"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Does Anybody Calorie Count Anymore?

It is almost impossible to account for every calorie you consume each day but I like to have a rough idea. I have been using the calorie charts on bhg.com. It is just a good reference and it covers all the main food groups. This past Sunday night I made a simple grilled chicken salad with minced cilantro and mint...yum! Anyways I know grilled chicken is low in calories but I really had no clue how low. I hopped online real quick and found out that 3 ounces of cooked chicken breast with no skin is only 140 calories. It's just good to know

Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Thanks for that link Ironside. It just might give me the impetus I need to start counting again! and start using the treadmill again too

Old 04-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Sorry never have and never will, I know what I should and should not eat. Its the will power I need some time !
Old 04-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I found Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program to be great. You can use the recipe analyzer to plug in what you are making, love this function!

I don't count anymore since I now have a very good idea of how many calories are in foods I eat, but I had no clue until I used that site!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

I like to use this one from USDA.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

I don't usually count, but I am aware of my intake in a general sense. I think I would drive myself bonkers trying to track every calorie that I consumed.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

When I try to lose weight, I calorie count as a means. I do a rough calculation of my max. calories per day and count towards that. It works for me but SO did not have success with it. She did well with a low carb diet.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSides
It is almost impossible to account for every calorie you consume each day but I like to have a rough idea. I have been using the calorie charts on bhg.com. It is just a good reference and it covers all the main food groups. This past Sunday night I made a simple grilled chicken salad with minced cilantro and mint...yum! Anyways I know grilled chicken is low in calories but I really had no clue how low. I hopped online real quick and found out that 3 ounces of cooked chicken breast with no skin is only 140 calories. It's just good to know
IronSides, welcome to DC, if I missed you walking in the door. I did the calorie counting thing when I wanted to lose a few. I bought a calorie counter booklet at the checkout stand at the market. My caloric intake (female - 5'7" would be 1200 calories a day. I logged everything I ate on a daily basis, & didn't go over 1200 calories. I learned how to sub out high fat ingredients with fresh herbs, and make substitutes i.e. butter buds for butter etc. For me, it was a mindset of a healthy eating lifestyle. Eliminating fatty oils, butter & limiting bread (which I was never a big fan of in the past), made a big difference. I incorporated fruits & veggies, grilled salmon, chicken etc -- so it wasn't really a diet - but a healthier way of eating/living. I also added vitamins & led an active life - w/o needing to exercise. With the calorie counter, log what you eat every day every meal, & you will see a difference.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Food File is a great program too, for a lot more then calorie counting.

I count, to a point. It is hard to track everything, but I too know what is good, and what is not.

It is good to count when you are starting a lifestyle change. It helps you get used to knowing what is in things and what you can have on a regular basis, and not have but for a treat. After getting used to it, it becomes habit, and a no brainer.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Head Chef

For many years the recommended calorie count for women was 1200 and men was 1400. (teenage ladies 1400 and gentlemen 1600). The 1,000 calorie diet was very popular.

Now that we are less active and have more lifestyle conveniences, the normal calorie count is 2000+. (+ means plus anything else you put in your mouth)

An average meal consist of approximately 450-650 calories. 450x3=1350 and 650x3=1950. A snack consist of about 150-300 calories and two snacks would be 300-600 calories. The meal calorie count could cover a beverage but the snack usually does not. The beverages consumed between meals is more than 2000 each day!

On casual Friday, adults consume more than 30,000 calories. On Saturdays, children consume an average of 20,000 calories. And on Wednesdays Senior Citizens consume about 10,000 calories.

My advice to a dieter who wants a slice of chocolate cake or a brownie is to work off the calories first. (known as the calorie Savings Bank)

Calorie counting is very accurate.....Honesty is the temptation to avoid writing down the extras.

You can choose the calories that you want: a bag of chips for 110 calories or an apple for 110 calories. Which keeps you satisfied the longest? But then there are the hard choices like a hot dog for 250 calories (wiener & bun only) or an omelet for 250 calories (2 eggs & tbsp of cheddar cheese). A bag of Cheetos and a beer OR a bag of Doritos and a soda? Go with your Gut!