"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I know I'm always fighting dehydration. I work in a hot environment (kitchen). And, if I don't make myself drink water, I will find myself with a headache so fast it isn't even funny. I drink coffee in the morning to wake up, and like to drink some soda once or twice during the day. Both are caffienated, and that makes you loose water. Through in a beer or two, and it's even worse, as alcohol is a dyuretic as well.

Some of you may know that one of my other hobbies/addictions, is using a metal detector to find older coins that were lost years ago. Well, down here in OK, during the summer, that's a very HOT pursuit. I've been known to carry canteens with Gatorade made from powedered mix, or I'll stop and get a large bottle of Gatorade.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #22
Master Chef

A woman died during the Boston Marathon a few years ago because she drank too much water.

It caused an electrolyte imbalance.

If you are really dehydrated you need electrolytes, which is why "sports drinks" are so popular.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #23
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
Sounds like a job for MythBusters, Alix!
From what I understand, one of the reasons headaches happen is that essential electrolytes/minerals, etc., get flushed out of the system ( often after sporting activity), thus creating headache.
I do know that Gatorade gives me dreadful acidity!
Me, too, clive, besides it gives me HIVES!!! Gatorade has a LOT of corn syrup in it... just like soda pop.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
A woman died during the Boston Marathon a few years ago because she drank too much water.
I drank too much water once and came very close to passing out because of it. Luckily I had a friend there who saw the color drain from my face and noticed something was up.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
perspriration and urination expells salts, Needed salts, excess water only dillutes what little remains, and thus you become ill.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Hmmm, interesting thread! I've known for awhile that if I drink enough water my headaches are better (although this cooler time of year I struggle to remember), but the water/electrolytes/salt comments were all new to me.

So am I understanding correctly? Just water's fine as long as somebody keeps up with it and doesn't get dehydrated, but if you've become dehydrated, it's better to replenish your system with something other than plain water, i.e. salt water? Can I be embarrassingly honest and say that I really don't know what electrolytes are even though I've heard of them?

I live in a hot country and have two kids out and running around in the summer. I need this information!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #27
Everymom

Ayrton, electrolytes are the minerals/salts in your blood. You don't want them to be too dilute, or too concentrated. The only time you need to worry really is if you are exerting yourself a lot in a short amount of time. Then something like Gatorade is a good idea to rebalance things quickly. It is by no means necessary as water is what is the most important thing. Especially in a climate like yours.

My original post was just to note that while plain old water doesn't work for me in getting rid of headache, the Gatorade did. I thought that was cool.

Do you have Gatorade or Pedialyte or stuff like that in Greece? My kids like it, so when they are doing their sports I usually have some for them. Otherwise, water is fine.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Me, too, clive, besides it gives me HIVES!!! Gatorade has a LOT of corn syrup in it... just like soda pop.
Some "colors" of gatorade have vegetable oil in them, too!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
in it`s simplest form, it will contain a citrate salt a sodium and potassium salt and some glucose, idealy at the correct molarity.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #30
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Some "colors" of gatorade have vegetable oil in them, too!

As does Sunny Delight which grossed me out no end. And yet my kids love the swill. Cottonseed oil?