"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #31
Master Chef

I used to do it more often, but yes, occasionally I do take a day of juice and maybe a bit of fruit. Enough to keep me from getting dizzy.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I used to do it more often, but yes, occasionally I do take a day of juice and maybe a bit of fruit. Enough to keep me from getting dizzy.
I used to fast for 2 days per month but it's been hard since joining DC
I can't read about all these yummy foods without wanting some!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #33
Head Chef

Dr Michael Mosely did a programme on this and he has a book out too, he did the diet himself and now maintains on 6:1 . It's really easy to fit into your lifestyle , it's not yo yo dieting, you are just reducing your intake for 2 days . It's incredibly effective .
Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Hoo boy. I actually read the title of this thread and thought it said "Does anyone else on Discuss Cooking practice intermittent FEASTING?"

And I was like "Um... yeah. Don't we all?"
Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #35
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Dr Michael Mosely did a programme on this and he has a book out too, he did the diet himself and now maintains on 6:1 . It's really easy to fit into your lifestyle , it's not yo yo dieting, you are just reducing your intake for 2 days . It's incredibly effective .
The ADF research he presented was rather thought provoking, especially the connection between hunger/fasting, and the growth of new brain cells.

For those that say fasting isn't a natural way to eat, it really is. Man didn't humans didn't evolve eating 2000k a day. It was either feast or famine in most cases, until agriculture took hold, but even then, no one was assured a meal.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
The ADF research he presented was rather thought provoking, especially the connection between hunger/fasting, and the growth of new brain cells.

For those that say fasting isn't a natural way to eat, it really is. Man didn't humans didn't evolve eating 2000k a day. It was either feast or famine in most cases, until agriculture took hold, but even then, no one was assured a meal.
I was thinking the same thing about how natural it is for us to fast occasionally. I read that in Australian zoos they give all the big cats a fast day about once a week, because it is more natural and healthier for them.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

The fact that humans often couldn't get enough to eat in the past doesn't make fasting a healthful way to eat. I like to use .gov or .edu sites for researching health info.

http://mobile.goaskalice.columbia.ed...ht-151-healthy

http://mobile.goaskalice.columbia.ed...ge-body-toxins
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

I use to have days once or twice a week where I ate very little, if any. I was very unhealthy and I think that intermittent fasting was a major cause of that. Now that I just eat primarily fresh foods with maybe three servings of meat a week, I look and feel healthier. I've got more energy than ever before. I moved, by myself, 2,250 lbs of cinderblock in one day two weeks ago. I can't imagine doing that before.

I get shaky, irritable, confused, etc. if I don't eat. That tells me it ISN'T healthy. Always listen to your body ;)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwillow View Post
I use to have days once or twice a week where I ate very little, if any. I was very unhealthy and I think that intermittent fasting was a major cause of that. Now that I just eat primarily fresh foods with maybe three servings of meat a week, I look and feel healthier. I've got more energy than ever before. I moved, by myself, 2,250 lbs of cinderblock in one day two weeks ago. I can't imagine doing that before.

I get shaky, irritable, confused, etc. if I don't eat. That tells me it ISN'T healthy. Always listen to your body ;)
I think that getting shaky, irritable, and confused tells you that it isn't healthy for you. Always listen to your body.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think that getting shaky, irritable, and confused tells you that it isn't healthy for you. Always listen to your body.

Oh...you don't want to listen to mine...

Tags
cooking