"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

For allergy elimination diet-something with broccoli

Anyone have an idea for a recipe with broccoli and rice pasta? I'm on an allergy elimination diet, so no wheat, soy, milk, peanuts, eggs, oranges, etc. I have this lemony olive oil from Trader Joe's that might go good... maybe steam the broccoli partly, finish in a skillet with garlic, then toss with rice pasta and lemony olive oil?

I'm not experienced so if you have a recipe idea I need the steps spelled out to some degree.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Sue-Zee-Q

Hi Mike,

What you said sounds delicious :-)

What exactly are you trying to find out you are allergic to? Or have you just been told to eliminate everything and start adding things back in gradually after a 2 week cleanse?

I suggest trying the following sauce if you like a cream/cheese sauce:

1 tablespoon olive oil, heated
1 tablespoon flour (your choice of buckwheat, rice, spelt, kamut)
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 cup milk (rice in your case)
1/2 cup of rice milk cheese, grated

Heat the olive oil then whisk in the flour, add the milk, mustard powder, cheese and of course salt to your taste. Heat through throroughly. Stirring constantly.

For a thicker sauce, add more oil and flour in equal amounts, but you have to decide how thick you like the sauce. I have never tried this with any flour other than wheat or anything other than cow's milk. So I don't know how this will turn out.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue-Zee-Q View Post
Hi Mike,

What exactly are you trying to find out you are allergic to? Or have you just been told to eliminate everything and start adding things back in gradually after a 2 week cleanse?
Yeah, eliminate everything, then add back in one at a time. I'm also going on an extended trip in November (fortunately will have access to kitchen and plenty of standard health food stores) and I don't want to mess with adding things in during that time, so I probably will be on this diet for over 6 weeks. But I just did a juice fast and I feel terrific, so I'm looking forward to feeling better! Who cares if it takes 2 months if you feel better!

Thanks for the recipe idea. I've never heard of rice milk cheese but maybe Whole Foods has it.

Mike
Old 10-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Sue-Zee-Q

I got it at a mainstream grocery store in Canada. It doesn't have the same sort of sharp taste that cheddar has, and the texture is slightly different, but I like it. As well, is goat's milk out of the question for you?
Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsrcute View Post
Anyone have an idea for a recipe with broccoli and rice pasta? I'm on an allergy elimination diet, so no wheat, soy, milk, peanuts, eggs, oranges, etc. I have this lemony olive oil from Trader Joe's that might go good... maybe steam the broccoli partly, finish in a skillet with garlic, then toss with rice pasta and lemony olive oil?

I'm not experienced so if you have a recipe idea I need the steps spelled out to some degree.

Thanks,
Mike
Braise the broccoli in a small skillet in chicken broth with a splash (1-2 tbls) of your lemony olive oil and a tbl of butter (If you can have it.)
Add a bit of diced garlic...I think that's good for you?
Cook your noodles, drain (save 1-2 cups of the cooking liquid), toss with a couple splashes of your olive oil, salt, pepper, and the broccoli, including the pan juices.
It may need more liquid, as the noodles will continue soaking up the juices, so stir in the reserved pasta water a little at a time until the sauce is juicy.

Plate up, top with lots of freshly grated parmasan, and serve with crusty bread.

You could all kinds of things to the dish...crumbled cooked bacon, halved cherry tomatoes, olives, anchovies, bites of chicken...you name it.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue-Zee-Q View Post
I got it at a mainstream grocery store in Canada. It doesn't have the same sort of sharp taste that cheddar has, and the texture is slightly different, but I like it. As well, is goat's milk out of the question for you?
You know, I don't know if goat's milk is okay. I think it might be. I'll have to check with my doctor. Goat cheese might be a terrific addition to this recipe.

-Mike
Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
Master Chef

I understand allergy elimination diets - and to conform with what you have said you can have .... you might try this which is a take-off on a pasta dish I love ...

1 Pkg of Rice noodles
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for dressing)
3-4 (or more to taste) cloves garlic, minced
8-12 oz pkg frozen broccoli florettes (thawed)
Pinch of salt

1. Add the olive oil and garlic to a cold skillet - and heat over med-hi until bubbles begin to appear around the garlic ... cover, remove from the heat, and wait 30-minutes. You don't have to let the garlic steep for 30-mins but it makes a difference in the flavor.

2. Heat the skillet up again, and add the broccoli, salt, stir to coat the broccoli - and put the water on to boil for your noodles.

3. Stir and cook the broccoli until it turns to a mush ... add more olive oil if it gets too thinck, if you wish. Cook your noodles.

4. Drain the noodles - serve the broccoli mush on top as a "sauce".

Obviously - as you eleminate what you are not allergic to you can add other things - like onions, mushrooms, cheeses, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, fettuccine, etc.

FWIW: When I was a kid and going through all of this ... I could have goat's milk and sheep/goat cheeses ... but ask your doctor before you add them to your diet and blow the work you have already done!!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
Head Chef

I don't have allergies, thank goodness, but you all have given me some great ideas for broccoli and rice, and other stuff. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #9
Sue-Zee-Q

Lightbulb How did your elimination diet broccoli rice pasta dish go?

Usually people who are allergic to cow's milk, can handle goat's milk. The fats are easier for us to process. I had to give up all forms of sugar (lactose, fructose, maltose, dextrose, sugar, artificial sweetners and all the things that create sugar in the body - like wheat, white rice etc) and on that diet I could have goat's milk as I was told that goat's milk fat molecules are smaller than cow's milk molecules. Some people give their babies goat's milk instead of formula. Did everything go ok with your dish? I have some recipes that omit those kinds of foods, there are really good grain substitutes like quinoa (which is a protein and grain), millet and they are good because they don't have gluten (the protein in wheat). As well, if you are supposed to eliminate dairy, look for casein on all labels of cheese, as casein is the protein in dairy.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:38 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

For some reason I didn't get email about the follow-ups so I didn't respond. I followed the recipe above for braising the broccoli. The rice pasta was delicious.. I didn't realize it could be so good. I undercooked the broccoli slightly, not my favorite way to eat it. I also discovered I was out of lemon-flavored olive oil so I used regular olive oil and drizzled some lemon juice on.

Tonight I followed a recipe in the "5 in 10" cookbook for asparagus with warm tomato vinaigrette. Amazing. Instead of honey I used agave syrup, which is supposed to be a low-glycemic index sweetener.

Best,
Mike