"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 06-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #51
Head Chef
Fasting works for many people. I had a health check up this week and am at a healthy weight with a healthy bmi , cholesterol is fine, blood pressure fine , glucose levels fine, all good healthy levels. There are definite health benefits with fasting , but losing weight is your first health benefit ! If we all ate in moderation , all the time , then there would be no need for any diets, but we don't do we ? So we have to find something that works for us , and fasting works for me .

Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #52
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to msminnamouse Send a message via Yahoo to msminnamouse
I learned in college nutrition courses that fasting doesn't work. Particularly a day here and there because it puts your body in starvation mode and your body won't burn down your stores of calories and fats.

I try not to eat when I'm not hungry. It doesn't make much sense to cram your face when your body isn't indicating you require it.

What has really helped me lose weight and keep it off is not eating when I'm distracted, so I'm aware of when I get full. Watching my calories and fat intake ALL the time, not just here and there or on a certain day. And filling up on salad and celery and other low calorie, high fiber foods to take up the bulk of the room in the stomach so I can cut back on portions of higher calorie stuff. I also snack on salad and veggies.

High protein doesn't really help me feel full but if it did, I would make sure to get a good amount of that as well.

Drinking a lot of water also helps me feel full and eat less and it's better than drinking juice, soda, tea, etc. loaded with calories.

I don't really have energy to exercise because of sleep problems so this has worked for me.

msminnamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
I think the best advice I ever received was to eat a salad about twenty minutes before you eat your main entree. It takes your stomach that long to know it has food and to dispel any hunger pains you may have had. Since most of your calorie intake is after the salad, you eat less of the high calorie foods. On nights I would make beans for the family, I would serve a salad first mainly so that they got some veggie type of food in their tummies. Little did I know I was actually doing more than a good thing. After all the beans contained sugar and molasses. Unfortunately for me, I no longer can eat raw roughage. Too bad. Because I have always loved salad. But about once a year I will tear up a small head of lettuce, pour ranch dressing over it and let it soak until it is mostly mushy lettuce. Not the most appetizing but I get some of my beloved salad in me. Then I pay the consequences. And it is worth it to me. I know! I am.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #54
Executive Chef
I practice beer cleansing every weekend...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #55
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Lol! Rock
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #57
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
That's an all grain diet...you need at least some V-8 to get those veggies in. A little Red Beer never hurt anyone.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #58
Head Chef
Fasting does work though . In particular I am referring to the Dr Michael Mosely 5:2 diet . Your body is not put into starvation mode . This diet really does make the body work to use the fat stores and offers so many health benefits like reduced cholesterol, reduced blood pressure and the reversal of type 2 diabetes . It works for so many people who have tried to diet before and failed, there is a real science behind it (check it out online, Michael Mosely can explain it so much better ) . I belong to a 5:2 forum and the results speak for themselves so many people are losing weight and improving their health , myself included .

Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote