"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-18-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to RAYT721
Have You Found a Diet that Works???

There are so many fad diets out there. My wife and I have been on a Weight Watchers diet for about a month now. She's lost 24 pounds and I've lost 8.5. I am not following the diet as religiously as my wife but I am noticing that just the lower fat, lower calorie, etc. ingredients that we are using is helping to reduce the calories of the meals. The new "points" system that Weight Watchers uses is so much easier to follow that it used to be. I was thinking that we'd be drinking water and eating rice cakes when she first suggested the diet but that's not the case at all. We are experimenting with some excellent recipes that are quite tasty and quite filling. Of course losing weight isn't based solely on diet. We have both had to adapt a little bit more exercise in our lifestyle. I did want you to know that it WW plan IS working for us but was wondering if any of you may have found diets that work for you??? /rayt721

Old 07-18-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

WW worked for us. We just can't stick to it for the rest of lives.

Old 09-05-2004, 05:06 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Just found your question, there is a web site MyFoodDiary.com that is as close to perfection as can be. Check it out, you won't be sorry.

Good luck,
Grammadee
Old 09-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

My mom did the Atkins diet, ie no carbs diet. And she lost a lot of weight. But with any diet, remember to exercise regularly! My Mom did and she is happier than ever.

-ChefMerito
ChefMerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Isn't Atkins the diet Prez Clinton was just on?

Grammadee{(^..^)}
Old 09-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #6
Head Chef

I found South Beach and love it. Eating habits and lifestlye changed and happier.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I lost 50 pounds easily on low fat, but gained it all back rapidly (satisfied my craving for bacon and cheeseburgers). I lost 50 pounds easily on low carb, but gained it all back (satisfied my craving for bagels, muffins and cereal). A couple years ago, I decided that I was going to eat whatever I wanted - only in more moderate proportions. I took off the 50 pounds again (reached my recommended weight) and have kept it off for over a year and a half. Basically I slowly reduced my portion size (and caloric intake), but eat the variety I need to feel satisfied. It's simple to me: eat more calories than your body metabolism burns and you will gain weight, eat less and you will lose weight - but people don't want to hear that - they want a gimmick.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:03 PM   #8
Everymom

Otter, that is what I believe too. Although I am trying to get healthy by doing more exercise. As you can see from the number of posts I make each day...motivation can be an issue for me! LOL. Seriously though, I have a friend who is a dietician/nutritionist and she says that you NEED every food group to maintain a healthy body and the only way to lose weight and be healthy the whole time is to lower caloric intake and up exercise. Good for you on the 50lbs thing BTW, lots of work went into that I bet.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:08 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with Otter and Alix. Since July I have lost 10 pounds by exercising more (walking and Tai Chi), drinking at least four bottles of water a day, but otherwise just trying to eat a balanced diet. I even have a glass of wine (OK, two) while fixing dinner. Counting points, carbs, calories, yada yada is too complicated for me. This may not work for those with diabetes and other medical conditions where you have to be more vigilant.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:51 PM   #10
Sous Chef

What I found is that if I ate something that I didn't like just because it filled a dietary criteria I wasn't satisfied and wound up eating what I did want later. The net result was that I wound up consuming more than I would have if I had just eaten what I wanted in the first place. This week I've had beer, wine, bagels, french fries, cereal, bread, cheeseburgers, prime rib, salami, cheese, rocky road ice cream and a variety of other foods that people would consider diet busters depending on which hula hoop diet they are on. I prepare reasonable portions at home and never leave a restaurant without a full doggy bag.