"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Master Chef

I do fairly well on the non-starch vegies, but not so well on the fruit. Tactfully said, fresh fruit has always hurt my very sensitive digestive system. Nexium helps the part above the waist, but that's the "end" of it.

I do take a multi-vitamin B + vitamin C every day. They used to call it "stress formula, but it's something different now."

Old 02-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
Head Chef

Perhaps it's somewhat of a regional thing, but my wife and I eat a lot of veggies and fruit, as do my daughter and her family. Usually we have a steamed green vegetable with most dinners, or sometimes a salad, unless the main course has a significant portion of vegetables in it (e.g., soup or stew of so sort). Potatoes or pasta never replace veggies but are served in addition to them. Tomatoes or or other fruit are usually part of lunch, and apples and oranges are consumed as snacks (our dog Cody likes them too).

I marvel at other shopper's grocery purchases, which are usually heavy on the packaged stuff and very light on the fruits and veggies, especially compared to our cart. On Friday I bought broccoli, cabbage, asparagus, onions, carrots, apples, oranges, tomatoes, and fresh rosemary. And that's a light load as I'll be away most of next week.

Frankly, I can't imagine life without this stuff.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I would bore you to death if I told you of the green beans, broccoli, steamed cabbage, mustard greens/turnip roots, boiled okra, zucchini/onions/mushrooms, yellow squash, eggplant,etc. I eat day in and day out during the week...along with very small amounts of peas, beans, potatoes. It's usually only on week-ends or special occasions when I "spoil" myself by eating Red Beans & Rice, French Bread, and Corn on the Cob boiled in Crab boil do I get excited enough to post a menu....
NOT BORED AT ALL!!! I'm in the minority at home, but I do love greens, especially turnip greens and mustard greens.

We'll eat broccoli a couple times a week, peas at least once, and spinach, cabbage, cauliflower and zucchini with relative frequency. I always have carrots and celery in the fridge that the kids and I snack on during the week and we have a big bowl for apples, bananas and citrus.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I try to incorporate veggies into every main meal, even though my youngest does not eat a lot of them. I always have a fruit bowl out and encourage them to snack on that. Mostly, the only options for dessert are fruit or yoghurt with fruit in it.

There is also usually a bowl of fruit salad in the fridge as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #15
Executive Chef

This is something I am very weak on and I do beat myself up about it. But it is also a seasonal thing. Come May, we are vegetarians, starting with asparagus and spinach and then leading into the rest of the main garden. But in the winter, I struggle with the veggie intake. Every weekend we have pancakes and I add about 1 cup of frozen wild black raspberries to the batter. If you count onions and garlic as veggies, then we are good to go!! And my pasta salads, in the summer, are heavy on the veggies; tomatoes, peppers, onions and garlic.

It is something I am very conscious about, but in the winter it is hard for me to serve the recommended fruits and veggies daily.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Master Chef

It seems I will plan the main dish and starch because generally those take more planning ahead than my veggie dishes so that is what I post. Often I'll just steam some frozen veggies or open a can (gasp!). We like the California mix, plain broccoli, asparagus, green beans (these have to be canned, no one will eat the frozen) peas or a salad of lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes. If we have corn, I usually don't make a potato or noodle side. We really don't get enough veggies and I rarely serve fruit with the meal. We do keep apples and bananas around to snack on and in season, melons,grapes and berries.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My kids actually eat more fruits and my wife and I do. We make sure they have fruits every day. We do not let them have a lot of the junk we eat ourselves. We should take after them more.
You and me both. My daughter eats apples and bananas and grapes all the time and I just leave them for her to eat rather than eating them myself. I guess I know she has more of a healthy diet than I do so I leave the good stuff for her.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i am old and in my day , we felt we had to serve a green and a yellow veg. i still do it today. not always both but most of the time at least one, and a salad. i eat some fruit and cook with it as well , in cakes and muffins, one of the reason i will plant container vegs. this year. like the idea of small amounts of fresh produce close at hand. i eat junk sometimes, doesn't everyone?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #19
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Asmodean Send a message via Skype™ to Asmodean
This whole premise reminds me of certain members of my family raving over garlic bread and other bread with a pasta dinner. I just can't bring myself to eat all of those starches at one time!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Smile

My diet is heavy with vegetables - hardly any red meat - fish or
beans for protein.
I cook lots of lentil based stews and always put in carrots/zucchini/turnips/tomato/radish etc.etc.

I cook Chinese greens at least once a week - simply boil in water and
dress with Oyster Sauce.

Salads and slaws in summer / veggie soups and stews in winter.