Gatorade and Headaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I'm always fighting dehydration. I work in a hot environment (kitchen). And, if I don't make myself drink water, I will find myself with a headache so fast it isn't even funny. I drink coffee in the morning to wake up, and like to drink some soda once or twice during the day. Both are caffienated, and that makes you loose water. Through in a beer or two, and it's even worse, as alcohol is a dyuretic as well.

Some of you may know that one of my other hobbies/addictions, is using a metal detector to find older coins that were lost years ago. Well, down here in OK, during the summer, that's a very HOT pursuit. I've been known to carry canteens with Gatorade made from powedered mix, or I'll stop and get a large bottle of Gatorade.

A woman died during the Boston Marathon a few years ago because she drank too much water.

It caused an electrolyte imbalance.

If you are really dehydrated you need electrolytes, which is why "sports drinks" are so popular.

cliveb said:
Sounds like a job for MythBusters, Alix!
From what I understand, one of the reasons headaches happen is that essential electrolytes/minerals, etc., get flushed out of the system ( often after sporting activity), thus creating headache.
I do know that Gatorade gives me dreadful acidity!
Me, too, clive, besides it gives me HIVES!!! Gatorade has a LOT of corn syrup in it... just like soda pop.

jennyema said:
A woman died during the Boston Marathon a few years ago because she drank too much water.
I drank too much water once and came very close to passing out because of it. Luckily I had a friend there who saw the color drain from my face and noticed something was up.

perspriration and urination expells salts, Needed salts, excess water only dillutes what little remains, and thus you become ill.

Hmmm, interesting thread! I've known for awhile that if I drink enough water my headaches are better (although this cooler time of year I struggle to remember), but the water/electrolytes/salt comments were all new to me.

So am I understanding correctly? Just water's fine as long as somebody keeps up with it and doesn't get dehydrated, but if you've become dehydrated, it's better to replenish your system with something other than plain water, i.e. salt water? Can I be embarrassingly honest and say that I really don't know what electrolytes are even though I've heard of them?

I live in a hot country and have two kids out and running around in the summer. I need this information!

Ayrton, electrolytes are the minerals/salts in your blood. You don't want them to be too dilute, or too concentrated. The only time you need to worry really is if you are exerting yourself a lot in a short amount of time. Then something like Gatorade is a good idea to rebalance things quickly. It is by no means necessary as water is what is the most important thing. Especially in a climate like yours.

My original post was just to note that while plain old water doesn't work for me in getting rid of headache, the Gatorade did. I thought that was cool.

Do you have Gatorade or Pedialyte or stuff like that in Greece? My kids like it, so when they are doing their sports I usually have some for them. Otherwise, water is fine.

in it`s simplest form, it will contain a citrate salt a sodium and potassium salt and some glucose, idealy at the correct molarity.

jennyema said:
Some "colors" of gatorade have vegetable oil in them, too! :ohmy:

As does Sunny Delight which grossed me out no end. And yet my kids love the swill. Cottonseed oil? :sick:

This is why I'm relatively unconcerned about the amount of salt that I consume foodwise (within reason)...that way I can drink plenty of water and not worry about electrolyte imbalances. Personally, I only drink something like Gatorade on event days where I need all the help I can get.

YT2095 said:
in it`s simplest form, it will contain a citrate salt a sodium and potassium salt and some glucose, idealy at the correct molarity.

Humm ... sounds like a bottle/bag of Ringer's Lactate to me (or Lactated Ringer's Solution if you want to get more formal). Well, when I first started it would have been in a 1 Litre glass bottle- now it comes in plastic bags ....

Basically - if you go to hospital for dehydration they do not give you water ... they give you something to replenish the water + electrolytes (Potassium and Sodium and sometimes glucose). Ringer's Lactate, D5W, or Normal Saline - or a combination by IV. Since we have Gatorade these days- if your are conscious, you'll probably be given some to drink as well as getting the IVs.

Dehydration is usually accompanied by a loss of electrolytes and just replenishing the water without replenishing the salts/minerals lost will result in hyponatremia (water poisoning) which is caused by diluting the electolytes with water and not replacing the electrolytes that have also been lost. And, there is also a general loss of blood sugars which cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) that can also lay you out on the deck, too.

Oh, FWIW - the color of the Gatorade is only indictive of it's flavor ... not it's composition (as per the Gatorade website).

Back
Top Bottom