"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Fruits and veggies in your diet

Hi, all. I've noticed that on the daily menu, often there is no fruit or non-starch veggie listed as part of dinner. I'm just curious if people don't think to include that, or if many people just don't have non-starch veggies very often. For example, baked chicken and potatoes with pasta salad doesn't include any non-starch veggies (starchy veggies include beans, peas, corn and potatoes).

Just wondering how many people make an effort to include veggies and fruit in their daily menu.

Here's a resource I've been reading tonight: Fruits & Veggies Matter: Home: Eat a Colorful Variety of Fruits and Vegetables Every Day for Better Health | CDC

Old 02-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have tried to dramatically up the amount of fruit & veggies I eat. But I still fall far short of the daily recommended amounts. I'm lucky if I average 2 fruits and 3 veg per day. I try to have a fruit in the a.m. and in the afternoon and a veggie at lunch and 2 veggies at dinner - it is hard to get the recommended daily allowance in.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Well in your example above, the pasta salad could include no starch veggies. I use broccoli in mine.

I make a big effort to use veggies (and fruits, but usually those are eaten as snacks and not in a meal as often) in most meals. There are meals were I do not get them in, but for the most part I do.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Well in your example above, the pasta salad could include no starch veggies. I use broccoli in mine.
That's true, it depends on how it's made. Often, the ones I see have a relatively small amount of non-starch veggies in them (less than 1/2 cup per serving), but maybe it was a bad example. How about chicken, potatoes and bread? Or spaghetti with chicken Alfredo sauce and bread?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
How about chicken, potatoes and bread? Or spaghetti with chicken Alfredo sauce and bread?
When I do something like that I almost always serve a veggie dish as well.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I'm definitely guilty of not getting enough fruits and veggies or any kind. Today's "veggie" was cilantro in my sour cream for my tacos.

I realized recently I need to totally re-evaluate my food intake. Green onions in a chicken ball are not a daily serving of veggies.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Head Chef

Even as a vegetarian, I still watch for veggies when its a starch filled dinner.

IF its A Pasta, ill try to have a salad. Or maybe some green beans, spinach.... Often Ill make 2 lists for the week. The first column is the main dish , and the second column will be the side im planning to serve with the main course. Often my wife will hear me say " we need something green with that" basically meaning that I realize it is too starchy, and I need some green veggies to balance it out. As far as fruits go, Once a week I get produce, and fill a huge bowl up with oranges, apples, bananas, pears, grapes and cherries ( these I buy almost every week). Then if available, ill get mangos, pineapple melons, or things like that.

Even with the kids, if i just buy carrots, celery .. and leave them in the fridge, they dont get touched, so what ill do is cut them into little ' sticks' and just leave them out on the counter. They always go when i have them like this. I think my kids are too lazy to get it, wash it , peel it ..... but when already prepared and available, they snack them all up
Old 02-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

Although I eat a lot of veggies I still agree with Toots, it does not seem that I incorporate enough to my family's diet.

I eat a lot of beans and a good way for me to incorporate veggies is to make my dahl a bit sweet, sour and savory and add veggies (chunks of squash, cauliflower, carrots and assorted peppers). I mix in some rice to it so it's a whole meal.

I also make spinach often since my kids love it and I feel good about consuming it since it's good for health.

I am not a big fruit eater except for bananas so I don't get a whole lot of vitamins in fruits.

I guess like all of you, I also have to make a concious effort to ensure I am eating enough fruits and veggies.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

My kids actually eat more fruits and my wife and I do. We make sure they have fruits every day. We do not let them have a lot of the junk we eat ourselves. We should take after them more.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I would bore you to death if I told you of the green beans, broccoli, steamed cabbage, mustard greens/turnip roots, boiled okra, zucchini/onions/mushrooms, yellow squash, eggplant,etc. I eat day in and day out during the week...along with very small amounts of peas, beans, potatoes. It's usually only on week-ends or special occasions when I "spoil" myself by eating Red Beans & Rice, French Bread, and Corn on the Cob boiled in Crab boil do I get excited enough to post a menu....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote