Does any one else on Discuss Cooking practice intermittent fasting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just an observance. I find it interesting that the word FAST, here, is being used two ways. One is not to eat. Two is lowering your caloric intake to 500 calories a day. To me that is like using the word RUN to mean sitting in a chair or running a race. The definition of FAST is to "limit or eliminate food .." So the action is inline with the definition. Actually what is being talked about is a series of days in a week where you reduce your food intake to 500 calories.

Just an observance. I find it interesting that the word FAST, here, is being used two ways. One is not to eat. Two is lowering your caloric intake to 500 calories a day. To me that is like using the word RUN to mean sitting in a chair or running a race. The definition of FAST is to "limit or eliminate food .." So the action is inline with the definition. Actually what is being talked about is a series of days in a week where you reduce your food intake to 500 calories.

A lot of the initial research centred around total fasting for periods of time, or prolonged very low calorie diets. Research suggests intermittent 'fasting' gives most/all of the benefits with fewer draw backs. I think the semantics of the word fast become very interesting, for example, in many religious fasts one can limit types of food, or the times one eats. I think the limit is the key to the word fast, but the vital part in its success is the intermittent part. Not eating on the between days is counter productive.

E.g. Like others here I find a very severely limited calorie restricted diet 'lowers my metabolism' (because of my health condition I have actually had this monitored and I have an exceptionally low basal metabolic rate). This dropped very low on a medically supervised very low calorie diet and made me much iller. Intermittent fasting doesn't allow the body to enter 'starvation mode' because you are never without food and your body is boosted by the 'feast' days. Certainly for me the measuring tape and my energy levels suggest this is working, however my BMR has yet to be rechecked to verify this, so it could be placebo :)

It's been so long since i have been here I cannot remember the site protocol on links to recipes and articles,

I am sure so e one will correct me if this is not allowed, but this is a nice example. I have only so far made the courgettes (zucchini) recipe from this list but the dipping sole is high on my wish list.

5:2 diet: healthy recipes 250 calories or less - Telegraph

One of the benefits of the popularity of this ATM is the wonderful meals being published regularly, but its not hard to work out the calorie content and nutritional value of a meal or better, daily menu, using one of the apps available now. I tend to plan my menus very roughly over a week to a fortnight (days might get juggled and surprises do pop up, last minute invites etc) which I find helpful both for food management but also for budgeting/home economics.

Tbh, my main interest with my health condition is the metabolic improvements and also, with a strong family history of Alzheimer's (grandmother, then aunt with very early onset and father showing signs) the potential to reduce risk of this or at least postpone it is also a huge motivator.

That's more manageable. Sounds like a cleanse to me. I do that to but I never "fast" or go without food completely.
I just prefer doing my cleanses with fruit or veg because I have trouble eating meat without fats and carbs. I snack on nuts for protein.
I thought you meant you starve yourself for 2 or 3 days per week :LOL:
My bad, didn't read properly :LOL:

For my "fast" day (ie 500 calories) I start off with scrambled eggs with smoked salmon , or 2 soft boiled eggs, then for my evening meal I have either home made soup , or fish and vegetables or a salad with meat or fish . No lunch, plenty of water, herbal teas , and sometime a piece of fruit of I have enough calories left . I log everything on My Fitness Pal. I can put recipes into it and work out the calories per portion and it gives me details of fat and nutrients .

Hoo boy. I actually read the title of this thread and thought it said "Does anyone else on Discuss Cooking practice intermittent FEASTING?"

And I was like "Um... yeah. Don't we all?" :LOL:

Hoo boy. I actually read the title of this thread and thought it said "Does anyone else on Discuss Cooking practice intermittent FEASTING?"

And I was like "Um... yeah. Don't we all?" :LOL:

I like the way you think! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i used to fast, in younger, headier days when i thought i could expand my mind and cleanse my body through various schemes (often chemical in life challenging/survival situations), but i've found that such rationale is for folks who are intent on playing with perception and are looking for a center by causing themselves to skew for said perspective.

eating a little is good once in a while since most people often, or maybe usually,over do it. far too often. but starvation fasting is, well, for those still searching for a center. we might have less obesity by thinking this way, but it's still unbalanced.

just my 2 centavos.

Last edited:
I watched that PBS special and it was quite interesting.

The one thing I found interesting was the idea that it stimulates the brain and slows the symptoms of aging.

I don't think I could voluntarily live with this yo-yo eating routine.

I used to do it more often, but yes, occasionally I do take a day of juice and maybe a bit of fruit. Enough to keep me from getting dizzy.

I used to do it more often, but yes, occasionally I do take a day of juice and maybe a bit of fruit. Enough to keep me from getting dizzy.

I used to fast for 2 days per month but it's been hard since joining DC :LOL:
I can't read about all these yummy foods without wanting some!

Dr Michael Mosely did a programme on this and he has a book out too, he did the diet himself and now maintains on 6:1 . It's really easy to fit into your lifestyle , it's not yo yo dieting, you are just reducing your intake for 2 days . It's incredibly effective .

Dr Michael Mosely did a programme on this and he has a book out too, he did the diet himself and now maintains on 6:1 . It's really easy to fit into your lifestyle , it's not yo yo dieting, you are just reducing your intake for 2 days . It's incredibly effective .

The ADF research he presented was rather thought provoking, especially the connection between hunger/fasting, and the growth of new brain cells.

For those that say fasting isn't a natural way to eat, it really is. Man didn't humans didn't evolve eating 2000k a day. It was either feast or famine in most cases, until agriculture took hold, but even then, no one was assured a meal.

The ADF research he presented was rather thought provoking, especially the connection between hunger/fasting, and the growth of new brain cells.

For those that say fasting isn't a natural way to eat, it really is. Man didn't humans didn't evolve eating 2000k a day. It was either feast or famine in most cases, until agriculture took hold, but even then, no one was assured a meal.
I was thinking the same thing about how natural it is for us to fast occasionally. I read that in Australian zoos they give all the big cats a fast day about once a week, because it is more natural and healthier for them.

I use to have days once or twice a week where I ate very little, if any. I was very unhealthy and I think that intermittent fasting was a major cause of that. Now that I just eat primarily fresh foods with maybe three servings of meat a week, I look and feel healthier. I've got more energy than ever before. I moved, by myself, 2,250 lbs of cinderblock in one day two weeks ago. I can't imagine doing that before.

I get shaky, irritable, confused, etc. if I don't eat. That tells me it ISN'T healthy. Always listen to your body ;)

I use to have days once or twice a week where I ate very little, if any. I was very unhealthy and I think that intermittent fasting was a major cause of that. Now that I just eat primarily fresh foods with maybe three servings of meat a week, I look and feel healthier. I've got more energy than ever before. I moved, by myself, 2,250 lbs of cinderblock in one day two weeks ago. I can't imagine doing that before.

I get shaky, irritable, confused, etc. if I don't eat. That tells me it ISN'T healthy. Always listen to your body ;)
I think that getting shaky, irritable, and confused tells you that it isn't healthy for you. Always listen to your body. ;)

Back
Top Bottom