"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mission, Texas
Posts: 2,686
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Foods with antioxidants

Dr. Oz Introduces Foods Rich in Antioxidants Take out those berries (sweet potatoes, tomatoes, broccoli) from the fridge and start cooking with them. This is great news that a lot of foods we love are really good for us.

__________________

__________________
Dina
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
redkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
Thanks Dina! I already eat all of the above!!!!
__________________

__________________
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
Humm ... Dr. Oz blows the theory that raw food is always better than cooked.

I guess I'm really lucky - I've always loved vegetables and eat a lot of them, and so did/do my children, and my grand-kids. I'm no vegetraian or vegan by any means - it's not a complete meals without some form of meat - but I also need vegies!
__________________
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,597
I actually pay attention to this when planning what vegetables to grow and eat. I used to never grow sweet potatoes, dh would not eat them. Guess he had too many horrible memories of being served a bit of sweet potato underneath a layer of marshmallows. He still grumbles whenever I serve them, but each year I plant a few more of them. I look at lists of the top ten most nutritious vegetables and try to grow some of most of them. I do notice that the top ten list will vary according to who is listing them, but a few vegetables are on all lists, namely, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and spinach.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
... I used to never grow sweet potatoes, dh would not eat them. Guess he had too many horrible memories of being served a bit of sweet potato underneath a layer of marshmallows ...
I know how your DH feels ... I hate when good sweet potaotes are ruined by being burried in a pool of brown sugar and under a mound of marshmallow glop!

I like mine baked (heck, yes you can nuke 'em) - sliced down the middle and loaded with butter, salt and pepper - and if I want to gussey them up some bacon bits, chives, cheese, sour cream, etc.
__________________
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
redkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
My favorite soup is Roasted Red Pepper & Sweet Potato, I make it once a week. Sooo easy, 1 big sweet potato pealed and cubed. 2 red bell peppers, seeded & halved. One red onion, sliced. Toss the potato in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, salt & pepper. Put them in a roasting pan, layer the onion rings on top then the pepper, face down. Roast at 350F for 40 minutes. Puree in a food processor with 1 1/2 - 2 cups veggie stock, add some cayenne pepper for spunkiness! Pour into bowls and top with hot hungarian paprika!!

Loaded with antioxidants & vitamins and super tasty!
__________________
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mission, Texas
Posts: 2,686
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Humm ... Dr. Oz blows the theory that raw food is always better than cooked.

I guess I'm really lucky - I've always loved vegetables and eat a lot of them, and so did/do my children, and my grand-kids. I'm no vegetraian or vegan by any means - it's not a complete meals without some form of meat - but I also need vegies!
I know protein is very necessary in our diets. I couldn't go one day without it. I think raw veggies are always better but I'm not against steaming or roasting them. What I don't get is when people boil them then throw out the water. Wonder what nutrients they're actually having from the veggies.
__________________
Dina
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
My favorite soup is Roasted Red Pepper & Sweet Potato, I make it once a week. Sooo easy, 1 big sweet potato pealed and cubed. 2 red bell peppers, seeded & halved. One red onion, sliced. Toss the potato in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, salt & pepper. Put them in a roasting pan, layer the onion rings on top then the pepper, face down. Roast at 350F for 40 minutes. Puree in a food processor with 1 1/2 - 2 cups veggie stock, add some cayenne pepper for spunkiness! Pour into bowls and top with hot hungarian paprika!!

Loaded with antioxidants & vitamins and super tasty!
thanks for the recipe rk!! I have heard you talk about this soup, but never thought to ask for the recipe.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I know protein is very necessary in our diets. I couldn't go one day without it. I think raw veggies are always better but I'm not against steaming or roasting them. What I don't get is when people boil them then throw out the water. Wonder what nutrients they're actually having from the veggies.
Cooking vegetables is not all bad. Regarding carrots, more nutrients are made available after cooking them, than are available when eating them raw. But that is the exception.

you lose some of the water soluable vitamins, but the fat soluable vitamins and the fiber is still available when cooking veggies. Lightly cooking vegetables is excellent.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CHINATOWN
Posts: 2,314
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I always load up on foods, beverages, and supplements that provide an assortment of antioxidants. I don't want to get rusty!
__________________

__________________
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.