Do you throw out your egg yolks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it's true that cooked eggs (apart from hard-cooked) are very digestible & are frequently recommended as a part of diets for invalids & convalescents with certain conditions, but that's not what we're talking about here Daizymae.

Digestibility & cholesterol/saturated fat intake are completely different things.

lots of cakes ask for yolks by the dozen, I'm always throwing out the whites

As a baker, I often have literaly dozens of egg yolks left over after some of my wedding cake recipes.

If I am catering the wedding I will usually make lemon and or custard tarts to go along with it, but I also make many of the things listed above. Thanks for the tips for the dogs - didn't know that one. We give our leftover scrambled eggs to them, but yeah, I could definitely share my yolk wealth.

If you are going to store them in the fridge longer than about four hours (and no more than 48), add just enough water to cover them by about 1/4" and seal tightly.

Last edited:
I don't know what t is called and not sure if Americans would be willing to eat raw eggs, but this is what I do. Take the same amount of egg yolks and sugar, mix it really well, using mixer sure helps, until sugar completely dissolves, then add some cocoa powder, or if you want to be really fancy shave some chocolate into the mixture, as much as you like or to make as dark as you like, I kind of go by looks, never really measured. Mix well, cool in the fridge. You can spread that on a cookie or eat it simply with a glass of cold milk. I love it. Do it probably twice a year, when I have yolks left. Otherwise it is too rich and too unhealthy, mostly because I can eat the whole bowl of it.

Thanks Charlie for the alternative perspective. We have a lady friend from Lithuania who keeps us well supplied with fresh eggs; almost more than the two of us can eat ( and she only has 3 hens- Rhode Island Reds). Chickens are truly a wonderful thing.

While it does sound delicious Charlie - whether the eggs are supermarket-purchased or farm-purchased, I'd still refrain from serving this to the very young, the very old, &/or anyone who's experiencing an immune-deficiency problem.

I don't know what t is called and not sure if Americans would be willing to eat raw eggs, but this is what I do. Take the same amount of egg yolks and sugar, mix it really well, using mixer sure helps, until sugar completely dissolves, then add some cocoa powder, or if you want to be really fancy shave some chocolate into the mixture, as much as you like or to make as dark as you like, I kind of go by looks, never really measured. Mix well, cool in the fridge. You can spread that on a cookie or eat it simply with a glass of cold milk. I love it. Do it probably twice a year, when I have yolks left. Otherwise it is too rich and too unhealthy, mostly because I can eat the whole bowl of it.

In all my born days I have never heard of such a concoction but since I consider eggs to be more healthful when raw than when cooked, I am always on the lookout for raw-egg recipes. They say a raw eggwhite is no good for you (contains a vitamin antagonist) so I am going to try your egg+bit of sugar+cocoa recipe. :)

As far as concaction it self goes just ask any Russian wht the Gogol Mogol is? This is just a "chocolate" version of it. And as far as making it enjoy, just be careful do not forget that it is raw in the end.

Mr_Dove, I had exactly the opposite problem. When I had the restaurant I would make a dessert called "Tiramisú" a type of Italian cheese cake that uses only egg yolks. This dessert may not be the best choice for children because it contains rum, but it can be kept frozen for future formal dinners. If you like, I will send you the recipe.

To make it more appealing for the kids, just add an envelope of (soaked) unflavored gelatin to this recipe:
VANILLA SAUCE

(Pastry cream)
3 egg yolks
3 TBS sugar
3 TBS flour
2 cups milk (hot)
1 tsp vanilla

Beat egg yolks with sugar until creamy, in a small saucepan that can take direct heat. Slowly beat in flour.
Bring the saucepan on to a medium flame. Add milk, and vanilla. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook until thick whisking constantly, for about 10 minutes. Let it cool, stirring occasionally. Keep refrigerated.
Pastry cream is to desserts what béchamel is to food, a binding agent.
Makes 2 cups

If you separate the white and yolk of the egg, you get an isolated protein. Any time you separate the white and the yolk of an egg, you get an isolated protein. Any time you separate protein from fat you're left with an incomplete food. When you swallow an egg white, it goes into your stomach and your stomach says, "Hey, where's the fat?" The white, which is protein, has no vehicle for conversion, so it's converted to sugar.
You cannot digest protein without fat..

Mother Nature is the first chemist in the world;)

You are absolutely correct, Detroit. I feel a wrench when I see people trying to down an "omelet" made out of egg whites as per some kind of Zone Diet. It is not satisfying.

Oops sorry, I misread egg whites.

No, we never throw out egg yolks. Unless the eggs are stale. Egg whites we always make into meringues.

Last edited:
When I am trying to cut the fat, rather than throw the yolks away, I buy egg-beaters or similar .... I have a very hard time throwing away perfectly good food. So if scrambling, making an omelet, etc, I use frozen egg beaters. When I get a taste for a full egg, I buy a half dozen. There are only the two of us, so the frozen are more practical for us as well. I know the whole eggs are cheaper, but not if you're throwing away half of them. If you bake, there are lots of good ideas here, but I don't.

Back
Top Bottom