Having friends over and I don't know what to serve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopper

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I need your help. I am having friend's over for dinner tomorrow night and then we will have a game night. My problem is this;
I was planning on having pizza, veggies, and Christmas goodies. Now I realize that one guest cannot have tomatoes or cheese. Should I just serve something else and not pizza, or should I have the pizza and something else? Would a white pizza be good without cheese? I have never made a white pizza before. Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
In my experience, people with specific needs generally accept whatever is in second place. I would create something as a side dish that would accommodate their needs without changing your menu. Or you could rethink the whole menu.

I like the German Potato Soup idea.

Make two pizzas one with tomatoes and cheese and one without. I am going to make pizza tomorrow with clams, onion& mushrooms. Just brush the rolled out dough with olive oil sprinkel with oragano and add toppings. You can use any type of fish,shrimp,crab, anything you can make a sandwich with, you can make a pizza!

Just another thought, coat the crust with BBQ sauce add sliced steak with mushrooms , onions. If someone wants cheese add it to the hot pizza.

BBQ sauce has tomatoes in it. I know because I was allergic to tomatoes and there were so many things I couldn't have.

I like the soup idea alot.

Another idea is to make foccacia on pizza dough (I use red and white onion in slices, olives, etc.). Just roll the dough out (even on your pizza pan) and brush with olive oil, top with the toppings and bake like pizza. You could have it and a pizza, it and soup or all three. Whatever suits your time.

Last edited:
You could follow the pizza theme by making a calzone out of some of the dough using Italian coldcuts and roasted red peppers and olives. No cheese, no tomato.

So many great ideas! You are all wonderful. I really like the soup idea, and I want it to feel like a meal for her even without the pizza. I like the idea of staying with the Italian theme too.

Sorry! I had to run out. Is it dairy in general that needs to be avoided? I'd do a potato bacon corn chowder if not. If you need to avoid dairy in general I'd do a beef barley veggie to go with, and have buns on the side. Need a recipe?

All wonderful ideas. I think I will go with the soup with sausage in it from Olive Garden this time, but there will be other times for the other ideas as well. So many soups have tomatoes or tomato sauce, so that was a tough one for me. I am a bit nervous that I will be making something for company that I have not tried out, but I really like the recipe. I wonder if it will keep in the crock pot after I make it......

The Zuppa Toscano soup will hold beautifully in a crock pot, Chopper. Personally, I'd line up mugs with spoons on the side and have everyone go at it with a soup ladle.

Enjoy your friends, they are there to enjoy you and the season.

Kayelle said:
The Zuppa Toscano soup will hold beautifully in a crock pot, Chopper. Personally, I'd line up mugs with spoons on the side and have everyone go at it with a soup ladle.

Enjoy your friends, they are there to enjoy you and the season.

Will do! Thanks again.

Oh my gosh the soup turned out great! It was a hit with everyone, and we had more friends over tonight for lasagna, and I warmed up the soup that was left, and served it to them. The soup was a big hit again! I used the little gold potatoes instead of russets. I had never made anything with kale before, but will make this again.

:clap: Glad you like that soup too, and it was a hit Chopper! Nice job, and thanks for the feedback.

p.s. I've also made it with cannellini beans instead of potatoes....also delicious.

Last edited:
Another soup that isn't tomato-based would be Italian Wedding Soup. I use kale instead of the escarole when I make that. It is quite easy to make. I use a recipe from one of my Italian cookbooks, but there are tons of recipes for this on the Internet.

I'm thinking pulled pork in a chafing dish, with honey-mustard sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's, or whatever you favorite is, and a good slaw. That way, people can put what they want on their sandwiches. Season the pork with a little salt, a chopped onion (while it's cooking), and salt & Pepper. Good buns, not full sized burger buns or Kaiser rolls, but dinner roll size, allows your guest to almost graze, and make their sandwiches petite. That way, it's not about the meal. It's about the activity. Annie veggie trays are then available to graze on as well. Keep drinks simple.

The pulled pork isn't the stuff that's Q'd for hours, but rather, a Boston Butt cooked all night in a slow cooker, with a touch of liquid smoke for flavor.

Easy, inexpensive, yummy, and fills the tummy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom