"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Fat-free or Low-fat Bolognese Sauce?

Does anyone know how to make this sause without the added calories of heavy cream. Technically, aka Ragu`alla Bolognese.

It's a form of meat sauce for spaghetti. But to lighten it a little bit, it calls for heavy cream. I was wondering if something like low-fat yogurt of low-fat sour crean can be used in place of the heavy cream.

I got a recipe for it, but when I discovered that I now have diabetes, I was wondering if I could get away with using a fat-free or low-fat alternative to the cream - which I'm trying to avoid the extra calories.

The recipe calls for only 2 tablespoons of heavy cream though. Should I be concerned about that? Seems like only a little bit.

Your thoughts, please.

~Corey123.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've seen Biba Gaggiano make this sauce on an old cooking show. She suggested you could skip the cream if you prefer. That may be a better alternative than an artificial cream substitute.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Well, I found out that it only requires little cream, so I may do it with heavy cream anyway. The sauce turns a slight pinkish color when it's used.

It is added near the end of the sauce's cooking time so that it doesn't cause the sauce to "break" (curdle from too much cooking).

That would probably be the only time I consume any fat. I'm going to use lean ground beef or ground chicken for the meat when I do it. But then I'm stuck with the rest (cream) and won't know how to get rid of it.

And spaghetti squash in place of the pasta.

And come to think of it, I think I saw Giada Delarentes make that same sauce on her show Everday Italian!

~Corey123.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
Executive Chef

you could use half and half, it's still calories and fat, but less, and still very creamy tasting.

creamers and yougurt do not cook, they separate and curdle..no no

if you leave it out, sub in some more tomato sauce or broth.

the amount of trouble from 2 tblspn in a pot of sauce is minor over the number of servings.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I thought about that, and you're right!

Half and half would suffice, and the small amount WOULD BE insignificant in terms of the small amount of fat introduced.

~Corey123.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I'm going to make this today. But instead of using ground beef, I'll use ground chicken which is healthier and is more fat free.

I'll walk over to the market again for some cream in an effort to lose some weight.

~Corey123.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Corey, I don't recall seeing on any of Italian cooking sites a recipe for ragu alla Bolognese that calls for cream. I surely never use it. There are numerous variations, as many as the number of households in Emilia Romana, but basically they are more or less like this . (There are many recipes that uses white wine instead of red, some recipe calls for butter...) In general, there is much less tomatoes/tomato sauce(puree) involved than it is believed abroad, and much more meaty.

If you would like to cut down on the excess calories, choose the leanest possible meat, precook them alone before you add to other ingredients, and press down really hard through the sieve to get rid of the fat.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I've eaten it numerous times at an Italian restaurant in Waltham. And it IS light in color. But it's mainly the starch that's in the noodles that I must cut down on - hence the spaghetti squash that will replace the noodles.

I plan to use ground chicken for it. That is the most healthy alternative over ground beef.

~Corey123.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I have used light cream before, but if it is just 2 tablespoons and I would not worry too much.

Which restaurants in Waltham do you like? There are so many to pick from. I have not been to Moody St. for a while. I bet there are a number of new places I should try.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

IMO gorund turkey tastes better than chicken, but that's just me.

Il Capricio in Waltham is wonderful, but i love Tuscan Grille.