Free range, organic meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great post!

Where do you buy your Grassfed Beef? That is the only kind I want to eat but harder to find in the stores.

Some of the meat that Whole Foods carries is grassfed. They label their meat so you can tel which is which.

If your local farmers' markets are strictly for produce, you can find reputable merchants on line. DeBraga & Spitler is one such, and I believe Bill Niman (the founder of Niman Ranch) is now dealing ONLY with grassfed meat.

I'm lucky. I have several farmers at my local Greenmarket with whom I trade, so I haven't had to go looking for far-fl;ung producers.

Some of the meat that Whole Foods carries is grassfed. They label their meat so you can tel which is which.

If your local farmers' markets are strictly for produce, you can find reputable merchants on line. DeBraga & Spitler is one such, and I believe Bill Niman (the founder of Niman Ranch) is now dealing ONLY with grassfed meat.

I'm lucky. I have several farmers at my local Greenmarket with whom I trade, so I haven't had to go looking for far-fl;ung producers.

I know that Whole Foods carries grass fed beef but their prices are too high. I am trying to find a more economical source. There is a stand at the Santa Monica Farmers Market that sells Grassfed Bison. If you want Bison that would be good but I haven't seen any that sell Grassfed Beef.

I know that Whole Foods carries grass fed beef but their prices are too high. I am trying to find a more economical source. There is a stand at the Santa Monica Farmers Market that sells Grassfed Bison. If you want Bison that would be good but I haven't seen any that sell Grassfed Beef.

Interesting that you would say their prices are "too high," when you aren't listing anything for comparison.

For me, if I found the prices too high, I would then NOT be eating beef. I am not eating mass-produced meat any more. I would rather go meatless.

And truth to tell, we don't eat a whole lot of meat any more. Top quality IS expensive. but it's worth it, not just because it tastes better, but it is actually good for you!

Interesting that you would say their prices are "too high," when you aren't listing anything for comparison.

For me, if I found the prices too high, I would then NOT be eating beef. I am not eating mass-produced meat any more. I would rather go meatless.

And truth to tell, we don't eat a whole lot of meat any more. Top quality IS expensive. but it's worth it, not just because it tastes better, but it is actually good for you!

I get cheaper prices at Trader Joe but the selection of grassfed beef is not as varied so I would like to find another source but Whole Foods is by and large too expensive for me to shop in except for when I don't have a choice or for whatever is on sale. Buying off the internet from a farm is less expensive which is what we were discussing and what I was using as comparison.

Last edited:
I get cheaper prices at Trader Joe but the selection of grassfed beef is not as varied so I would like to find another source but Whole Foods is by and large too expensive for me to shop in except for when I don't have a choice or for whatever is on sale. Buying off the internet from a farm is less expensive which is what we were discussing and what I was using as comparison.

I guess I missed that part. Yes, that would likely be more affordable. I know I'm lucky to live where there are multiple small farmers who regularly bring their own meat to the Greenmarket.

Organic can sometimes be seen as a bit of a con. In the UK you have to pay to get your produce certified organic, this adds to the increase in price of organic produce. It doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't buy organic, even though perfectly good, chemical free produce is available which isn't certified organic.

A big concern regarding meat is whether it is fed organic or industrial matter. It is best to check if (beef for example) it is grass fed rather fed on industrial by-products such as soya or corn by-products. Who can forget Mad Cow Disease, the most infamous feed related health scare!

There are a lot of reasons apart from grass that causes beef to eat well.
The breed, the Limousin grows quicker and bigger than an Angus,it can be slaughtered younger, therefore it is more cost effective for the farmer ie profit not taste.
How it is slaughtered, distance of travel and the time spent in the environment of the abattoir, a badly stressed animal will not eat well.
Hanging or maturing causes the meat to lose fluids, breaks down the fibres and increases the flavor. A 30 day matured steak will weigh in at a min 10% less than a 15 day piece.
Fat is flavor, I am not a fan of fillet, it is the least exercised steak muscle so even with 15 days hanging it will be tender with little flavor because of lack of maturing and fat.
I come from a well off family, I can remember rationing after WW2, even for us a chicken or a piece of beef was a once a week meal due to cost.
ChefJune's comments are correct, given the choice of a quality piece of skirt for braising or sad cheap piece of steak for me the answer is simple.

I really wish I could afford organic. It is better quality meat and the richer taste is a plus. It makes me sad to see how our food has taken a turn for the worst over the last 20 years.

I really wish I could afford organic. It is better quality meat and the richer taste is a plus. It makes me sad to see how our food has taken a turn for the worst over the last 20 years.

Same here. I once bought a package of organic bacon. It was about 200 grams (less than half a pound) for about $10. Oh my, that was so yummy. It was so much more "bacony" than the regular stuff. I wish I could afford that stuff all the time. :chef:

$$$

You can get an awesome seasoned cooked spit-fire roasted whole chicken at Sam's for $5. But I wanted a fresh organic one to roast myself...$13 uncooked unseasoned organic free-range from Trader Joe's. Was it worth it? Well, it was delicious, oozing with juice, and healthier but I couldn't tell if it was great because of the meat or great because of the way I cooked it. I used Ina Garten's recipe for roast chicken. I think it was a combination of both.

Back
Top Bottom