"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer
I use TheraFlu as well GG. I find it works very well.
You are right about the steam. That is definitely a component that helps.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Sous Chef
The only thing I do different is drink more orange juice. I don't know that it does any good, but it sure tastes good! And I eat more garlic too. I always need an excuse to eat more garlic.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
Head Chef
I prefer tomato soup..

Actually when I have a cold. I like cereal....
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I agree with this. I just want to add that soups, tea, juice, water, and other liquids are so often recommended for a number of reasons, but one of them is that when sick (or even when not) people are often dehydrated and being properly hydrated is very important to fighting off illnesses.
To add to this...liquids are good for you when you have a cold (especially hot ones) because they help loosen up mucosal secretions (yes I used the word "mucosal" on a cooking forum )
I hate canned chicken soup too...especially now that I have a zillion recipes for home-made chicken noodle soup. Soooo much better! There's nothing like soup when you're sick. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Chicken soup

Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Master Chef
ok, this is not food........at the first sign of a cold or the flu I take over the counter Zicam..........it really does work for me and people and family that I've recommended it to.........it really does help to reduce the worst symptoms but the earlier you take it the better......also vitamin C with zinc is also good............if you can take it echinacea is good too.............none of this is recommended if you're pregnant.......check with your doctors if you have any medical conditions of any kind...........you don't want to have adverse medical problems............or call your pharmacist...........
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #17
Sous Chef
Ginger tea. Organic coconut oil (not in the tea). The coconut oil kills bacteria and viruses (actually, the lauric acid in the oil does it). The ginger tea is tasty, comforting, settles the tummy and improves circulation.

gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote