"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Food allergies

I'm curious if anyone has food allergies here?

If so, what are you allergic to, what happens when you eat those foods and do you take any medication or supplements?

Thank you!!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Master Chef

I am allergic to melons and to eggplant.

They are easy to avoid, but if I do eat some by mistake, I take a Bendryl.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

For some strange reason, I am allergic to peas. My throat swells shut. I had some scary times as a child before they found out what was wrong.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Head Chef

I have transient allergies, much less of a problem now than when I was a teen. I went through a phase of being very sensitive to the vit c rich fruits....oranges, etc...and had various degrees of response from mild irritation to skin/lips, to sweeling tongue, bad skin reafctions etc the pain is they change...I can eat oranges now but sometimes reat to pineapple and strawberries. I am not sensible. I go with my gut feeling...if I think I can eat it, I probably can....if I've had problems with it before and haven't had any for a while (ie a few weeks) I touch it to my lip for a moment, see how it feels and if its ok go ahead. My reaction has always been slow enough that I feel confident doing this, and have been able to get an idea from my lips.....but I realise its paying with fire. I don't know if I would have full blown anaphalactic hock now, or just reactions, but I'm not prepared to give up fruit if I can still eat it! I have not had a sweeling of the tongue/throat type reaction since I was about 22 (so over five years)
Old 04-19-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I am allergic to clams. They cause severe gastro-intestinal distress.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
Master Chef

I personally don't have reactions to food in the way others do. I have trouble with raw onions causing indegestion and cucumbers are a natural laxative for me. My DH however is allergic to only Brazil nuts. He can eat any other kind of nut but that one. When he has brazil nuts, his throat gets itchy and he vomits and eyes swell. My older son is starting to have reactions to seafood (and he's a hibachi chef!).
Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I am allergic to dirty dishes, pots, pans, and silverware. Does that count?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I am allergic to dirty dishes, pots, pans, and silverware. Does that count?
LOL!

Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I wasn't allergic to dairy but I was very intolerant for 12 years. I would get hives, hot & cold sweats, vomit & have the runs within 20 to 30 minutes of eating. After trying every herbal supplement & seeing tons of medical doctors (upper/lower gi's, etc.), I starting doing research on body cleanses. I found a lot of information suggesting a build up of toxins that would not allow you to digest certain foods. I did Stanley Burrough's lemonade fast for 10 days. Since then I have been able to eat anything & everything. I do the fast now once a year just to be healthy. It has changed my life drastically, I used to dread going to people's houses for dinner....always worrying where a bathroom was...always worrying what the ingredients were at restaurants... worrying about traveling to foreign countries...etc. Traveling, eating & entertaining are much more enjoyable now....it's been four years!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks for the reply Clienta, I've also done the MC for ten days last month. It was my third time doing it but the first time I made it ten days. It has helped with some irritating symptoms I've been having, but something still isn't right. I think I've narrowed it down to either food allergies or low digestive enzymes. I'm meeting with a naturopathy/nutritionist next week and I'm hoping she might help me find some answers.

Great to hear from someone else who has done the MC! I loved what it did for my body and was so proud of myself for sticking it out! So many people try it but fail after a day or two.