"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
Master Chef

Yes, it's true that cooked eggs (apart from hard-cooked) are very digestible & are frequently recommended as a part of diets for invalids & convalescents with certain conditions, but that's not what we're talking about here Daizymae.

Digestibility & cholesterol/saturated fat intake are completely different things.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #22
Senior Cook

lots of cakes ask for yolks by the dozen, I'm always throwing out the whites

Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #23
Cook

Lady fingers are good.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #24
Certified Cake Maniac

As a baker, I often have literaly dozens of egg yolks left over after some of my wedding cake recipes.

If I am catering the wedding I will usually make lemon and or custard tarts to go along with it, but I also make many of the things listed above. Thanks for the tips for the dogs - didn't know that one. We give our leftover scrambled eggs to them, but yeah, I could definitely share my yolk wealth.

If you are going to store them in the fridge longer than about four hours (and no more than 48), add just enough water to cover them by about 1/4" and seal tightly.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #25
Master Chef

I don't know what t is called and not sure if Americans would be willing to eat raw eggs, but this is what I do. Take the same amount of egg yolks and sugar, mix it really well, using mixer sure helps, until sugar completely dissolves, then add some cocoa powder, or if you want to be really fancy shave some chocolate into the mixture, as much as you like or to make as dark as you like, I kind of go by looks, never really measured. Mix well, cool in the fridge. You can spread that on a cookie or eat it simply with a glass of cold milk. I love it. Do it probably twice a year, when I have yolks left. Otherwise it is too rich and too unhealthy, mostly because I can eat the whole bowl of it.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Thanks Charlie for the alternative perspective. We have a lady friend from Lithuania who keeps us well supplied with fresh eggs; almost more than the two of us can eat ( and she only has 3 hens- Rhode Island Reds). Chickens are truly a wonderful thing.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #27
Master Chef

While it does sound delicious Charlie - whether the eggs are supermarket-purchased or farm-purchased, I'd still refrain from serving this to the very young, the very old, &/or anyone who's experiencing an immune-deficiency problem.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
lots of cakes ask for yolks by the dozen, I'm always throwing out the whites
Same here, I never seem to have leftover yolks. I must shy away from recipes that only use whites.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I don't know what t is called and not sure if Americans would be willing to eat raw eggs, but this is what I do. Take the same amount of egg yolks and sugar, mix it really well, using mixer sure helps, until sugar completely dissolves, then add some cocoa powder, or if you want to be really fancy shave some chocolate into the mixture, as much as you like or to make as dark as you like, I kind of go by looks, never really measured. Mix well, cool in the fridge. You can spread that on a cookie or eat it simply with a glass of cold milk. I love it. Do it probably twice a year, when I have yolks left. Otherwise it is too rich and too unhealthy, mostly because I can eat the whole bowl of it.
In all my born days I have never heard of such a concoction but since I consider eggs to be more healthful when raw than when cooked, I am always on the lookout for raw-egg recipes. They say a raw eggwhite is no good for you (contains a vitamin antagonist) so I am going to try your egg+bit of sugar+cocoa recipe.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #30
Master Chef

As far as concaction it self goes just ask any Russian wht the Gogol Mogol is? This is just a "chocolate" version of it. And as far as making it enjoy, just be careful do not forget that it is raw in the end.