"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #291
Head Chef

Going to play badminton for one hour and a half this afternoon. I usually play for 3 hours every Saturday.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #292
Master Chef

6 miles today... realized it is getting time to buy new running shoes!!!! Ouch!

Ran 4... hustled 2!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #293
Sous Chef

At the moment I'm procrastinating from the treadmill - but not for much longer. I work out 30 minutes to 1 hour everyday. . . ever since my second baby was born 20 years ago. It's a big part of who I am now. Just last week (it's the busy holiday season!) I missed two days in a row. That hasn't happened in months and boy did I feel awful, terribly sluggish etc. etc.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #294
Master Chef

My normal weekly routine includes classes Mon, Weds, Fri, then on Tues and Fri I hike up a very steep hill to read to some shut in friends. Since I threw a big party on Sunday, I skipped my Monday class in favor of aerobic housework. But right now I'm gearing up for the hike this afternoon. I woke with aching ankles & knees, but have worked out the kinks.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:13 AM   #295
Senior Cook

Lifted weights tonight, had a hard workout and managed to do a few pullups! yay!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 AM   #296
Executive Chef

I'm now able to walk up stairs a little better than before with a little bit less strain, and I'm not as much out of breath like I was a few weeks ago! Feels like my strength is coming back little by little every day!

I think my heart is beginning to heal itself since it was put back into its normal beat. Still can't try to act like Superman while on the mend, though.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #297
Sous Chef

I do a 40 minute Bowflex routine 5-6 mornings/week- I HATE exercising but, I like to eat therefore I must 'flex! We also have a treadmill and stationery bicycle in our workout room which I completely ignore.The Bowflex is the best of the 3 evils for me!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #298
Executive Chef

I did a little bit more walking today!!

Went to see the cardiologist and got a fairly good report on the heart! Had an EKG done. Heartbeat seems just a tad slow.

She said things seem to be going a little better for me! A slight adjustment in the medicine to kick the heart up a notch because it seems to beat a bit on the slow side.

Other than that, prognosis looks good, and with time and patience, I should be almost back to normal within a few months, hopfully by spring.

Still have to stay within limits though, and can do too much for a while. The key to being able to return to good health is to stay in moderation with walking and walking up stairs and everyday things.

I just found out tonight that the landlord had the same thing just before he had his heart attack last year!! Didn't even know that. But he seems to have healed nicely and is back in good health, though he must take medicine to stay out of danger like me.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #299
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Jeez, I haven't been to the gym since Wednesday last week, more than a week! Longest break aside from being on holidays I think...
I try to go back tomorrow evening if I feel recovered enough, I have been down with influenza all week and have hardly ate anything, so I need feed myself well to stock up on some NRG and stamina too...
Old 12-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #300
Master Chef

I recently saw an ad for a medicare supplement that not only includes eye exams, but certain exercise classes at some fitness centers. For all of you seniors this could be a great option. Next time I see the ad I'm taking down the name of the plan to give to my gym's manager. There are a lot of folk around here who cannot get around in the winter months. The past couple of years my husband had problems with gout and arthritis. I doubt I'll ever convince him to go to a gym, but for some of you out there, I'll try to remember to update it.