Eat right for your blood type diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
I have a friend who is a holistic practitioner, and he has really helped me learn to eat better.
But my blood type is A- and I'm supposed to avoid a lot of dairy. I love milk, even skim, and all kinds of cheese, and am not willing to give them up. I have osteoporisis in my family, and brought the calcium issue up with him, but he insists that once the milk is pasteurized, the calcium is of no use to the body. He suggests eating one floret of broccoli every day, and claims that provides all the calcium the body needs.
He also bans sugar, even the natural ones in potatoes and carrots...also all pork, beef and processed meats. Poultry, fish, lamb, goat and venison are allowed. I tried going along with this part for a good while, and did find that my arthritis pain was much reduced. But I've just gotta have a burger or a pork chop now and then.

Wine is good though...he makes his own.

Constance, with all due respect to your friend, the skeptic in me would always ask for *reputable sources to back up such claims as he's making. Not only do they sound unfounded but also extremely difficult to stick with and, regarding calcium, possibly dangerous.

*problem here is that many who place themselves on the fringe don't trust or believe in anything that comes from a "reputable" source. :)

I always use my own common sense about things like this, SuzyQ. I drink my skim milk AND eat my broccoli (and other green leafy vegies).
Shelly, I agree with the philosophy of "Everything in moderation".

Even if you do the diet, things you eat in moderation help alot. Like I said, I did it before and kind of kept up with it. I did lose 25 lbs on it and I am trying to loose alot more after my baby. Im A+ and i did cut out alot red meat and dairy. I ate other things in place of them. It does work and its not that hard to keep up with it with either.

marinewife0310 said:
It does work and its not that hard to keep up with it with either.
Yes, I find that it's not hard to do as well. Just remember that even if something is on your avoid list doesn't mean you can never have it. Just don't have it every day! It's when you totally eliminate something that you crave it. It's a psychological thing.

Last edited:
I did that a quite a few times. There were times I wanted a cheeseburger or steak and I splurged. It didnt hurt at all.

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard since someone told me Dr. Phil was writing a diet book.

I clicked the link and looked at the site. I don't buy any of that crap at all. A sensible diet that is high in nutrition, low in sugar/simple-refined carbs/fat/artificial ingredients-toxins, is all people need to follow other than their doctors orders. Of course everyone is different and your like/dislike of food may be somewhat genetic and not just learned behavior. But if anyone is considering a weird shallow and vague diet such as this, let me recommend a diet with substance. Theres another website I visit where the longest existing thread with over 4,000 posts, is about a diet called 'Cohens Lifestyle Support' founded by a medical doctor and dietician. Blood samples are taken and analyzed, and a diet is specifically formulated for you, based on actual levels of what is in your blood.

Crap. I don't remember my blood type. I know I'm an A but I don't know if I'm an A positive or an A negative.

should not consume dairy products, animal fats and meats

Just kill me now why don't ya ??

Last edited:
middie said:
Crap. I don't remember my blood type. I know I'm an A but I don't know if I'm an A positive or an A negative.

I'm with you middie. I'm an A something. Several years ago I spied this book at a neighbors house and took the opportunity to review it. When I came to the part

"should not consume dairy products, animal fats and meats,

I quietly, (why is this printing like this?), shut the book and never gave it another thought.

No dairy products?? come on.........

Last edited:
Caine said:
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard since someone told me Dr. Phil was writing a diet book.

Regarding weight loss, if someone of normal health and metabolism (the vast majority of us) wants to lose weight, here's the secret: Decrease the calories ingested and/or expend more energy.

Easier said than done because food means so much to us; hence, we're always looking either for some easy fix or some heretofore unknown approach. The only thing we are sure to accomplish when we buy these books or videos or supplements touted by so-called experts is a decrease in our bank account and a great, big fattening of theirs.:(

middie said:

Sounds negative to me! :LOL:

Blood Type Diet with Health Improved & Wht. loss

I was in a wheel chair, and on oxygen 24/7 one year ago August. I started eating for my blood Type "O"within one month I had no more pain, from arthritis, switched to a walker and two weeks later to a cane. Been without any of it This year, unless I go to unfamiliar territory, than was advised to take cane along, just in case, for stability.

On January 27, I was able to get off of oxygen during the day, after being on it for 6 years, for COPD and CHF w/ hypoxia. I do use a concentrator at night with my bi-bap machine, because I have sleep apnea.

I have lost 55 lbs so far. 50 in the first six months. Stayed the same for 8 months, and just started losing again. ( This is how I prayed to lose weight, so I can see if it really stayed off)(no other diet did stay off)

I eat ground beef, turkey, salmon, tuna, eggs, sweet potato (once a month)
I eat greens, spinach, endive, broccoli, green beans, snow peas, asparagas, carrots,
I eat bananas, blueberries, plums, pineapple juice, cherry juice, and mangos.

If I want something I'm not suppose to have I eat it for an hour and don't have it again for two or three weeks. (like ice cream)
I use the compliant seasoning, cayenne pepper, curry powder, tumeric,
I eat 3 cloves of garlic a day, and two Tablespoons of raw onion. I eat Walnuts daily, and some almonds, I try and eat ghee (It is good on an empty stomach for O's)(it is unsalted butter which has been cooked on or in stove, until it foams up and all foam is removed(that is the dairy part) I place whats left looks like a golden oil, but hardens a little as it cools) I also use Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2-3T a day with juice of 1/2 lemon, and seasoning or herbs for a salad dressing, or if no salad just put it on my meat or veggies.
I check the forum at http://www.dadamo.com can find out a lot of information there.

Last edited:
I, too, bought the book eat right for your type, a couple of years ago when it was a fad traveling the globe. a girl I worked with saw me eating something one day and asked me what type blood I had. It was a weird question for her to ask but I answered it anyway, A+...
she then told me I shouldn't be eating whatever I was eating as I am basically [via blood type], agrarian. so, the book told me my basic and best proteins were two things, tofu and domestic snails. needless to say, I took the book back to Barnes and Noble, I'm not eating snails thank you very much.:wacko:

Hey Lefse, I read the book when the fad started a few years ago too. For my blood type (O-) I'd have to give up all the things that make life worthwhile. No corn products, no acidic products of any kind (including citrus,tomatos, pickles and RHUBARB!) and no more chicken etc. I could deal with eating rare beef everyday if I had to, but geez, giving up that other stuff. No way. Can you imagine never having another mandarin orange ever again? Or never having the burst of flavour from homemade salsa again? Yikes.

Gemini it's great to see that this is helping someone. I don't have as much willpower as you do. Keep up the great job !

Alix said:
Hey Lefse, I read the book when the fad started a few years ago too. For my blood type (O-) I'd have to give up all the things that make life worthwhile. No corn products, no acidic products of any kind (including citrus,tomatos, pickles and RHUBARB!) and no more chicken etc. I could deal with eating rare beef everyday if I had to, but geez, giving up that other stuff. No way. Can you imagine never having another mandarin orange ever again? Or never having the burst of flavour from homemade salsa again? Yikes.
Alix, I think if you were ill and the doctors didn't know really what to do for you any more, as happens with many people, you might be willing to try that diet. Look what it's done for GeminiSue... probably no coincidence.

I don't follow it to the letter, but there are many foods I no longer eat regularly that I used to eat, and I have noticed a difference. According to the program, I should not be eating any red meat. I do eat red meat, but I am careful to eat only organic or sustainably raised red meat... no hormones or steroids...and not very often. As much as I love oranges, I rarely eat them any more. I noticed that my body reacts strangely to them, tho not to other citrus...

Unfortunately, I cannot stomach tofu. :rolleyes:

June, I agree that if I were in poor health my choices would be different. Please forgive me if I offended, I was trying to be lighthearted and I guess it didn't translate well.

I confess, I had no idea what post you were referring to at first and had to scroll up to see what you meant. I had not seen her post before, just Lefse's. I think Geminisue must have posted when I was ill.

No offense was intended.

Hi- Geminisue here, again- just wanted to let you know that if a food is neutral you can still eat it, it just doesn't do anything for you good or bad (except it still adds on calories of course) Also, if there is a food you just can't give up, and it is not affecting you badly, you can enjoy it. Dr. D says if a person is 85 % compliant each day, they should have many health benefits come there way. It is so true. Tofu does taste bland, like nothing, but and its a big but have you tried making peanut butter pie with it. It's delicious. Have you tried sprinkling spices on it and grilling it in your compliant oil. put in in a pita with all kinds of things you like, and if you still can't eat it so what, try another beneficial food, everyone you can get in you only benefits your health and every avoid you eliminate can only help you too. Do the best you can. I just decided to add red wine to my food plan, and I'm not a drinker but it will benefit my health and raise my hdl's a little higher, which is what I need to happen. So if 4-6 OZ of red wine will help, I'm willing to give it a try. and if I don't like it I will forget it. Today I bought beet greens for the first time, it will lower my glucose. I will cook it in olive oil with curry powder, cumin, garlic and a little sea salt, and when its finish I may squirt fresh lemon on it, and see how it is. Hope I like it, it is new to me. I also bought green pumpkin seeds and will heat them in a cast iron frying pan on a very low heat until lightly brown, turning often and season with sea salt (sea salt is better for us because it takes the water out of the tissue but doesn't deplete our potassium like a diuretic does. 1/4 teaspoon a tea a recommended. Also parsley can be boiled in a big stock pot and made into a tea. (it also is a natural diuretic)( can add what you like to it, honey, lemon, milk even tea if you need a different taste, but it is good on it's own cold or hot. I also drink half my weight in ounces of water a day. so the water will leave my organs and it does. My ankles look beautiful now. and I'm not a person who brags about anything concerning me. But I'm happy, I'm content and life goes on. Thank God for all he has to offer!

less is more, i eat anything i want to. just not very much of it. at least i try not too.

just lost ten pounds , while was ill. going to really try and keep it off. i really believe unless we change our diets to less and better food, we will not lose weight.

all these crazy diets are not good for most people. i think they make us to absorbed in food, on a constant basis. it is fuel, that happens in many cases to taste great. one slip up will not kill you. be sensible and eat less.

babe:cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom