"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-19-2004, 12:12 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

well that kinda sucks.

all my favorite foods are in the "avoid" category. :(

like cashews. beef. shrimp. jalepenos. milk. cheese in general. oh boy.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I did the blood type diet 2 yrs ago and lost 25 lbs. I just had a baby and starting to do that again. I learned alot from the books and eager to start it up again!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #13
Head Chef

Basically the diet encourages you to eat whole foods from your regional ethnic background. Here is a summary of each blood type. I feel that any diet that suggests whole foods will be successful.

Type A types
should basically stick to fruits and vegetables (high carbs / low fat).
They have thicker blood than other blood types, a sensitive immune system,
and should not consume dairy products, animal fats and meats. They are at
a heightened risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer.

Type B types
should consume a balanced diet (fruits and vegetables, grains, fish, dairy, meat,
but avoid chicken). They have the best chance of bypassing or overcoming
everyday types of diseases, including heart disease and cancer.

Type AB types
should consume a mostly vegetarian diet, and only on rare occasions some fish, meat (no chicken), and dairy.

Type O types
should basically stick to a high protein diet (including red meat), low carbs, and enriched with fruits and vegetables. They should limit the intake of wheat germ, whole wheat products, corn, and avoid dairy products and most nuts. Type O types are commonly affected with hypothyroidism, high stomach acid (leading to ulcers), and thinner blood with greater resistance to blood clotting.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
hmmm I wonder where you read that? I have the book Eat Right for your Blood Type by the doctor who is at the forefront of this idea, Dr/ Peter D'Adamo of Bastir University... see www,dadamo.com

It's a lot more complicated than that....
Old 09-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
hmmm I wonder where you read that? I have the book Eat Right for your Blood Type by the doctor who is at the forefront of this idea, Dr/ Peter D'Adamo of Bastir University... see www,dadamo.com

It's a lot more complicated than that....
I know it's more complicated than that. Those are summaries. I have the D'Adamo book too. What I posted is not in conflict with D'Adamo I believe.

For the rest: The blood type diet theorizes that certain blood types are tied to specific regions, and people with those blood types flourish when eating the foods associated with that region.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #16
Master Chef

I have a friend who is a holistic practitioner, and he has really helped me learn to eat better.
But my blood type is A- and I'm supposed to avoid a lot of dairy. I love milk, even skim, and all kinds of cheese, and am not willing to give them up. I have osteoporisis in my family, and brought the calcium issue up with him, but he insists that once the milk is pasteurized, the calcium is of no use to the body. He suggests eating one floret of broccoli every day, and claims that provides all the calcium the body needs.
He also bans sugar, even the natural ones in potatoes and carrots...also all pork, beef and processed meats. Poultry, fish, lamb, goat and venison are allowed. I tried going along with this part for a good while, and did find that my arthritis pain was much reduced. But I've just gotta have a burger or a pork chop now and then.

Wine is good though...he makes his own.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #17
Executive Chef

sorry I'm not avoiding tomatoes or navy beans. I know I need to limit my cheese intake. The rest is pretty common sense. Perhaps being a negative blood type allows me a few beefsteak toms each week in season.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I don't know about one floret of broccoli supplying your daily requirement of calcium, but I do know the human body absorbs calcium better from leafy green vegetables (the darker the better) than it does from any dairy products.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #19
Head Chef

For those considering this diet, it would be wise to read the book or at least the section about your type. And probably consult your doctor too. Most libraries will have this book.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I agree with vagriller. My friend who has type O blood, started the diet and his gout kicked up so badly that he could not walk. His doctor just laughed when my friend told him that he was on this blood type diet. Even though the diet says that he should eat more protein, my friend can't because of his tendency toward gout. So...I would definitely check this out with your doctor, especially if you have a pre-existing condition or a tendency toward something like gout, diabetes, etc. You just never know, huh? Anyway, my diet philosohy is "everything in moderation". My grandfather always said that and he lived to 103!!! Go figure!!!