"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Eating Right For Skin Care

My girlfriend is a huge skincare fan and she's just told me that avocados and mangos are great for the skin so I was just wondering if there was any recipes that taste good with these two key ingredients being the headliners so to speak, help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Some people develop an allergy to mangos, I'd be careful about putting it on my skin.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Some people develop an allergy to mangos, I'd be careful about putting it on my skin.
THIS. I have a very severe reaction to mangos. The skin is remarkably similar to poison ivy in many ways. If you have a bad reaction to poison ivy, DO NOT let mangos get anywhere near you.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Head Chef

I eat right for skin care. I'm pretty good at not stabbing myself in the face with my fork. More vanity that that I have little use for.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I try and prevent wrinkles by keeping my skin as tight as possible. That requires me to eat lots of everything...
Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
is water a food, lol? Water, water, and more water to keep your skin in decent shape.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree about drinking lots of water.

No one really addressed the OP's actual question though. The question was about recipes (for eating, not putting on the skin) using those two ingredients. I love mangoes and I love avocados, but I don't think I would care for both of them in the same dish. They might work ok together in a tropical fruit salad.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Haha correct I meant using them in recipes, what I'm ideally looking for is a recipe that include either mangos or avocados not both, any suggestions
Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Master Chef

I agree with everyone who said, water, water, and more water. No soda, not pop, not juice. Water. And, that said? The last few months I've fallen down on the water thing, and, yes, my skin shows it.

As others have mentioned, mangoes can really be a bear; some people are highly allergic, which, trust me, will not help your complexion.

Avocadoes? Any sandwich or salad can be improved with a sliced avocado. But my all time favorite is to simply to wash, halve, scoop out the pit, then fill the cavity with anything you like. I caught my husband (haha) filling it with steamed, seasoned, cold shrimp as a first course. But a dab of any mayo based salad (chicken salad, egg salad, ham ... you get it) works well as a filling lunch or light supper. If you like curry, add your favorite curry powder to the salad. Make sure to serve it with a spoon as well as a fork, so you can scrape the last delicious bit from the shell.

My husband only likes green mango. So, when I can get them, I put them on my mandoline and julienne. So much easier than other methods. I just peel with a regular potato peeler, ascertain where the pit is, then go to work. Then I use a white (something like red wine or balsamic discolor it and make it unattractive), mild/sweet vinegar (rice is one, malt another, but even cider), a pinch of sugar, and a pinch of hot pepper flakes.

Both of these are good, everyday things, but also can be elegant presentations.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

This is an amazing idea I'll make it her tomorrow night and let you guys know what she think xxx

Tags
eating