For allergy elimination diet-something with broccoli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratsrcute

Assistant Cook
Anyone have an idea for a recipe with broccoli and rice pasta? I'm on an allergy elimination diet, so no wheat, soy, milk, peanuts, eggs, oranges, etc. I have this lemony olive oil from Trader Joe's that might go good... maybe steam the broccoli partly, finish in a skillet with garlic, then toss with rice pasta and lemony olive oil?

I'm not experienced so if you have a recipe idea I need the steps spelled out to some degree.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

What you said sounds delicious :)

What exactly are you trying to find out you are allergic to? Or have you just been told to eliminate everything and start adding things back in gradually after a 2 week cleanse?

I suggest trying the following sauce if you like a cream/cheese sauce:

1 tablespoon olive oil, heated
1 tablespoon flour (your choice of buckwheat, rice, spelt, kamut)
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 cup milk (rice in your case)
1/2 cup of rice milk cheese, grated

Heat the olive oil then whisk in the flour, add the milk, mustard powder, cheese and of course salt to your taste. Heat through throroughly. Stirring constantly.

For a thicker sauce, add more oil and flour in equal amounts, but you have to decide how thick you like the sauce. I have never tried this with any flour other than wheat or anything other than cow's milk. So I don't know how this will turn out.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

What exactly are you trying to find out you are allergic to? Or have you just been told to eliminate everything and start adding things back in gradually after a 2 week cleanse?

Yeah, eliminate everything, then add back in one at a time. I'm also going on an extended trip in November (fortunately will have access to kitchen and plenty of standard health food stores) and I don't want to mess with adding things in during that time, so I probably will be on this diet for over 6 weeks. But I just did a juice fast and I feel terrific, so I'm looking forward to feeling better! Who cares if it takes 2 months if you feel better!

Thanks for the recipe idea. I've never heard of rice milk cheese but maybe Whole Foods has it.

Mike

I got it at a mainstream grocery store in Canada. It doesn't have the same sort of sharp taste that cheddar has, and the texture is slightly different, but I like it. As well, is goat's milk out of the question for you?

Anyone have an idea for a recipe with broccoli and rice pasta? I'm on an allergy elimination diet, so no wheat, soy, milk, peanuts, eggs, oranges, etc. I have this lemony olive oil from Trader Joe's that might go good... maybe steam the broccoli partly, finish in a skillet with garlic, then toss with rice pasta and lemony olive oil?

I'm not experienced so if you have a recipe idea I need the steps spelled out to some degree.

Thanks,
Mike

Braise the broccoli in a small skillet in chicken broth with a splash (1-2 tbls) of your lemony olive oil and a tbl of butter (If you can have it.)
Add a bit of diced garlic...I think that's good for you?
Cook your noodles, drain (save 1-2 cups of the cooking liquid), toss with a couple splashes of your olive oil, salt, pepper, and the broccoli, including the pan juices.
It may need more liquid, as the noodles will continue soaking up the juices, so stir in the reserved pasta water a little at a time until the sauce is juicy.

Plate up, top with lots of freshly grated parmasan, and serve with crusty bread.

You could all kinds of things to the dish...crumbled cooked bacon, halved cherry tomatoes, olives, anchovies, bites of chicken...you name it.

Last edited:
I got it at a mainstream grocery store in Canada. It doesn't have the same sort of sharp taste that cheddar has, and the texture is slightly different, but I like it. As well, is goat's milk out of the question for you?

You know, I don't know if goat's milk is okay. I think it might be. I'll have to check with my doctor. Goat cheese might be a terrific addition to this recipe.

-Mike

I understand allergy elimination diets - and to conform with what you have said you can have .... you might try this which is a take-off on a pasta dish I love ...

1 Pkg of Rice noodles
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for dressing)
3-4 (or more to taste) cloves garlic, minced
8-12 oz pkg frozen broccoli florettes (thawed)
Pinch of salt

1. Add the olive oil and garlic to a cold skillet - and heat over med-hi until bubbles begin to appear around the garlic ... cover, remove from the heat, and wait 30-minutes. You don't have to let the garlic steep for 30-mins but it makes a difference in the flavor.

2. Heat the skillet up again, and add the broccoli, salt, stir to coat the broccoli - and put the water on to boil for your noodles.

3. Stir and cook the broccoli until it turns to a mush ... add more olive oil if it gets too thinck, if you wish. Cook your noodles.

4. Drain the noodles - serve the broccoli mush on top as a "sauce".

Obviously - as you eleminate what you are not allergic to you can add other things - like onions, mushrooms, cheeses, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, fettuccine, etc.

FWIW: When I was a kid and going through all of this ... I could have goat's milk and sheep/goat cheeses ... but ask your doctor before you add them to your diet and blow the work you have already done!!!!

Last edited:
I don't have allergies, thank goodness, but you all have given me some great ideas for broccoli and rice, and other stuff. Thanks.

How did your elimination diet broccoli rice pasta dish go?

Usually people who are allergic to cow's milk, can handle goat's milk. The fats are easier for us to process. I had to give up all forms of sugar (lactose, fructose, maltose, dextrose, sugar, artificial sweetners and all the things that create sugar in the body - like wheat, white rice etc) and on that diet I could have goat's milk as I was told that goat's milk fat molecules are smaller than cow's milk molecules. Some people give their babies goat's milk instead of formula. Did everything go ok with your dish? I have some recipes that omit those kinds of foods, there are really good grain substitutes like quinoa (which is a protein and grain), millet and they are good because they don't have gluten (the protein in wheat). As well, if you are supposed to eliminate dairy, look for casein on all labels of cheese, as casein is the protein in dairy.

Last edited:
For some reason I didn't get email about the follow-ups so I didn't respond. I followed the recipe above for braising the broccoli. The rice pasta was delicious.. I didn't realize it could be so good. I undercooked the broccoli slightly, not my favorite way to eat it. I also discovered I was out of lemon-flavored olive oil so I used regular olive oil and drizzled some lemon juice on.

Tonight I followed a recipe in the "5 in 10" cookbook for asparagus with warm tomato vinaigrette. Amazing. Instead of honey I used agave syrup, which is supposed to be a low-glycemic index sweetener.

Best,
Mike

Try looking into rice syrup for a sweetner, I don't know about the glycemic index value for it, but it is quite nice. As well, stevia is a good sweetner. It supposedly doesn't alter blood sugar at all, so it is supposed to be good for diabetics. One acre of stevia is the equivalent of 28 acres of sugar! So basically one teaspoon is practically the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar! It comes in two forms, powder (green or white) and liquid, and one drop is all you need in your tea or coffee. It has an after taste like black licorice. So if you don't like black licorice, you won't like stevia!

I understand allergy elimination diets - and to conform with what you have said you can have .... you might try this which is a take-off on a pasta dish I love ...

1 Pkg of Rice noodles
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for dressing)
3-4 (or more to taste) cloves garlic, minced
8-12 oz pkg frozen broccoli florettes (thawed)
Pinch of salt

I thank you also for this recipe, which I will try. I am just going to be starting an elimination diet on Monday. It was only today, after 4 days of research and planning, that I realized I can eat mei fun, which is a Chinese rice noodle, and something I actually like.

I am having a hard time finding recipes for this diet that are interesting, other than a few here and there from medical sites that I did research at. FYI, no dairy is allowed on this. I keep telling myself it's only for a few weeks.

My issue is inflammation, and a need to find what causes it. I know soy does, potatoes and all the nightshade veggies, but it's beginning to look like gluten is a problem, too. I have had so much pain from arthritis in my hip that eating a slice of whole-grain bread didn't change the pain levels, but eating a dish made with farro did, after I had done a fast for a medical procedure, and the pain went away.

But, I blather on...I am definitely going to try this. Broccoli is supposed to be really god as an anti-inflammatory veggie, and rice noodles are good for me, too.

Deb whether you make a salad, or stir fry, or just combine some starchy grains or root vegetables with raw or cooked vegetables, you'll probably want a dressing or sauce of some kind.

Combine some cooked fruit with vinegar if you can have that, or lemon juice if you can have that, some spices or mustard seeds, in a blender, and use that.

Oil/fat, of any type, and chicken w/any fat, will inflame your blood vessels and veins for 3-5 hours after you eat, so if what you decide to do doesn't give you the painfree results you are looking for, try to avoid fat and see if that helps.

Remove the ingredients that don't work for you.
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/quick-easy-cauliflower-cream-sauce/
https://myplantbasedfamily.com/2015/06/18/raspberry-vinaigrette-salad-dressing/
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/creamy-cilantro-lime-corn-on-the-cob/

First and foremost, get to 24 hours pain free, that would be awesome.

ps. we eat lots of broccoli every day in lots of different combinations of dishes.

Deb whether you make a salad, or stir fry, or just combine some starchy grains or root vegetables with raw or cooked vegetables, you'll probably want a dressing or sauce of some kind.

Combine some cooked fruit with vinegar if you can have that, or lemon juice if you can have that, some spices or mustard seeds, in a blender, and use that.

Oil/fat, of any type, and chicken w/any fat, will inflame your blood vessels and veins for 3-5 hours after you eat, so if what you decide to do doesn't give you the painfree results you are looking for, try to avoid fat and see if that helps.

Remove the ingredients that don't work for you.
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/quick-easy-cauliflower-cream-sauce/
https://myplantbasedfamily.com/2015/06/18/raspberry-vinaigrette-salad-dressing/
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/creamy-cilantro-lime-corn-on-the-cob/

First and foremost, get to 24 hours pain free, that would be awesome.

ps. we eat lots of broccoli every day in lots of different combinations of dishes.

Thanks! Yes, I was mostly going to be doing oil & vinegar, and the only oil I'll be using for now is olive oil. I do use sugar-free preserves with red wine vinegar for duck and chicken, but no artificial sweeteners for this diet, so alternatives are welcome. I'll check out those links - I think there will be a lot of things I can use once I get through figuring it all out.

For a sugar replacement, without the licorice taste, monk fruit is a low cal option that doesn't affect blood sugar at all. Here's a link - https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/monk-fruit-sweetener#weight-loss

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you. I did actually already buy some agave syrup, not being able to find brown rice syrup easily. I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it works. I do have the monk fruit on my list, but I didn't want to spend a fortune buying everything on my lists and find I'm wasting too much.

I also couldn't get rice noodles for that broccoli dish. The 2 pkgs at my supermarket were past the stale date :( They had some very, very extra thin ones like vermicelli, but I didn't want them that thin. So that's on hold till I can try another store.

I will try the monkfruit sweetener eventually, though.

It would take an awful lot of time to make rice noodles taste stale. Waaay past a date on the pkg.

I am going to try a different grocery store. I am sure they will have it.

And being inexperienced with home-cooked rice noodles, I figured better safe than sorry. I wasn't actually thinking of the taste, but that some foods are not safe if they go beyond the stale date. Maybe I should have said "last sale date" or "best used by" date?. To be honest, i have had plain rice go stale on my plenty of times, and it's annoying.

And being inexperienced with home-cooked rice noodles, I figured better safe than sorry. I wasn't actually thinking of the taste, but that some foods are not safe if they go beyond the stale date. Maybe I should have said "last sale date" or "best used by" date?. To be honest, i have had plain rice go stale on my plenty of times, and it's annoying.
Dried noodles and other foods can't go bad because pathogens need water in order to reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom