Have you exercised today? Accountability thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to yoga today, which was fantastic! Hard, but good. And the night before I went to the gym and then had a swim.

I have been exercising nearly every day!!

Today I surprised myself by getting up early enough to attend the noon "aerobic dancing" class...:)

Yesterday I did a shoot exercise and half of Capoeira...
Half, because they were going to make us do a handstand so I walked out...!! Has anyone ever tried capoeira? It is a Brazillian dance/acrobat thingy... it was the second lesson for me, on the first one they made us do cartwheeling... well I managed that though it was a bit scary I haven't done that for 15 years, well there is a limit to things... handstand, no!! Probably they will make us do backflip on the next lesson... I am afraid someone will be dead sooner or later in these lessons!!
I bet Cameron and Grace would excel on this thing though..

I didn't go today. Curves closes at 11:30 here on Saturday and I really needed to get at my flower beds. I wanted to put out some plants, but started cleaning the beds and couldn't quit. They look better - but with no new plants. But I had a heck of a backache when I finished and sat in the tub for about an hour. Today if the first day I've missed since I started.

Gardening counts as exercise. I bet you burnt more calories doing that than you would have done at Curves!!!!

I walked to the farmers market and back, in the snow!!! Snow!!! in March!!!! The fishmonger and I were singing Christmas carols!!!

I have been VERY BAD and have done little exercising since this killer project I'm on went into overdrive in January. Got on the scale this morning and naturally I have gained back most of the weight I lost working at stand-on-my-feet-jobs and faithfully working out at Curves ( as opposed to the current sit-at-a-computer job where there is food and snacks of all kinds around all the time).

Don't say it - I know who's fault it is! Fortunately the weather is getting much nicer so it will be easier to get out and at least walk for 30 minutes now - if I'm not shackled to the computer when I get home too.

As Mr. Darcy said in "Pride and Prejudice", "I will conquer this."

I am an IFA certified aerobics instructor and personal trainer, certified sports nutritionist, and certified Senior Fitness Instructor. I perform 30 to 45 minutes of cardio six days a week, and perform an additional hour of weight lifting three times a week.

I haven't done any of that since Monday though, because I am doing my spring cleaning, and moving all my (mostly solid oak) furniture from room to room so I can steam clean the carpet has been more strenuous than any of my gym workouts.

I have only lost 7 pounds since I started my regimen the middle of January, but I feel so much better - more stamina, less pain, more energy. My body just feels better. I think I will have to pay more attention to portion control than in the past so perhaps more weight will come off. I've only missed one day since I started and that was to do some much needed gardening. I haven't used my personal training sessions yet. I want to get a little stronger in the water before I start that. My gd, gs and I are walking a trail near the beach this afternoon and that should be fun and healthy.

Way too many pages to find what I might have written months (years?) ago. I have a class on Monday similar to the "Firm" tapes. Weds is pilates with a little yoga tossed in. Friday is a half hour of step, half hour of ball. Then I walk anywhere I need to go that is under a mile -- and our town is vertical. I also walk to the gym Monday and Weds (3/4 mile each way). I find that getting out and walking is the most important part for emotional well being, especially in the winter. Even if the weather is gloomy, you still need those rays for your mental health. Today I fell down on the job. I had a doctor's appt for my ears, and I was warned that I might be dizzy, so I didn't get to the gym. I have to say, though, that I miss Jazzercise -- the dancing was such fun. I try to get to the gym for weight lifting whenever I miss a day of exercise class (often more wishful thinking than reality). All my exercise classes use weights, but I like to lift some heavier weights once a week or so.

HI Dina- It's nice to see you posting here again- Hope you are enjoying your job!!!Love and energy, Vicki

BreezyCooking said:
I did lift my coffee cup to my lips & back down again about 10 times or so. Does that count? Lol!!!!!

:ROFLMAO: I don't think so, Breezy!! Nice try.

I haven't today yet, too early yet.
I did 15 minutes of cardio on the elliptical last night. I have to work back up to my hour.

licia, don't get caught up in the "exercising for the sake of losing weight" vein of thought. It is only your way to heartbreak. Concentrate on how much better it makes you feel. I don't know how old you are, but I know way too many women who get caught up in the weight loss maze, and when they don't lose drastic amounts (and, to be honest, few women lose a lot of weight through exercise and moderate dietary changes alone), they give it up. A lot of people, both sexes, start an over-ambitious exercise program for their bodies, injure themselves, and quit. Or they lose a few pounds, "plateau", give up. Find a program you like, period, and stick to it. For me having some classes works, where my exercise buddies give me greif when I don't show up (and yes, we also eat together and occaisionally lift a glass together) works. What also works is a walk when I need to sort out my thoughts (I really don't like walking with another person -- I'm tall and tend to leave anyone in the dust, or they want to blab when I want to think). On the other hand, I often walk to get where I'm going -- usually the library, a bar or restaurant, the post office -- then I'm happy for company. Living in a small town is great for this.

My husband was diagnosed as diabetic recently, and we found the one thing that really keeps his sugar levels stable is getting out and walking every day. He lost some weight and "plateau-ed", which discourages him to some degree. BUT when he cannot get out for some reason and take that walk, it affects the blood sugar levels more than his dietary mistakes do. Like most men, he's terrified of needles, so he's really trying hard to control it as much as possible by diet and exercise. So far, after 6 mos, his doc is amazed that he even diagnosed diabetes to begin with. So get out there every day and exercise.

Weight loss is great, don't get me wrong, but it is only a part of your overall health.

Claire, thanks for your post. I would like to lose some weight, but I'm not doing the exercise program for that reason. I have RA in my hands and osteo in my shoulders and back and the water exercises are great for relieving the pain and helping the muscles and joints to perform better. I do Curves on alternate days and that isn't rough on me. I also have neuropathy in my feet, so I don't do the stations, just double on the machines. I've lost 7 1/2 lbs, in about 2 months, so that should be a good start. My dh does have diabetes and takes a pill every day. He was walking 4 miles each day and that really helped to bring down his sugar count, but he has hurt his knee, so will be swimming as soon as the water gets a bit warmer. With temps of high 80's and even 90 tomorrow, it shouldn't be long. I will swim some then too. DH doesn't have a problem with weight, so it was surprise to us when he was found to be diabetic. We both feel much better when we have enough exercise and will be glad when we can swim enough get the amount we need.

I did circuit training today. My circuit consists of 12 FreeMotion machines, covering every major muscle group. I perform 10 repetitions at each machine with no rest period between machines. I do three sets, taking approximately seven minutes per set, with a two minute rest period between each set. I followed that up with 30 minutes on the LifeCycle at 80 rpm.

I ran a mile on wednesday and felt pretty good about myself, but then thursday, my husband got hurt in a car accident. He hasn't been able to move much since, so I don't think we will be working out for a bit. :(

Sorry to hear that biev! Hope your husband recovers quickly!

I just exercised my jaw, eating chocolate that is an amazing 10% of my daily saturated fat in one square! So checking the box...I've eaten 80% just browsing dc!!!:ohmy: I also had a bunch of whipped cream on my whipped cream dessert earlier today. :angel:
Some exercise is in the forecast tomorrow. I'll stick Callum in the frontpack & bundle up the Aidan in the stroller and see about going for a walk at least. I'd like to run, but alone, so that is doubtful.

Back
Top Bottom