"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #11
Master Chef

I am not offended, but I do have to say "wow" as that is a lot to give up for Lent.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I find things are really regional. People around here give things like that up for Lent, but Sunday is a "free" day, so they can indulge. Whether or not that's true sacrifice is a whole 'nother forum!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Hello Emz

Cant u do your usual receipes but with no white sugar? Use honey or raw cane sugar instead. Also replace white flour with wholemeal.

Healthy possibilities
Oatmeal cookies
Flapjacks
Shakes made with fruit, yoghurt and honey
etc
etc

Mel
Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
Hello Emz

Cant u do your usual receipes but with no white sugar? Use honey or raw cane sugar instead.
Why would that make a difference? Sugar is sugar ...

From Dietary Sugar and Alternative Sweeteners :
Is One Type of Sugar Better for You Than Another?

The bottom line is "sugar is sugar." Brown sugar is sucrose, just like white sugar. Brown sugar may have had less processing than white, although this does not affect the nutritional value, or it may be white sugar to which molasses has been added to change the color and flavor. Raw sugar is also sucrose, just like white sugar. Raw sugar is just less refined than white sugar, but again this does not offer any nutritional value. Sugar in any form is not a good source of vitamins or minerals. Honey offers no special health benefits. Honey contains two simple sugars, glucose and fructose, which are the same two simple sugars that combined make sucrose or table sugar. The body uses them the same way, no matter what the source. These sugars have the same caloric and nutritional value. The largest difference is in the price and distinctive flavors. If you enjoy the flavors, these sugars are probably worth the extra expense.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #15
Everymom

I don't think they gave up "sugar". They gave up "junk food" which is open to interpretation. But since they are a group of teen girls, I'd venture a guess at things like bagged candy, chips, chocolate are on the verboten list, but baked goods are still OK.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

This is a really good recipe for healthy cookies. I love these. Jinxy Knows Best: Moving Away from Processed Foods
nesta67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #17
Senior Cook

There are lots of ways to eat healthy things that are sweet and satisfying. Like another person said, fruit breads and cakes are great (try a banana bread made with whole wheat flour), as are cookies and muffins made with oatmeal. This is how I ALWAYS bake, and I never miss the junk food.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I like the rice or popcorn cakes that are flavored with a glaze that makes them taste like caramel corn. With a little peanut butter and a couple of dark chocolate shavings (it's good for you!) one of these is a real treat to me.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Depending on one's definition of "junk food", this wouldn't be all that tough to do.

I'd define that as your typical salty, fatty, greasy, or sweet processed crap. So no fast food, no cookies or crackers, no pizza, no oversalted crap like Hamburger Helper, etc.

Basically, it'd be like eating the way you're supposed to every day anyway. Home-prepared foods with fresh ingredients.