Free range, organic meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fabiabi

Senior Cook
I was just reading a thread posted a while ago debating which type of ground meat is better for you.
I don't think it is so much which meat is better in terms of fat content, but rather that you eliminate chemicals from your diet, which is used to rear meat that is not organically produced.
I understand it is more expensive, but I don't think you can put a price on your health.
What do you think organic or not?

Not.

If eating meat is gonna get you, it won't be because of what the animal was fed. There are potential health issues with eating too much meat that are not alleviated by it's being organic.

I buy local, but don't worry about organic, because organic feed is almost impossible to buy here, and it is so much more expensive. The rancher who raises my beef does not use hormones or give antibiotics unnecessarily, like commercial producers do. Also, the hamburger I get is from one animal, not a mixed together batch of meat from who knows how many.

And I know that my steer has had a pretty darned good life, out on pasture for most of it.

Definitely organic, but also in moderation. But it does become a challenge for many people just because of the price. I agree you can't put a price on health but there are a lot of people out there that want only the best for their family's bodies but simply can't afford the organic meats when they are 2, 3 or 4 times as much as the commercial counterparts. After rent, diapers, gas/electric bill, etc; there sometimes just isn't enough. Period.

I think Americans, on the whole, could stand to readjust their budgets to allow for more spending on quality food. It's the people that can't go without their unlimited cell phone plans, cable TV "extra" packages, etc, but then complain about not being able to afford quality food... but I guess that's the American way - "I want it all and I don't want to have to sacrifice anything to get it all."

No organic meat here!
I get so many chemicals just from breathing the air and drinking the water that I am not so concerned with a tiny bit more.

Ain't none of us getting out this thing alive!

BTW.....I eat raw spinach too. If it kills me I will sue Popeye.

I buy local, not necessarily organic...but most of what I do buy could be certified organic if the provider could afford the certification. I am more concerned with buying local than buying organic or as I prefer "natural" meaning no pesticides or antibiotics.

Organic, free range and local.

There is so much most city folks don't understand. Free range means grass fed. You don't buy the organic feed, you grow it in your pasture.

There is so much most city folks don't understand. Free range means grass fed. You don't buy the organic feed, you grow it in your pasture.

Free range SHOULD mean grass fed. I'm not at all sure that's true in reality. In fact, the Federal Government considers chickens to be free range if the door to their coop is left open for 5 minutes a day - whether or not any chickens go outside.

...and ranchers can and do buy organic feed.

Free range SHOULD mean grass fed. I'm not at all sure that's true in reality. In fact, the Federal Government considers chickens to be free range if the door to their coop is left open for 5 minutes a day - whether or not any chickens go outside.

...and ranchers can and do buy organic feed.

Andy, the farmers I know harvest their own hay to feed the animals in the winter.

Although I am definitely a meat-eater, I am super fussy about where that meat comes from. I prefer to eat meatless if I don't know the source of the meat.

For ground meat or any, I only buy it from ethical sources, butchers who raise their animals under strict criteria, usually Sussex bred on our South Downs. Or, the Scottish Highlands of Aberdeenshire. Their meat tastes lovely. It’s organically reared, free range. Perfect. When I buy ground beef, it’s always Aberdeen Angus. It has limited fat content, too.

While I may be a "city" folk...locally, from 1 mile to 100 miles away from my home, I can buy all my fresh meats and produce. And I can walk the fields and pastures. I know my providers and their farming practises. For those items I buy in the store...I read labels carefully and recognize the names of ingredients I do not want in my food.

The provider of my corn and pumpkins is a mile away, from his small fields right here in town.

And always in the spring and summer: Clark Fork River Market - Saturday Farmers Market Missoula, Montana - Home

Andy, the farmers I know harvest their own hay to feed the animals in the winter.

Although I am definitely a meat-eater, I am super fussy about where that meat comes from. I prefer to eat meatless if I don't know the source of the meat.

I don't doubt the farmers you know do what you stated in your earlier post. It's just not universally true.

All my meat and produce are organic, every bit.

The only thing I eat that isn't organic is salt.

All my meat and produce are organic, every bit.

The only thing I eat that isn't organic is salt.

Getting into the elemental now...:)

I knew this would come up, it's why I disagree with the label "organic." But, it's in the "popular language" now, little we can do about it. I cringe the same as when I hear someone say, "110%."

Does popular language mean imprecise usage meant to convey a meaning the marketers wish you to believe?

I have cringed (and worse) over this since the first time I head someone say they were going to buy organic chicken. "You mean you are tired of the old silicon based life form?"

Does popular language mean imprecise usage meant to convey a meaning the marketers wish you to believe?

I have cringed (and worse) over this since the first time I head someone say they were going to buy organic chicken. "You mean you are tired of the old silicon based life form?"

Yes, that's exactly what I mean...we can fight it, but we will be steamrollered by the masses. This isn't a new arguement with me, my Dad and I discuss it all the time. It began when advertisers started replacing "C" with "K" and it continues. I'm going to start calling you Don Quixote:) and I mean that lovingly!

Yes, that's exactly what I mean...we can fight it, but we will be steamrollered by the masses. This isn't a new arguement with me, my Dad and I discuss it all the time. It began when advertisers started replacing "C" with "K" and it continues. I'm going to start calling you Don Quixote:) and I mean that lovingly!

This happens all the time and I really am offended by it.

'Chocolaty' means it's not real chocolate.

"No 'Product X' has a higher rating!" means there are a number of other products that have the same rating. You hear this a lot with OTC pain relievers. You know they are no better when they are trying to sell you on how few pills you have to take.

How misleading is it when a non-animal product has a banner on the label that claims "Contains No Cholesterol"? I've seen such labels on a jar of fruit preserves.

The list goes on.

How misleading is it when a non-animal product has a banner on the label that claims "Contains No Cholesterol"? I've seen such labels on a jar of fruit preserves.

The list goes on.

I've also seen cartons of eggs boasting zero carbs. But it just goes to show how uneducated many consumers are. They market that way because it has an impact... sad.

I love the "sale" signs on the crushed tomatoes 2/$4! They are just $2 each for crying out loud.

Back
Top Bottom