"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

hello

hey guys! I am new to this forum and would like to make some cooking friends. Exchange receipe and tips so that I can broaden my "cooking" horizon. Back to the forum, I think calorie counting is not necessary to actually count the calories you are consuming as long as you know what ball park you are in. Because if you do not know a calorie value of some main dish that could put up up higher on the scale. And what woman wants that, esp with our metabolism slowing down.

-Liz

Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I have just always hated math.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Counting calories is the easiest method for weight loss I hate when people count fat grams ,carbohydrates,sugar etc its ridiculous a calorie is a calorie wether its fat or bread or what ever.The more healthy you eat the more you can eat as its less calories than fast food or processed foods etc.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Instead of counting my daily intake of calories, I prefer to excercise and eat healthy
Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastronomicus
Instead of counting my daily intake of calories, I prefer to excercise and eat healthy
I do those things, too. For me, part of eating healthy includes keeping an eye on my calorie count.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I'm trying to quit. I've been so obsessed by dieting and counting calories that it finally turned into an eating disorder... Now I try to eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full and eat what I feel like eating!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #37
Head Chef

I like to calorie count when I'm trying to watch my weight or lose weight.
I'm not doing that right now since I'm pregnant and due in August 'lol'.

Here is a calculator. Calorie Needs - Women

and also some good information about how one pound of weight is equal to 3,500 calories and how that equals into losing weight.

I also used to really like using this site for finding out how many calories in a certain type of food. You can save them on a daily basis and look at charts and everything. Of courses some times you had to go with estimates.

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

Of course exercise helps too.

My mom is on weight watchers right now and would rather not calorie count. Everyone has there preference.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #38
Head Chef

I absolutely calorie count..There is no reason not to.

It's really easy once you get the hang of it, especially if you prepare your own food. I don't use many charts now that i've gotten the hang of it, i just use measures i keep in my head, and i round up, in case i am leaving something out.

It's a great tool to use especially if you work out.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 AM   #39
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Counting calories is the easiest method for weight loss I hate when people count fat grams ,carbohydrates,sugar etc its ridiculous a calorie is a calorie wether its fat or bread or what ever.The more healthy you eat the more you can eat as its less calories than fast food or processed foods etc.
I came into this thread wondering about that. So could one say that looking that the whole list of Fat grams, Carbs, Sugar, Sodium, etc... is actually just over complicating everything?

I'm mean sure you can glance at the Vitamins or Iron or Potassium and so on to see if you're getting nutrition, but for dieting can one get by with relying on the Calorie count?

I recently have gotten really off-track with trying to lose weight. I'd made some progress, but then on a business trip I was at a convention banquet that had this awesome gourmet buffet style catering and I indulged to much and my diet kind of got derailed.

So I've decided to finally actually see if I can work on calorie counting and figuring out what my daily calorie intake ought to be.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #40
Cook

I do count calories, but I think it's important to look at the whole nutriention label and get a sense if it's good for you overall. And I try to be in a postive mood when I go to the grocery store. If I don't buy the bad stuff shen I'm at the store I can't eat it.