Food allergies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
I'm curious if anyone has food allergies here?

If so, what are you allergic to, what happens when you eat those foods and do you take any medication or supplements?

Thank you!! ;)

For some strange reason, I am allergic to peas. My throat swells shut. I had some scary times as a child before they found out what was wrong.

I have transient allergies, much less of a problem now than when I was a teen. I went through a phase of being very sensitive to the vit c rich fruits....oranges, etc...and had various degrees of response from mild irritation to skin/lips, to sweeling tongue, bad skin reafctions etc the pain is they change...I can eat oranges now but sometimes reat to pineapple and strawberries. I am not sensible. I go with my gut feeling...if I think I can eat it, I probably can....if I've had problems with it before and haven't had any for a while (ie a few weeks) I touch it to my lip for a moment, see how it feels and if its ok go ahead. My reaction has always been slow enough that I feel confident doing this, and have been able to get an idea from my lips.....but I realise its paying with fire. I don't know if I would have full blown anaphalactic hock now, or just reactions, but I'm not prepared to give up fruit if I can still eat it! I have not had a sweeling of the tongue/throat type reaction since I was about 22 (so over five years)

I personally don't have reactions to food in the way others do. I have trouble with raw onions causing indegestion and cucumbers are a natural laxative for me. My DH however is allergic to only Brazil nuts. He can eat any other kind of nut but that one. When he has brazil nuts, his throat gets itchy and he vomits and eyes swell. My older son is starting to have reactions to seafood (and he's a hibachi chef!).

I wasn't allergic to dairy but I was very intolerant for 12 years. I would get hives, hot & cold sweats, vomit & have the runs within 20 to 30 minutes of eating. After trying every herbal supplement & seeing tons of medical doctors (upper/lower gi's, etc.), I starting doing research on body cleanses. I found a lot of information suggesting a build up of toxins that would not allow you to digest certain foods. I did Stanley Burrough's lemonade fast for 10 days. Since then I have been able to eat anything & everything. I do the fast now once a year just to be healthy. It has changed my life drastically, I used to dread going to people's houses for dinner....always worrying where a bathroom was...always worrying what the ingredients were at restaurants... worrying about traveling to foreign countries...etc. Traveling, eating & entertaining are much more enjoyable now....it's been four years!:)

Thanks for the reply Clienta, I've also done the MC for ten days last month. It was my third time doing it but the first time I made it ten days. It has helped with some irritating symptoms I've been having, but something still isn't right. I think I've narrowed it down to either food allergies or low digestive enzymes. I'm meeting with a naturopathy/nutritionist next week and I'm hoping she might help me find some answers.

Great to hear from someone else who has done the MC! I loved what it did for my body and was so proud of myself for sticking it out! So many people try it but fail after a day or two.

All the sudden in the last year or two I have developed an allergy to either shellfish or seafood. (or both) If I eat it now I will get violently ill and my face swells and becomes a huge hive. The worst part is I LOVE seafood. So every now and then I say to heck with it and eat it anyway, then I remember why I shouldn't. It's a viscous cycle.

Seriously, when I was a mere child, I went through the entire battery of "skin pop" allergy tests, and the doctor declared that I was allergic to bananas and chocolate. I still eat both, with no ill effects, except that bananas sometimes repeat on me.

Caine said:
...I went through the entire battery of "skin pop" allergy tests, ...

I'm not sure which were worse - the skin pop tests or the back scratch tests. It could have also been my mom's reaction when the doctor told her I was allergic to cows and she just about rolled her eyes out of her head. :LOL:

Anyway ... Cinnamon really upsets my stomach and I usually get a killer headache. Soy doesn't sit to well either - but only in certain forms. We did the Atkins so we used several products that were soy based and it just didn't work. Not sure if it was just the general change in diet or the soy specifically. Either way, unpleasant to say the least!

Last edited:
eggs, orange citrus and soy. Eggs and orange citrus make
my hands and feet swell and sometimes I will get welts.
I only found out about soy when I had a blood test for
allergins (couldn't do skin, was reacting to everything), I
don't seem to have a noticible reaction to soy.

Wow, Bandonjan, that must be hard having an allergy that strong to eggs. You must have to read labels for everything since eggs are in so many things.

I have found some great egg replacement ideas for baking, just made my first batch of vegan fudge brownies and they were pretty good!

Food allergy

How did your visit to the Naturopath/Nutrionist go? I have recently developed an allergy to chili peppers... weird. My mouth itches and burns and tongue swells and throat tightens. Doc said it could be as bad as peanut allergies if I don't watch out. You know how many things have chili peppers, crushed red peppers and such in them! No more commercial pizza, tacos, most spaghetti sauce, chili... etc. I am searching for recipe's for making these things without using chili peppers and have to be real careful when we eat out.

Kadde
:wacko:

Hi Kadde, funny you posted this today! I just went to see her again this afternoon! I have been taking digestive enzymes with food and thats helped with some of my issues.

That is awful about the allergy to chili peppers! You are right, they are in soo many things. I cook all my own food so it makes it much easier to just leave things out of recipes that I know my belly won't like!

Last edited:
I can't eat fresh pineapple. My tongue gets so excruciatingly sore. (Yes, I do remove the skin first :-p) I can't eat anything that got into contact with fresh pineapple as well.

However, I've no problems with canned pineapple.

Redkitty,
My reaction to eggs seems to be to a
certain amount. Its weird, I can eat an
egg breakfast once every couple of
months and be ok, but if I eat more than
that I have the reaction. I do use the
egg substitute and I can have more
"egg" meals. Just have to watch it. I
guess its more the yolk than the white.

Back
Top Bottom