"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I lost weight successfully on a 2000 calorie a day diet. I allowed 600-750 calories per day for breakfast, 250-400 calories for lunch and 1000 for dinner. That worked for me. Some days I'd end up eating only 1100-1300 calories total and other days, 2400-3000. Each week I averaged out to the 2000 calorie limit. I also tracked fat and cholesterol intake.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I lost weight successfully on a 2000 calorie a day diet. I allowed 600-750 calories per day for breakfast, 250-400 calories for lunch and 1000 for dinner. That worked for me. Some days I'd end up eating only 1100-1300 calories total and other days, 2400-3000. Each week I averaged out to the 2000 calorie limit. I also tracked fat and cholesterol intake.
What are your most physically challenged days? Meaning days when you are the most involved with a sports activity like bicycling (cycling), boating or body boarding, belong to a team like volley ball, racquetball, bowling or even a pool tournament. Believe it or not people burn calories playing bingo.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
I try to count because it keeps me on track. If I see 600 calories on the label of some tiny portioned thing, I'll probably steer clear of it. But the worst is having something with no nutrition facts listed on the package, then going online later and finding out just how bad it was for you. . . it's times like those I wish I never started counting. Lol.

I also like counting because I can compare my intake against the amount I burn by exercising each day. This site is pretty helpful, lots of calculators: Free Calorie Counter, Weight Loss Calculator & Weight Loss Tutorial
Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have wondered why they don't have nutritional info printed on booze bottles, and beer bottles. They do on soda, and even water. Why not alcohol?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
I have wondered why they don't have nutritional info printed on booze bottles, and beer bottles. They do on soda, and even water. Why not alcohol?
They don't put nutritional information on fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, seafood....etc. We don't demand it. Thank goodness for the research that has been put into books.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
But, in VA stores they normally have a board posted for the fruits and produce that are bulk, and not prepackaged. But that is VA, I am not sure if that reflects nationally. And if the info is not posted, it is readily available upon request.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Believe it or not people burn calories playing bingo.
Does computer Bingo count? How many cards can I play ? j/k StirBlue.

Perhaps I should clarify re I didn't exercise -- my lifestyle was busy, busy, busy - run here, run there, running up & down stairs in high heels (not for exercise), dancing every weekend working up a sweat, cooking, cleaning grocery shopping, taking care of the house etc., etc. Lifestyle changes - i.e. being sedintary (sp), sitting on the couch, munching chips, ordering pizza etc - will not burn anything off. I know my weak points - i.e. now I love bread, bagels, cheese & too much soda. I'm not a big dessert fan - so no problem there. When I have a salad, it's not going to be Caesar -- do the math. Pretty much common sense. Counting calories gave me a new awakening as far as reading labels & after awhile you know what's a no-no. BTW - hot dogs & chips did not fit into the plan. Also, I didn't eat breakfast (I know many people do) - back then it was a cup o coffee & a slice o' toast. Beverages count as well - i.e. you can have a glass of white wine at about 90-100 calories. It also taught me about using seasonings (besides herbs/spices) like using lemon pepper on salmon or fish. A typical lunch might be a tuna (solid white, drained) with a tablespoon of salad dressing served inside half a cantaloupe. Dinner can be lean beef, baked potato & steamed veggie - brussels sprouts, broc anything fresh - zukes, tomatoes etc or squash. Another benifit was being able to taste food in its' freshness.

I stuck with it & lost weight. It's time for me to get motivated again. Keep a pair of skinny jeans in the closet you want to get into - have a goal. Good luck
Old 04-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
What are your most physically challenged days? Meaning days when you are the most involved with a sports activity like bicycling (cycling), boating or body boarding, belong to a team like volley ball, racquetball, bowling or even a pool tournament. Believe it or not people burn calories playing bingo.
You burn calories laying perfectly still in bed. Everybody has a basal metabolism rate. That's the number of calories needed by your body to perform the basic life maintaining functions such as breathing, heart beating, liver functioning, kidneys working, etc. Everything you do, however small, burns calories in addition to that.

I calculated my approximate daily BM rate (weight in pounds 250 times 11= 2,750) and set a daily calorie maximum at 2,000 so I could burn off some fat and lose weight. It worked for me and I lost quite a bit.

The hardest part is your making the emotional and logical commitment to make weight loss a priority.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I am no longer obsessive but I approximate everything mentally and don't go nuts, but I am aware. These are a few of my main counts.

In my mind:
1 oz meat = 50 cal
1 oz seafood = 25 cal
1/2 cup starchy veggies = 50 cal
1 cup of veggies = 25 cal
1 slice bread = 75 cal
1 cup of any snack = 150 cal
1 cup fruit = 50 cal
4 oz wine =100 cal
12 oz light beer = 100 cal
pina colada = shut my eyes and enjoy it

I know this isn't exact but it keeps me in check. Right now I'm eating:
B: 1/2 c oatmeal made with skim milk, with 1/2 c frozen fruit
L: 4 oz seafood mixed with a low fat dressing (this week I'm using Paul Newman's lo fat sesame and ginger dressing) and 10 saltines, with any veggies I want
D: Whatever I choose to make but I eat a reasonable portion

Snacks: fruit/veggies/chips/cookies - I don't limit myself to anything
Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #20
Head Chef

In the wake state, the body needs 73 calories to maintain bodily functions. (why people with anorexia survive years of suffering) If you are awake 16 hours a day your body burns 1,168 calories. If you consume 2000 calories, you must burn 832 calories each day in physical activity. (Calories needed for sleeping is 25) So you could take off an additional 200 calories leaving you with 632 calories. 3200 calories makes a pound. You gain an average of 3 to 5 lbs a week or 156 to 260 lbs a year.

Walking around WW does not burn enough calories to compensate for the samples that you ate in the Deli.

Some people say they are heavy and some people say they are moderately obese. The words chunky, husky, and big nowadays describes the person who is 80 to 100 lbs overweight. Anyone who weighs more than 40 lbs over their weight proportion is obese.