Ethnic Diets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see gravy on fries in the US every once in a while. There is a place in Burlington, VT called Nectars that is famous for their gravy and fries. Of course Burlington is basically Canada anyway.

Andy, I KNOW that poutine is uniquely French Canadian in origin. (Lord I love poutine!) I didn't think that the gravy bit was though. Thanks GB, I was pretty sure I'd eaten fries with gravy in the US before.

I have no doubt you have. I do every chance I get.
I have yet to try poutine, but can't wait for the opportunity. Sounds like a perfect food!

In a typical and traditional Indian meal all tastes are included and balanced for good digestion. Although nowadays it is not possible for us to follow the course due the shortage of time.

I am giving example of a full course Bengali meal.

1.Rice with ghee (ghee aggravate 'pitta' thus helps in digestion)
2.Sour dish like bitter gourd fry. Bitter cleanses our taste bud so we can enjoy the various tastes.
3.Dal with some salty fries and vegetable curries.
4.Pungent dish like fish prepared with mustard paste.
5.Spicy and savory dishes of fish or meat.
6.Chutney, generally sour.
7.Curd and sweets.

It is also considered that in a meal food must be of four kinds according to the consistency. The four types are 'chorbo' means chewables, 'chosya' means suckable, 'lehya' lickable and 'peya' means drinkable.

This may be off topic but do you have advice/recipes/suggestions to someone who wants to experiment with more Indian cuisine? I'm a vegetarian so many Indian dishes are great!

Many Indians are vegetarian so there are lots of veg dishes in Indian cuisine and they are no less tasty that non-vegs.

I just want to give you one suggestion that don't start with a vegetable that has extreme taste like bitter gourd or carambola or Neem etc.

Radhuni: I find the Indian system of combining tastes quite fascinating. (I am kapha-vatta, with the kapha part seeming to be a no-brainer when observing me for people familiar with the system.)

Dh is from Istanbul, Turkey. It is really heavy on the vegetables and seafood. The vegetables are often served cold in olive oil in various states of being cooked, for what they call mezes (appetizers). They eat a lot of fish (fresh - usually still alive when you buy it) white cheese (feta) and other cheeses, olives, and pickled foods. After every meal they eat fruit as their "dessert". Obviously the Mediterranean diet is known to be one of the healthiest in the world.

Oh, about the gravy on fries... I've actually only seen it in Canada and Belgium. I've never seen it here in the US, although when we travel it's never within the US, so I haven't been all over the country like some here have. What regions of the US do this?

Oh, about the gravy on fries... I've actually only seen it in Canada and Belgium. I've never seen it here in the US, although when we travel it's never within the US, so I haven't been all over the country like some here have. What regions of the US do this?

Most places I've been in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado...all you have to do is request it and nobody thinks you are crazy.:)

The diet of separating proteines to carb is a diet to reduce wheight without a hard limit in eating. The principle is that yto built back fat you need to get equal amount of carb and proteins but if you get them separated you will have too much of one and non of the other. So for reducing wheight is good, but is terrible for you because you load your liver and kidney of work. The chinese (but also Italian or any ethnic food) is based on best assumption of food as no one had the wheight calories problem before, so best diet was to balance food in order to use it most and efficiently.
The separated (dissociated) diet is something that one day expert would laugh about it and say how stupid we were at our time.

I have seen gravy on fries offered (on the menu) pretty much anywhere in the US I have been. I asked if I was gravy on my fries most of the time in Canada, though to be fair I have only been to Toronto and environs.

I have seen gravy on fries offered (on the menu) pretty much anywhere in the US I have been. I asked if I was gravy on my fries most of the time in Canada, though to be fair I have only been to Toronto and environs.

I've lived and traveled all over Europe and the Middle East, but lack a lot of travel experience in my own country, sadly. I've never seen it in the midwest, where I live and mostly travel, or in the cities I've traveled to on the coasts. I may have just not been noting it, though. I will now! And might try it!

I've been through most of the states that border Canada, and down to FLA, CA, and Hawaii, those places (as I recall) had fries with gravy.

So, a "Canadian" meal would be what? Poutine, back bacon, beef, and for dessert...Nanaimo bars? ;)

It seems that in most diners you can order a chicken strip dinner with fries and the toast and gravy come automatically (personally do not like gravy and just use BBQ sauce for everything except the toast).
As for the regional diets, being from the midwest, a lot is fried or at least not prepared in the healthiest ways. However I am around a lot of Central and South Americans and while they enjoy their fried food and whatever desserts I prepare, rice, beans, tortilla and sometimes meat (typically chicken breast) is staple when they eat their own cuisine. Maybe not the most varied and vitamin rich diet, but it suits budgetary needs and is filling.

Back
Top Bottom