Free range, organic meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The language of marketing bears no resemblance to actual English usage. Is it right?? NO! But, it still happens, what can we do about it, but point out the incongruities. And then we are told that the language is evolving...devolving is more like it.

I love the "sale" signs on the crushed tomatoes 2/$4! They are just $2 each for crying out loud.

I see canned broths priced: "10 for $10.00" or "5 for $5.00". I think they're trying to get you to buy those quantities.

I see canned broths priced: "10 for $10.00" or "5 for $5.00". I think they're trying to get you to buy those quantities.

That's exactly right! I highly recommend the book What To Eat by Marion Nestle. It's a big book but so worth it. It guides you through each section of the average grocery store and has lots of "insider information" on the politics behind marketing food along with general guidelines for determining the quality of different foods. It encourages the reader to shop the store's peripheral sections (i.e. dairy, produce, bakery, etc.).

and it works! :ermm:
Yes it does work. Like my dad said, people don't want to be limited. Someone may go to the store intending to buy 3 cans of corn, but when they see that it is 5 for $5, or that it is 30 cents off--limit 5, they will usually buy the limit. Kind of like saying something is $9.99 rather than $10.00. At a glance, it looks like much less to many people.

:)Barbara

That's exactly right! I highly recommend the book What To Eat by Marion Nestle. It's a big book but so worth it. It guides you through each section of the average grocery store and has lots of "insider information" on the politics behind marketing food along with general guidelines for determining the quality of different foods. It encourages the reader to shop the store's peripheral sections (i.e. dairy, produce, bakery, etc.).

Ditto on that, Snickerdoodle.

and you don't have to read the w hole book at once. It's gotSO much information I think everyone should have, especially folks who are raising (or who hope to raise) healthy children.

I am also someone who doesn't particularly look for organic... I think mostly because the term "organic" has become so adulterated, there's a whole list of chemicals that are OK to use and still call yourself organic. it's ridiculous.

So... I also go the local food route. In fact, I just put a year's worth of grassfed local beef in the freezer. It's better quality than anything I'd buy in the store, tastes great, and I know my beef had a nice life.

I've also taken the step and raised, butchered, and processed meat chickens with my mother this summer. Quite the enlightening experience - I almost want to say that if anyone wants to eat meat, they should be willing to do the dirty work themselves.

This may earn me a few flames and I realize it's my first post, but after I did my own chicken processing, it gave me a tremendous appreciation for the life of that bird and the sacrifice it made for me. Most people eat meat without even considering that it was a life once, are wasteful with it, etc. Raising and processing those chickens really gave me new perspective and made me much more grateful to have the meat and also less inclined to waste any of it.

I remembered how the Native Americans used to always thank their food for the sacrifice they had made, and so I did that as well. They also did their best to use ALL of it, and not to waste any part. This might sound kind of weird, but we really need to honor that sacrifice, and I think it is disrespectful to an animal that gave its life so you can eat, if you are wasteful with it or don't even acknowledge that it was a life.

OK so I totally derailed a bit... lol. sorry!

Don't be sorry. Being able to express your feelings freely is one of the things that make DC so special. You'll find many who agree with you and give you positive feedback, and the ones that don't agree will express themselves, but tactfully, so it's positive feedback too.

Personally, I thank the being that provides my nourishment and all the people from farm to my plate.

I am also someone who doesn't particularly look for organic... I think mostly because the term "organic" has become so adulterated, there's a whole list of chemicals that are OK to use and still call yourself organic. it's ridiculous.

So... I also go the local food route. In fact, I just put a year's worth of grassfed local beef in the freezer. It's better quality than anything I'd buy in the store, tastes great, and I know my beef had a nice life.

I've also taken the step and raised, butchered, and processed meat chickens with my mother this summer. Quite the enlightening experience - I almost want to say that if anyone wants to eat meat, they should be willing to do the dirty work themselves.

This may earn me a few flames and I realize it's my first post, but after I did my own chicken processing, it gave me a tremendous appreciation for the life of that bird and the sacrifice it made for me. Most people eat meat without even considering that it was a life once, are wasteful with it, etc. Raising and processing those chickens really gave me new perspective and made me much more grateful to have the meat and also less inclined to waste any of it.

I remembered how the Native Americans used to always thank their food for the sacrifice they had made, and so I did that as well. They also did their best to use ALL of it, and not to waste any part. This might sound kind of weird, but we really need to honor that sacrifice, and I think it is disrespectful to an animal that gave its life so you can eat, if you are wasteful with it or don't even acknowledge that it was a life.

I for one, want to thank you for such a well thought out post, Anna.
Lots of food for thought there. I've been blessing my food since childhood, and it gives me a reminder of the real reason for what sometimes is just a habit. Very nice post indeed.

I doubt that will earn you any flames here. I think your attitude it right on!

I have been trying to make sure my kids know where their food comes from. My wife was worried that it would turn them off to eating meat, but so far it has not had any appreciable negative effect and I am sure that they are learning valuable lessons from it.

I doubt that will earn you any flames here. I think your attitude it right on!

I have been trying to make sure my kids know where their food comes from. My wife was worried that it would turn them off to eating meat, but so far it has not had any appreciable negative effect and I am sure that they are learning valuable lessons from it.

I agree. I don't have any kids, but I always figured I would do that too. If it turned them off to eating meat, they could be vegetarians. :LOL:

When I was a vegetarian, I ate milk, eggs, and lobster. The reason, I have no issue stealing eggs from chickens or milking a cow or goat. It also didn't bother me to cook a live lobster. ;)

Great post!

Where do you buy your Grassfed Beef? That is the only kind I want to eat but harder to find in the stores.

I was getting mine from a local farm, but she went out of biz and now I'm looking again! I know there are a few of them on the web, but the shipping is outrageous!

I hear ya! Who wants to pay all that shipping! I wonder if there are any local farms in So. California for me to frequent?

I came to terms with the fact that an animal has to die to sustain me, I am very interested in the husbandry of those animals. I am lucky that near by is a small abattoir that has a shop, all of the animals are either his own or sourced from farms within a 20 mile radius.
I have one phobic inhibition, free range chickens and eggs, having seen chickens eating a dead rat, I buy the organic barn reared product.

Great post!

Where do you buy your Grassfed Beef? That is the only kind I want to eat but harder to find in the stores.

Actually my brother arranged it all, we shared one with him. I believe he found the local farmer on craigslist?

I have seen them before on craigslist and also sometimes they go to farmer's markets during the summer. If you don't see any on craigslist, you could always post a wanted ad to see, the wanted ads are great (that's how I found my house which is just PERFECTTTTT ♥)

Anyway, thank you for the warm welcome EVERYONE :) Most people look at me weird when I tell them I butchered my own chickens... one woman even got so upset and told me I was cruel and I should just be eating some chicken from the grocery store... I guess she didn't understand that grocery store chicken was alive too. And they get even MORE weirded out when I tell them that I think anyone who wants to eat meat should be willing to take part in the processing.

But oh well :) I guess that's what I get for being so... um... passionate about my food? :LOL:

Anyway, thank you for the warm welcome EVERYONE :) Most people look at me weird when I tell them I butchered my own chickens... one woman even got so upset and told me I was cruel and I should just be eating some chicken from the grocery store... I guess she didn't understand that grocery store chicken was alive too. And they get even MORE weirded out when I tell them that I think anyone who wants to eat meat should be willing to take part in the processing.

But oh well :) I guess that's what I get for being so... um... passionate about my food? :LOL:

I find this attitude in bigger cities. Here in Montana, alot of folks hunt to fill their freezers or know someone who has chickens, etc.

Me, I'm impressed and cheer you on!:)

I find this attitude in bigger cities. Here in Montana, alot of folks hunt to fill their freezers or know someone who has chickens, etc.

Me, I'm impressed and cheer you on!:)

Thanks :) Rabbits are next on my list... just got two kittens and I think I want to feed them a raw diet. I live in the Seattle area so I imagine I will get flogged by many many people... lol.

Actually my brother arranged it all, we shared one with him. I believe he found the local farmer on craigslist?

I have seen them before on craigslist and also sometimes they go to farmer's markets during the summer. If you don't see any on craigslist, you could always post a wanted ad to see, the wanted ads are great (that's how I found my house which is just PERFECTTTTT ♥)

You are lucky you had someone to share it with you. That makes it more affordable without buying too much beef. I looked on a website, I think it was eatwild.com or something like that where they listed all the farms in the different areas. The problem was getting it shipped, not wanting a whole side of beef, etc. Most of the farms were not local enough for me not to take a long trip to get it. No farms in Los Angeles that I know of, LOL! :)

Back
Top Bottom