"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 07-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
Cottage cheese on wholewheat toast.
Another muesli with yoghurt fan here (always plain, natural yoghurt - don't like the flavoured ones)
Chopped up veggies - tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, celery
Vegetable soup
Chocolate (oops!)

kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
I have been long trying to force healthy food on my chocolate-loving family, and so have had to find numerous varieties of healthy, tasty food. These are some of my favourites:

- Greek yoghurt (not natural - greek, not so sour and very creamy) with fruit puree (especially mango & strawberry) swirled through

- Tortillas cut into triangles and baked until crisp can be served with tzatziki, or mashed avocado mixed with chopped tomato & lemon juice make a healthy alternative to chips & dip.

- Fruit smoothies - banana, yoghurt, honey, berries, lite milk :) yum!

- "Cheesecake" (but not really) - lite vanilla yoghurt topped with crushed wheat biscuits. Very tasty - with the right yoghurt its reminiscent of good old cheesecake.

I also have a jar of nuts & dried fruit in the fridge (to keep the oils healthy) to snack on. I buy individual packs unsalted & unroasted from the natural/health food store and make different combinations. My favourite mix is almonds & cashews with dried apple, apricot, peach and sultanas.

Bridgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:17 AM   #13
Head Chef
Picking up on Kyles slip of chocolate, I found before i left UK I was eating a couple of squares of high cocoa chocolate I keep for baking, every day. It was not effecting my weight loss, and it gave me the kick I wanted in the afternoon with a cup of coffee. I usually don't eat chocolate that much....maybe once a month? but this was really boosting me. I was reasoning a couple of squares of good quality high cocoa sugar a day was better than flunking the whole eating plan for a binge!
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #14
Master Chef
Nuts - any kind any time!
Smoothies - fresh fruit and plain low fat yogurt with a splash of OJ and sprig of mint
Tomatos - sounds strange, but I like a nice fresh tomato sliced with a dash of salt and pepper or maybe a squirt of lemon juice.
Dried cereal - grape nuts, bran flakes, or shredded wheat... I have this thing about milk and will not eat cereal with milk. But love to munch on dry cereal.

Like you, I love to go out and eat and I hate restrictive diets. So I eat what I want, just smaller portions. Drink one full glass of water prior to eating. Lots of exercise.

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote