Great tasting, wholesome snack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feelslikehappy

Assistant Cook
Hey everybody! Is anyone else here trying to eat healthy? I love to cook, but sometimes I’m in a hurry with my busy schedule. So I’ve been trying to find decent snacks that still taste good. Recently, I found those new calciyum jell-o pudding cups and they taste great! And the fat-free and sugar-free kinds are great, too! and even better, they are a good source of calcium. Has anyone else tried them yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
My 5 year old eats them like candy. I buy a 'costco' sized box every week or 2.

IMO, those puddings are OK, but a banana would be better. You get potassium too, and don't have to worry about recycling the container.

And, if you are looking for more calcium in a delicious snack, try low fat or fat free string cheese, individually wrapped in single serving 2 ounce packages.

I wouldn't exactly call them "wholesome."

If I had kids, I'd just make them some pudding.

WATER, XYLITOL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 1.5% OF HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), SALT, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE (FOR SMOOTH TEXTURE), SODIUM ALGINATE, SUCRALOSE AND ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENERS), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR.

I try to keep different flavors of yogurt around & either add fruit or buy the fruity blends like lemon, berry etc. A new flavor I like is Chocolate Raspberry Mousse. Grab an apple, & you're good to go.

I was just looking at the Dannon site and came across some tasty-looking salad dressings to make with yogurt, if you're interested:

Enjoy Your Salad Days
icons_file.gif
Sweet and Sour Raspberry Dressing
icons_file.gif
Caesar the Great: Garlicky Yogurt Dressing
icons_file.gif
Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dressing
icons_file.gif
Creamy Feta Dressing

Last edited:
For healthy snacks, I would eat one of the following:
banana
apple
handful of almonds
small fruit smoothie (kids would love these)
small cube of lowfat cheese
handful of grapes

When choosing healthy snacks, try to pair a good protein source with a carbohydrate. Some examples:

-cottage cheese and fruit
-rice cakes/crackers and a bit of peanut butter or cheese
-yogurt and fruit or granola
-pita with hummous
-vegetable sticks with hummous or light cream cheese
-granola bar and a glass of milk (i like soymilk, but its personal preference)
-pear or apple slices with a bit of cheese or peanut butter

feelslike happy, You have been given several excellent suggestions for a truely healthy snack. Prepackaged pudding type snacks would not be a good choice, for the questionable ingredients and the wasteful packaging issues. Have you ever made cornstarch pudding? Very easy and tasty. Recently I have been into buying vintage ramekins on ebay and they make perfect containers for the pudding. One thing I have discovered about vintage ramekins is the size, they are much smaller than modern ones. Which is great for portion control.

My favorite quick snack is to slice a fresh apple and smear a light coating of peanut butter in each slice. If you use your imagination, it tastes like carmel apples.

Beth

Thanks you guys for all the tips and suggestions. In fact, I usually do eat a lot of the snaks you suggesting. I guess I was referring more to the times of day when im craving a sweet or some kind of junk food. The pudding snack definitely fulfill my craving, but without all of the consequences. I’m also a serious sucker for ice cream. So I’ll put the pudding in the freezer for about 25 minutes and it hits the spot.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=257161

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom