"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Oh, about the gravy on fries... I've actually only seen it in Canada and Belgium. I've never seen it here in the US, although when we travel it's never within the US, so I haven't been all over the country like some here have. What regions of the US do this?
Most places I've been in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado...all you have to do is request it and nobody thinks you are crazy.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

The diet of separating proteines to carb is a diet to reduce wheight without a hard limit in eating. The principle is that yto built back fat you need to get equal amount of carb and proteins but if you get them separated you will have too much of one and non of the other. So for reducing wheight is good, but is terrible for you because you load your liver and kidney of work. The chinese (but also Italian or any ethnic food) is based on best assumption of food as no one had the wheight calories problem before, so best diet was to balance food in order to use it most and efficiently.
The separated (dissociated) diet is something that one day expert would laugh about it and say how stupid we were at our time.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #33
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Oh, about the gravy on fries... I've actually only seen it in Canada and Belgium. I've never seen it here in the US, although when we travel it's never within the US, so I haven't been all over the country like some here have. What regions of the US do this?

I have seen gravy on fries offered (on the menu) pretty much anywhere in the US I have been. I asked if I was gravy on my fries most of the time in Canada, though to be fair I have only been to Toronto and environs.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Canada = lots of back bacon and maple syrup.
...and Poutine?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I have seen gravy on fries offered (on the menu) pretty much anywhere in the US I have been. I asked if I was gravy on my fries most of the time in Canada, though to be fair I have only been to Toronto and environs.
I've lived and traveled all over Europe and the Middle East, but lack a lot of travel experience in my own country, sadly. I've never seen it in the midwest, where I live and mostly travel, or in the cities I've traveled to on the coasts. I may have just not been noting it, though. I will now! And might try it!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #36
Everymom

I've been through most of the states that border Canada, and down to FLA, CA, and Hawaii, those places (as I recall) had fries with gravy.

So, a "Canadian" meal would be what? Poutine, back bacon, beef, and for dessert...Nanaimo bars?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

It seems that in most diners you can order a chicken strip dinner with fries and the toast and gravy come automatically (personally do not like gravy and just use BBQ sauce for everything except the toast).
As for the regional diets, being from the midwest, a lot is fried or at least not prepared in the healthiest ways. However I am around a lot of Central and South Americans and while they enjoy their fried food and whatever desserts I prepare, rice, beans, tortilla and sometimes meat (typically chicken breast) is staple when they eat their own cuisine. Maybe not the most varied and vitamin rich diet, but it suits budgetary needs and is filling.