"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-15-2006, 12:29 PM   #271
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
90 minute workout yesterday - 30 on EFX and 60 on weights. Talk about soreness all over. Yikes!

Today, hubby is dragging me to the gym again but he'll go easy on me...so he says.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #272
Head Chef

Well, more active this week than I have been in three years! Yippee. We have walked for a few hours each day getting to know our new neighbourhood and the husbands new office is exactly half an hours brisk walk from home, so I plan a brisk walk every evening to meet him and then walk back together. It sounds feeble next to cross trainers and treadmills, but for me its a huge step!

Old 08-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #273
Master Chef

I try to run 5 miles at least 4 to 6 nights a week. Then I purchased a speed rope recently so if I need to, I can work out in the cool air of my house. Jumping rope is not as easy as it use to be, but getting better at it.

Also have a gym at home and work out on that nightly, different muscle groups. Also keep weights at work so I can do a little work out while I sit on the phone.

I have always done some sort of exercise and probably have done it for the last 10 years. I never diet, just use portion control.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:16 AM   #274
Master Chef

I have been so terrible this last week. I had guests, and my exercise instructor was out-of-pocket for a week. I did get to the gym for one workout, and did walk to town and back a few times. But I'm seriously behind the power curve lately. I have construction workers showing up at 6 a.m. every morning as well. I jump up when they arrive and throw on clothes so I can open the doors so they have a bathroom available. Then I fall back asleep in my recliner and miss my exercise class.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #275
Assistant Cook

Haven't exercised since I stopped going to my muay thai gym... that was months ago. -_-

Just some food for thought -- exercising more than 4 days a week is usually counterproductive, as your body doesn't have time to heal, assuming you're getting a good workout. Also, weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, so be sure to fend off those snacks (I have a very hard time with that one). ;)
Old 08-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #276
Executive Chef

Of the 14 lbs I'd lost, I have put 4 back on, so this week in addition to my 1 hour water class, I'm doing an extra 30 minutes there and at least 30 minutes on the treadmill. I hope to be down a dress size by Thanksgiving - at least.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #277
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by phu
Haven't exercised since I stopped going to my muay thai gym... that was months ago. -_-

Just some food for thought -- exercising more than 4 days a week is usually counterproductive, as your body doesn't have time to heal, assuming you're getting a good workout. Also, weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, so be sure to fend off those snacks (I have a very hard time with that one). ;)
Of course I have. Today is Wednesday, which is circuit training day. 10 machines, 12 exercises, 10 repetitions, 3 sets, with a 3 minute rest between sets.

As a certified personal trainer, aerobics instructor, kickboxing instructor, nutritionist, and senior fitness instructor, I have to tell you that everything you seem to believe about diet and exercise is wrong!

1. Weight training should be done every other day to allow for muscle repair and recovery, yes, but cardiovascular exercise, and exercising of small muscles such as the abdominals, can be, and should be, done every day.

2. Every pound of lean muscle tissue you create by exercising consumes 300 calories a day, just by being muscle, and even more when these muscles are exercised, so while it is important to eat the right foods and aviod the wrong ones, exercise is just as, if not more, important as diet.

3. On any successful eating plan, snacking is not only allowed, it is encouraged. You should eat at least 6 small meals and healthy snacks every day, at regualr intervals, in order to keep your metabolism running at a steady pace. Of course, you would still need to consume fewer calories than your body requires to lose weight.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #278
Assistant Cook

Today, no excersizing for me, as it was busy day!

but typical I do 30-40 miles per day on bike.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #279
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Oh, I'm feeling soooooooooooooooooo guilty. Haven't been to the gym in over 3 weeks. Here's a link that might be motivating for some of us: http://www.gleemagazine.com/glee/art...2299669/cid_36
Old 09-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #280
Executive Chef

First, Lou and I went bike riding for a little more than an hour. Then I weeded the back gardens for two hours. I had weeds that were taller than I and completely unidentifiable. I have no idea where these weeds came from. I am happy to say I didn't see any tiny snakes! I would have had to march myself directly into the shower and retreat to a day of bonbons and Lifetime television.

Three hours of exercise for me, today.