Do you throw out your egg yolks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I'm on a high protein, low fat/carb diet right now. My wife and I ate 12 egg whites for breakfast but I'm really hesitant to throw out a dozen egg yolks. Do you just throw away yours?

I do have 3 young boys. Is there anything I can make with 12 yolks that they would enjoy?

No help for your yolks, but have you thought about maybe buying the quart containers of "All Egg Whites" products available? My husband adores them & they last quite a long time in the fridge - although with your consumption rate, I don't think fridge time would be a problem - lol!

Chocolate or vanilla pudding/custard, Key Lime Pie, creme brulee, cheesecake, ice cream, Boston Cream Pie, yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

scrambled eggs, just add very small amount of water for each egg or do the same thing and make french toast. i add water rather than milk, just me but i think the milk makes them tought

Eggs (specifically egg yolks --and cooked, of course) are really healthy for dogs. Dont give them a ton, but a few once in awhile can be good for them. Helps w/ their coat and is a good source of easily digested protein. :)

If you do give eggs to your pets, do cook them first. Unlike years ago, raw eggs are now considered unhealthy for dogs & cats - especially cats. Has something to do with B-Vitamin utilization I believe.

I would say the custards for desert are delicious and easy to make. I make a gang of pies and if you have kids that like peanut butter. You can make a peanut butter custard pie.

i would make my kids custard,or i would scramble all these yolks with a little butter,milk and sugar and maybe some vanilla extract,and make sweet scrambled eggs for them.

I understand what you mean, but since yolks are so high in cholesterol I wouldn't give them to anyone. I certainly opt for purchasing egg whites only so that I don't waste anything.

Actually, these days eggs are not "taboo" for low-cholesterol diets. In fact, even specialty docs say that as much as one egg per day is perfectly acceptable. In fact, here's a little blurb from today's healthy eating e-mail I receive daily:

"And when you're looking for lean sources of protein, don't forget about eggs. They're low in calories and fat and rich in B vitamins, vitamins E and A, and choline. As for their high cholesterol content, it turns out that eggs may have been unfairly maligned. Doctors now know that dietary cholesterol doesn't influence your blood cholesterol nearly as much as saturated and trans fats do. Since an egg has just 5 grams of fat (1.5 grams of saturated fat), one whole egg a day can fit neatly into a healthy low-fat diet."

Actually, these days eggs are not "taboo" for low-cholesterol diets. In fact, even specialty docs say that as much as one egg per day is perfectly acceptable. In fact, here's a little blurb from today's healthy eating e-mail I receive daily:

"And when you're looking for lean sources of protein, don't forget about eggs. They're low in calories and fat and rich in B vitamins, vitamins E and A, and choline. As for their high cholesterol content, it turns out that eggs may have been unfairly maligned. Doctors now know that dietary cholesterol doesn't influence your blood cholesterol nearly as much as saturated and trans fats do. Since an egg has just 5 grams of fat (1.5 grams of saturated fat), one whole egg a day can fit neatly into a healthy low-fat diet."

Interesting. Do you mind sharing who they quoted or where your healthy eating e-mail comes from? If this is true, my husband will be very happy. He has missed his yolks.

Interesting. Do you mind sharing who they quoted or where your healthy eating e-mail comes from? If this is true, my husband will be very happy. He has missed his yolks.

I was taught in college nutrition classes that dietary cholesterol has no bearing on human blood serum cholesetrol levels.. What does elevate blood cholesterol levels is saturated fats.....when I was in college, trans fats had not been used or at least studied:LOL:....this info was based on scientific studies done in the early 1980's and late 1970's. This is not new information, but I am glad to see that some doctors are acknowledging this!

The quote I supplied was from a "healthy living" daily e-mail I get from Ellie Krieger's website. She hosts a healthy eating show on The Cooking Channel.

But that quote is just a condensed version of what doctors have been saying for many years now - that eggs have gotten a bum rap, & avoiding them has pretty much done nothing but expand the wallets of the Egg-Beaters, etc., folks. I've gotten literally the same info from lots of other sources, including my own doctors.

Do yourself - & your husband - a favor & do a websearch on "Eggs in a Low-Cholesterol Diet". You'll get tons of current nutritional info from legitimate medical sources on how real "whole" eggs easily fit into a low-cholesterol low-fat dietary regime. Of course, as with everything, this means "in moderation".:)

I also suggest you/he ask your docs about it the next time you visit. All docs have different opinions obviously, but with any luck you'll be pleasantly surprised.

So even though recently I had read that the yolk was bad I tried again and this time perused about six different articles all online and some of which I couldn't verify who really wrote it and where they got their information.

Half of the articles state how good egg yolks were and that they contain all the vitamins protein. The other half however concentrated on that they still contain high amounts of saturated fat.

I looked up two sites providing nutritional information and both stated that the egg yolk was indeed high in saturated fat. :ermm:

I just saw that you added more to your comment, or I missed it the first time! I will certainly ask our doctor the next time we are in.

Which to me my above comment supports my belief that you either eat absolutely nothing or take some of the bad with the good!

I wish I was better at explaining stuff like this, but I'm sure your doc can. It has to do with "dietary cholesterol" & "blood cholesterol", & that egg yolks fall into the former category which isn't remotely as lethal as the 2nd. Again, I'm just trying to recall the doc's explanation & I'm terrible at it.

Regardless, I was told an egg a day was fine. And I don't even REMOTELY approach that in egg consumption. Maybe one or two a week tops, & rarely even that now that I'm currently not raising my own chickens. Now when I had my own flock, that was another story. . . .

But again - your doc should have the final word as everyone's condition is different.

Egg yolks contain a substance that make it digestible! One or two a day is very good for you, so go enjoy yourself. But try to get cage-free kind. If you lived next door I'd give you all the eggs you want buck shee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom