"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
sulfites in wine can give me a stuffy nose, but that's about it, except this really weird reaction to the calories in food...makes me gain a lot of weight! huh?
__________________

__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #22
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 101
Funny... I have that same strange reaction to calories! Weird huh?



Kadde
__________________

__________________
Kaddehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #23
Assistant Cook
 
soapgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 18
Quote:
I can't eat fresh pineapple. My tongue gets so excruciatingly sore. (Yes, I do remove the skin first :-P) I can't eat anything that got into contact with fresh pineapple as well.

However, I've no problems with canned pineapple.
Canned pineapple has been heated during the canning process which deactivates the enzyme bromelain (hope I spelled that right). That is the enzyme that helps break down a ham when you cook it with pineapple and is used to chemically age some meats.

I am so happy I have no allergies, but I have a neice who is very young and is deathly allergice to all peanuts/tree nuts, soy, eggs, and dairy. She has to carry and epi-pen at all times.
__________________
soapgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #24
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 90
I am allergic to avocados and bananas! I just developed these allergies about 4 years ago, around the same time that I became a vegetarian. I don't know if they are related though. With avocados I have a anaphylatic reaction and get very sick. If I touch a banana I start to itch like crazy, eat one and I'll be puking in 30 minutes. I guess I'm also allergic to everything else in that family like kiwi's and chestnuts but I haven't tried them out yet, not until I feel like being violently ill for at least 24 hours!
__________________
krichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Im so sorry for you guys so far no major food allergies however my mother and one brother are allergic to shell fish they get very ill even eating something that has been fried in the same oil as shell fish.I do believe I have a slight allergy to wheat I get a bit congested.My worst allergy is Bee Venom I carry 2 Epi Pens have not had a full blown reaction yet because I do all I can to not get stung but I am a good canditate the next time Im stung.I believe I have really bad bee karma because when I was a little kid in Germany I would pick bees off the hedge and pull their wings off. My job in Texas is somewhat stressful bees everywhere and I mean everywhere.Here at home the bees dont bother me they just fly by but in Texas they try to get in the truck,the house they are all over at the gas station they are every where and try to get in everything even grocery bags they hover every where.
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:22 AM   #26
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 196
Actually, I am glad someone started this thread as I have a question. I have, after some research, diagnosed myself with oral allergy syndrome. This basically means that due to my "normal" allergies (hay fever, etc), I am mildly allergic to some types of food, mostly raw vegetables (carrots, potatoes, celery and others) and a lot of fresh fruits (apples, pears, some berries). Reactions are always comparably mild if eating these foods, mostly just tingling/numbness in the mouth and lips and it really isnt severely dangerous, or hasnt been thus far.

Oral allergy syndrome basically occurs because your body mistakes an enzyme (I think) that is present in these foods for pollen. Cooking the foods gets rid of the enzyme, therefore no reaction.

Since I am not allergic to the foods (rather the pollen that my body mistakes these foods for) it is actually possible to cure this type of allergy with shots/pills, or so I hear.

I am thinking of giving this a try, anyone else have any experience with this?
__________________
flukx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #27
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
The one thing I wish all would do is differentiate between food allergies (i.e, , eating something will make you feel bad for a few hours or even a day) and FOOD ALLERGIES, (i.e., you get even a taste of peanut or shrimp and we need to dial 911 and hope you live long enough for the medics to get here, and hope that someone in the room has an epi-pen). There should be two different words. For example, I love clams, especially when in linguini with clam sauce. But I won't eat it in a restaurant, because it goes straight through me. So I make it once a year or so, at home, so that I can deal with the cramps and runs to the toilet. I don't consider that a food allergy. But when a meal sends someone to the emergency room, that's another story entirely. So, I wish there was another word for the true, death-is-possible, food alergy.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
flucks, I've lived among diverse ethnic groups all of my life. Some people simply lack enzymes to deal with certain foods. Many Asian women cannot drink alcohol, they lack the enzyme that helps to digest it (I'm putting it in my terms, someone here can explain it better than I). This isn't an allergy, really. If you lack an enzyme that allows you to digest something, well, heck, don't eat it. This is my quandry. When my Asian friends (for some reason it seems more common in women than men, don't ask me why) visit, they knew to not drink the alcoholic drinks. BUT, what I am getting at is that this isn't death-defying. One Asian friend decided she really wanted to drink my daquiries. She turned red, ran to the bathroom, puked her guts out for ... well, a couple of minutes, and came down to be cossetted and cared for. I asked her husband what was going on. "She drank the daquiries, right?" Yup. (I didn't know about this at the time). "No big deal, she'll be sick for a few minutes and all will be OK." Sure enough. This was when I was quite young, now I know it is common. But this kind of allergy is one thing. My husband's allergy to insect stings is another thing entirely, as is that allergy to peanuts or some shell fish. 15 min (or overnight in the bathroom) will NOT purge it, you will die within minutes. There should be a different word for it.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #29
Executive Chef
 
redkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
Yes Claire, their is a difference between a food allergy and food intollerance. Most people suffer the intollerance, such as myself.
__________________
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #30
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 101
Food allergies

A lot of people do confuse food allergy and food intolerance, another classification is food sensitivity, which is also different from a true allergy. That is why it is always important to ask your doctor if you think you may have an allergy. I was told mine is a true allergy, and with each exposure my risk of a more dangerous response gets greater. I was told by my doctor that if I am not careful to avoid the peppers it can become as bad as peanut allergies are for some people. I learned the other day how careful I need to be because I ate a TV dinner I "thought" was safe, only to find out I was wrong. I made the mistake of not reading the ingredient list because I did not expect to find chili peppers in a ginger-garlic sauce! From now on I read All ingredient lables! Fortunately so far Benadryl works to stop my reactions, as long as I take it right away. And the benadryl goes everywhere with me!

Kadde
__________________

__________________
Kaddehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.