meals and the first few days I over-eat, then 'settle down' and get on with life.

redkitty said:
Sattie, I have the same issue with all the bread and butter restaurants serve before a big meal! I hardly ever eat bread anymore, which is one reason I was so full last night.

Oh yea!!! I'm a sucker for the bread as well!!! Why do they torture us so???? :LOL:

I'm better off with no before dinner freebies... that way I can concentrate on the meal.

I thought of something else... sushi... I can definately eat my weight in sushi!!!

I don't do it regularly but I allow myself to sometimes. I think my problem is snacking in-between meals. I'm terrible for that.

No, I haven't overeaten in decades because I HATE the feeling of being too full!

It was probably a Thanksgiving dinner, maybe 25 years ago, where I felt terrible and said I'd never do that again. I haven't. It's great to feel great after every meal!

Now, if I could just have more willpower over my beloved Miller Lite! :)

Lee

If I really, really like something, then I tend to over eat but most times instead of overeating at one sitting, I'll go back for more a couple hours later and have more then, kind of like a midnight snack I guess! I'd rather eat more real food later than to eat junkie sweets. Call me crazy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom